Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

I have a similar concern. 45 mins in Atlanta. I'm hoping since I'm flying Air Tran, the gates will be fairly close together.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Earlier flights aren't an option, my first flight is the first flight of the day leaving at 6 am. I have had a 30 min layover before, but it was in Salt Lake...didn't have any problems at all though! And Denver doesn't worry me- that's my "home" airport and I find it easy to navigate. I have had these flights booked LONG before any talk of furloughs in aviation talk started coming up. Guess I will just hope for the best.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Okay...now I am FREAKING OUT!!! I just went and read the faa links someone posted and checked the list of air traffic control towers that may be closing and guess what.... the one here in Idaho that I leave from is on that list!!! What do I do if it closes!?!?!?

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Well That link doesn't list MCO as one of the potential ones being affected....I'm guessin it's probably most of the airports that aren't the busiest???

We're also returning in Laguardia LGA in NYC too...None of those airports are on the list as of now either..

But 1 thing that I do have to say is, that I'm soo annoyed w/ Delta Airlines.

We used to fly Continental for hte most part but switched to JET Blue about 8 years ago...Jet Blue = the best IMHO

Well this upcoming trip I couldn't get good deals roughly at the7 month mark. So we ended up finding great deals for Delat if you sign up for AMEX. They also waived the baggae fees if you're a cardholder too.

Long story short: Originally we were supposed to leave LGA at 6:30 AM and arrive roughly 2 1/2 hrs later. Well 2 months went by & an Email was sent saying that flight was switched to 7:05...Not a huge deal but whatever.

Return flight from MCO 8 days later was originally set for 2:55 PM. once again E mail stating that they put us on a 4:05 pm. Then a month later from that they switched us to a 6:00 pm flight....At this point I was livid. We originally had 9th row seating Iand now we're in row 36... They said there's nothing they could do...I spoke w/ a supervisor only to have him say is the best they could do was put us in the preferred section but charge us 39.00 more a person..I was like How is that helping us... Well finally this past Monday they did it again!!! E mail this time changing it back to 6:55 PM....Needless to say I now was on the phone for a total 45 mins. this time, only to find that they did move me up to the 28th row (preferred) with no extra charge....But as we were about to hang up she stated , :
"Don't be surprised if you get another change between now n then." LoL I'm thinking why 4 times isn't enough??? My question is this. I've been flying for at least 35 years now, Has anyone ever had this or anything close to this happend, because I certainly haven't?

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Which doomsday scenario is this? There are so many out there I lost track.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
I just went and read the faa links someone posted and checked the list of air traffic control towers that may be closing and guess what.... the one here in Idaho that I leave from is on that list!!! What do I do if it closes!?!?!?
One the one hand, airports can and do operate without a tower.

On the other hand, many airlines as a matter of policy will not operate at an airport without a tower.

At this point, all one can do is keep a close eye on developments. Also note that even if sequestration does takes effect, furloughs of air traffic controllers won't happen until circa March 31, because 30-days notice needs to be given to employees.
Walt Disney World – 5/02 (CBR), 12/03 (CSR), 9/04 (WL), 9/05 (WL), 2/06 (CR), 8/06 (CSR), 10/06 (POR), 1/07 (WL), 10/07 (Poly), 1/08 (POFQ), 5/08 (WL), 10/08 (WL), 1/09 (WL), 5/09 (BC), 7/09 (WL), 10/09 (WL), 1/10 (WL), 4/10 (Pop), 5/11 (WL), 8/11 (CR), 12/11 (CR), 4/12 (YC), 1/13 (Poly), 3/13 (Pop), 5/13 (BWV), 9/13 (WL), 12/13 (Poly)
Tokyo Disney Resort – 6/07, 8/07, 11/07, 3/08, 7/08, 10/08, 6/09, 10/09, 12/09, 1/10, 4/10, 11/12 (Ambassador)
Disney Cruise Line – 10/07 (Wonder-PC to Nassau/CC), 8/12 (Magic-NY to Nowhere)
Disneyland – 3/05, 10/11 (GC), 10/13 (GC/ABD-Backstage Magic)
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Changing my flights to go out of Salt Lake City instead of here in Idaho... much less stress! Problem solved...no more worrying!

As an interesting tidbit, I did find out that the airport I normally fly out of does not have anyone in the tower until 7am anyways, so the 6 am flights I normally take never have anyone anyways. If this trip didn't involve "picking up" my mom on the Denver layover, I wouldn't worry so much, but I just dont want to deal with the stress. If the actual airport closes (which is a possibility accoording to local news) then EVERYONE would be going to Salt Lake City instead, and then the chances of getting on the flight I want is slim to none...and if I can't get out of Salt Lake City, then I don't have any more options left.

Thanks for the links, advice and input everyone!!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
Changing my flights to go out of Salt Lake City instead of here in Idaho... much less stress! Problem solved...no more worrying!

As an interesting tidbit, I did find out that the airport I normally fly out of does not have anyone in the tower until 7am anyways, so the 6 am flights I normally take never have anyone anyways. If this trip didn't involve "picking up" my mom on the Denver layover, I wouldn't worry so much, but I just dont want to deal with the stress. If the actual airport closes (which is a possibility accoording to local news) then EVERYONE would be going to Salt Lake City instead, and then the chances of getting on the flight I want is slim to none...and if I can't get out of Salt Lake City, then I don't have any more options left.

Thanks for the links, advice and input everyone!!
No one in the TOWER....Wow How does that work?

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
No one in the TOWER....Wow How does that work?
Hey be nice!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Im one of those "No Ones" in the tower. We dont know anything official yet as to how it will affect us but we've been told to be prepared for 11-24 days of leave without pay. From what I've read, alot of the smaller facilities are preparing for complete closure for the duration (there is a list of airports on the FAA's website). What this means is flights will be slowed down, not completely stopped. Long story short, when there is no air traffic control at these smaller airports (most dont have any ATC at night anyways), airliners are just slowed down. With an operating tower lets say Waco, TX (pure example, not real numbers) could say accept 30 flights an hour. Without the tower, that may get cut down to 8-10. At larger facilties, we've been told to plan for "rolling" furloughs. So not everyone will be furloughed at the same time. So for example say we have 4 radar scopes where I work for a normal day. We may be only able to staff 3 because 1 or 2 controllers a shift will be on furlough. The rumors are saying im probably going to get 1 day off without pay every week or two instead of all back to back. (Id rather be back to back, I got a savings account, will have an AP, and parents who live near Disney hehe...much to my wife's chagrin lol) So in order to keep things safe, we slow down our flow rate, from say 100 airplanes an hour to 60. This way we dont have a controller who is overworked and could inadvertantly put someone in harms way.

As people said above, take everything (including what I said above) with a grain of salt. If youre flying through all this, please understand the potential ATC delays are for your safety. The last thing anyone of us wants is to be overwhelmed with airplanes and "forget" about 2 until its to late. My first and foremost agenda is safety. Orderly and expeditous traffic flow comes next.

Through it all, safety will still be our number 1 goal.

Clint
(and as a former gate agent, please be nice to them. They have little or no control over the delays!)
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA View Post
Im one of those "No Ones" in the tower. We dont know anything official yet as to how it will affect us but we've been told to be prepared for 11-24 days of leave without pay. From what I've read, alot of the smaller facilities are preparing for complete closure for the duration (there is a list of airports on the FAA's website). What this means is flights will be slowed down, not completely stopped. Long story short, when there is no air traffic control at these smaller airports (most dont have any ATC at night anyways), airliners are just slowed down. With an operating tower lets say Waco, TX (pure example, not real numbers) could say accept 30 flights an hour. Without the tower, that may get cut down to 8-10. At larger facilties, we've been told to plan for "rolling" furloughs. So not everyone will be furloughed at the same time. So for example say we have 4 radar scopes where I work for a normal day. We may be only able to staff 3 because 1 or 2 controllers a shift will be on furlough. The rumors are saying im probably going to get 1 day off without pay every week or two instead of all back to back. (Id rather be back to back, I got a savings account, will have an AP, and parents who live near Disney hehe...much to my wife's chagrin lol) So in order to keep things safe, we slow down our flow rate, from say 100 airplanes an hour to 60. This way we dont have a controller who is overworked and could inadvertantly put someone in harms way.

As people said above, take everything (including what I said above) with a grain of salt. If youre flying through all this, please understand the potential ATC delays are for your safety. The last thing anyone of us wants is to be overwhelmed with airplanes and "forget" about 2 until its to late. My first and foremost agenda is safety. Orderly and expeditous traffic flow comes next.

Through it all, safety will still be our number 1 goal.

Clint
(and as a former gate agent, please be nice to them. They have little or no control over the delays!)
Hahaha! You are the one that just answered my crazy question about how they charge the flight changes!!! So, as you now know...I already changed the flight! I only had a 35 min layover or so anyway, so I couldn't afford to leave late! Thank you so much for your time and input and for explaining everything (in both posts) so clearly for me- I really appreciate it!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

The news this morning stated that even if the budget cuts happen, the budget that relates to all of this will still be greater than what it was last year. That this is just a huge scare tactic, and it seems to be working.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

If this happens...

A group of 8 of us are going on a cruise out of Miami but flying into Fort Lauderdale on April 13. Flight arrives at 11:40 a.m. If there are long delays, does anyone believe that the airlines may let passengers change their flights without penalty (similar to imclement weather)? I'm thinking more along the lines of leaving the day before and booking a hotel room for overnight.

This is our first cruise and if I had known better, I would have booked the day before in the first place!!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #29
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

[QUOTE=N365PA;47618481]Im one of those "No Ones" in the tower. We dont know anything official yet as to how it will affect us but we've been told to be prepared for 11-24 days of leave without pay. Clint
[QUOTE]

alas, a furlough may have a devasting affect on many, including ourselves.
DH works for a contractor that trains ATCers (was laid off, with many others, from NYSE firms a few years back). less ATC hours, less/no hours for him. that is the mortgage pymt, so it will hurt

DB, who was an ATC for many years, luckily retired and works elsewhere.

too bad they couldn't cut the govt's entertainment, limos, dining, redecorating budgets instead.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
momofkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Well That link doesn't list MCO as one of the potential ones being affected....I'm guessin it's probably most of the airports that aren't the busiest???

We're also returning in Laguardia LGA in NYC too...None of those airports are on the list as of now either..

But 1 thing that I do have to say is, that I'm soo annoyed w/ Delta Airlines.

We used to fly Continental for hte most part but switched to JET Blue about 8 years ago...Jet Blue = the best IMHO

Well this upcoming trip I couldn't get good deals roughly at the7 month mark. So we ended up finding great deals for Delat if you sign up for AMEX. They also waived the baggae fees if you're a cardholder too.

Long story short: Originally we were supposed to leave LGA at 6:30 AM and arrive roughly 2 1/2 hrs later. Well 2 months went by & an Email was sent saying that flight was switched to 7:05...Not a huge deal but whatever.

Return flight from MCO 8 days later was originally set for 2:55 PM. once again E mail stating that they put us on a 4:05 pm. Then a month later from that they switched us to a 6:00 pm flight....At this point I was livid. We originally had 9th row seating Iand now we're in row 36... They said there's nothing they could do...I spoke w/ a supervisor only to have him say is the best they could do was put us in the preferred section but charge us 39.00 more a person..I was like How is that helping us... Well finally this past Monday they did it again!!! E mail this time changing it back to 6:55 PM....Needless to say I now was on the phone for a total 45 mins. this time, only to find that they did move me up to the 28th row (preferred) with no extra charge....But as we were about to hang up she stated , :
"Don't be surprised if you get another change between now n then." LoL I'm thinking why 4 times isn't enough??? My question is this. I've been flying for at least 35 years now, Has anyone ever had this or anything close to this happend, because I certainly haven't?
We flew United last November, and our flights were moved/canceled multiple times. I called after the changes, and they let me pick the flights I wanted as long as we kept the same airports/same airline. I explained that the new flights weren't working for us, and they let us change for free. I ended up with way better flights than I had originally booked. They didn't tell me that changing flights was an option; I had to ask.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: