Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Sequester And Flights...Anyone worried?

I've been reading a lot of news stories lately about how if the whole sequester cuts end up happening (which it looks like they will), that travelers can "expect major flight delays, up to 90 min. during peak times" beginning in April due to having to furlough air traffic controllers at least one shift per month. I happen to be a huge worrier and now I am really stressing that this will impact my April 13th trip. I only have a 34 min. layover as it is, so that crap needs to be on time! Also, I am "picking up" my mom in Denver and she has never been to Disney before, so its really important that we get on that flight together!

What are your thoughts? Do you think it will be a problem?

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

You have to take anything at times like these with a large grain of salt. The media tries to attract eyes to their pages by reporting the extreme case. They do that with everything and the reality is almost always far less than the extreme. Then there's the political theatre going on and there are always things 'leaked' to the press to try and influence the political proceedings. Wait a while until the game has played out more and the real situation becomes clearer.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
You have to take anything at times like these with a large grain of salt. The media tries to attract eyes to their pages by reporting the extreme case. They do that with everything and the reality is almost always far less than the extreme. Then there's the political theatre going on and there are always things 'leaked' to the press to try and influence the political proceedings. Wait a while until the game has played out more and the real situation becomes clearer.
That's what DH keeps reminding me too...I love hearing it from someone else too though! As long as I GET there on intended day, nothing can be too bad anyways I suppose!

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

FAA and DOT have made a couple of public statements about the effects of sequestration. See http://fastlane.dot.gov/2013/02/on-s...ir-travel.html and http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=71078. As a PP said, take them with a grain of salt, but the government agencies that regulate aviation certainly say that there will be delays and disruptions.
Walt Disney World – 5/02 (CBR), 12/03 (CSR), 9/04 (WL), 9/05 (WL), 2/06 (CR), 8/06 (CSR), 10/06 (POR), 1/07 (WL), 10/07 (Poly), 1/08 (POFQ), 5/08 (WL), 10/08 (WL), 1/09 (WL), 5/09 (BC), 7/09 (WL), 10/09 (WL), 1/10 (WL), 4/10 (Pop), 5/11 (WL), 8/11 (CR), 12/11 (CR), 4/12 (YC), 1/13 (Poly), 3/13 (Pop), 5/13 (BWV), 9/13 (WL), 12/13 (Poly)
Tokyo Disney Resort – 6/07, 8/07, 11/07, 3/08, 7/08, 10/08, 6/09, 10/09, 12/09, 1/10, 4/10, 11/12 (Ambassador)
Disney Cruise Line – 10/07 (Wonder-PC to Nassau/CC), 8/12 (Magic-NY to Nowhere)
Disneyland – 3/05, 10/11 (GC), 10/13 (GC/ABD-Backstage Magic)
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
I've been reading a lot of news stories lately about how if the whole sequester cuts end up happening (which it looks like they will), that travelers can "expect major flight delays, up to 90 min. during peak times" beginning in April due to having to furlough air traffic controllers at least one shift per month. I happen to be a huge worrier and now I am really stressing that this will impact my April 13th trip. I only have a 34 min. layover as it is, so that crap needs to be on time! Also, I am "picking up" my mom in Denver and she has never been to Disney before, so its really important that we get on that flight together!

I admire your spunk, for a being a huge worrier and still booking a 34 min connecting flight lol. My DD her BF and I will be flying in on the 13th also, at various times. If things do develop in an unfavorable way feel free to PM me, we will help get her to the Disney bus location or settled somewhere at the airport until you get in.
Alice Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

Is there any way you can try to change one of those flights? Most airlines don't allow less than a 45 minute connection, so I'm not quite sure how your 34 mins happened.

For my upcoming trip, the airline changed one of our flight times (about 2 months before the flight), such that we had :45 min's instead of 1:05 to connect in Atlanta. I called them, and they put me on the flight leaving an hour later. I get in later to Orlando, but I have peace of mind, which is worth a lot.
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Where is your layover? I would be way more concerned about a 34 minute layover than I would any impending problems with the airlines. There's no way I would risk a layover that short.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

For me that 34 minute layover is way too short reguardless of the security/FAA issue.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia
Where is your layover? I would be way more concerned about a 34 minute layover than I would any impending problems with the airlines. There's no way I would risk a layover that short.
I agree with you 100%!!

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Laz
DIS Veteran

Another few days of political finger pointing and panic talk

Then I bet they kick the can down the road another 3-6 months

Things will probably remain status quo.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard Valley View Post
Most airlines don't allow less than a 45 minute connection, so I'm not quite sure how your 34 mins happened.
Connection times are set by airports, not airlines. Many have set the legal connection time for domestic-domestic flights from 25-30 minutes.

Denver is a huge airport. I would not be comfortable with a 34 minute connection time.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

My stance is that if the airline changes its schedule and makes my connection time shorter and also too short for my liking, it should give me a free change to other flights of my choice, or if no suitable flights are available, a full refund.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post

I am personally not worried. I would be that your connection would be delayed as much, if not more, than the flight you are on.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
Ditto!! I never book anything less than an hour between flights.

If your originating flight departs on time YOU may make that next flight in 34 min. (if it's at the next gate) but I would be surprised if your luggage makes it with you!

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

My eldest DD is an ATC. She totally expects furloughs starting the first week in April.

I'm also a worrywart. I see at least a two week period in which Congress won't react while flights are being cancelled and such. They'll act, but it will probably not until about April 15 to 20.

In other words...can't you get an earlier flight to Denver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: