Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #46
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin DCL View Post
It is my understanding that kids in the Edge come and go as they please. There is no option to check them in and out. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Just wanted to make sure you know what to expect before your cruise. If you want to check your son in/out, I believe he will need to go to the Lab.
But you can make an agreement with your own child that they cannot leave until you come get them.....

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #47
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

ODS is turning 10 while onboard but I do not feel comfortable letting him roam.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #48
Lovin DCL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
But you can make an agreement with your own child that they cannot leave until you come get them.....
Absolutely true. The kids do roam the ship quite a bit for Edge activities, though (sports deck, pool, arcade, pirate party, scavenger hunts, etc). While they are usually in a group, on our last cruise my son wasn't interested in the group activity they were doing in the Edge and asked to do a scavenger hunt. They gave him one of the scavenger hunt sheets and sent him out to do it on his own. We saw him out wandering around the ship writing down his answers. We went to talk to him but he wouldn't talk to us because they weren't allowed to get help with the scavenger hunt. He didn't want to be caught cheating, even though he was a group of one and under no supervision.

As others have said, you know your child best. Just wanted to point out that no one will be keeping him in the Edge if he wants to leave. And that many times the kids will leave to do activities. The counselors don't always walk them to/from these activities.

Next: 3/17/14-3/21/14: 4-night Bahamian on the Magic
1/12/13-1/18/13: 6-night Western Caribbean on the Magic
9/22/11-9/25/11: 3-night Bahamian on the Dream
10/21/10-10/24/10: 3-night Bahamian on the Wonder
10/25/09-10/29/09: 4-night Bahamian on the Wonder
Lovin DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #49
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

Our DS(17) and DD(15) will be able to come and go as they please but they will need to stick together unless they have cleared it with us first. They wont have a curfew but will have to get at least a few hours of sleep. DD(9) will be able to hang out with big bro and big sis, but will not be able to check out from the kids club or roam on her own. I trust her, just not everyone else. We require that we all meet up at dinner time and show time, and anytime that we have decided that we are doing a family activity. Usually though after dinner they are free to do what they wish. (within reason)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #50
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin DCL View Post
It is my understanding that kids in the Edge come and go as they please. There is no option to check them in and out. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Just wanted to make sure you know what to expect before your cruise. If you want to check your son in/out, I believe he will need to go to the Lab.
Very true, but if the parent requires their child to wait in the Edge for them to pick them up then that is their perogative. If the child wants to enjoy the Edge, they will follow the rules set for them by their parent.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #51
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
Wow! Making the assumption that you give them a little bit of freedom and they turn into hoodlums is not a great way to start out with any child. And assuming that the parents are checked out or don't care if they make the decision to allow their child certain freedoms is not appropriate.

Great, you know your child. Obviously your child isn't ready. I am happy that you can make an appropriate decision for your child. But my child, at the exact same age, was ready. And no, I am not in denial about what he was doing and I am confident that he did not ruin anyone's vacation. He would text us where he was and what he was doing and occasionally we would physically check to see the accuracy of his statements. Guess what? Completely doing what and where he said he was. He made great friends during that week and I am glad that I could allow him this space for him to try 'growing up' without me hovering over him.

You know, my mother grew up on the Stanford campus and told stories of walking and playing all day unsupervised. The one rule was to be back before dinner. My childhood: I was allowed to go to the library down the street by myself and with friends I could go to the park a few streets over. Today, what space do I give my children? My eldest (now 13) can go 4 houses down and I either watch him as he goes or he calls me from their telephone to say that he is there and we live in a gated community!. As an educator, I worry about the lack of opportunity to develop into functioning independent adults because that takes time. As a teenager, about to get my driver's license, I asked my mom how she knew where to go as she was driving. Yes, I figured it out and now consider myself to have a good sense of direction but would that have been developed earlier if I had been given the freedom to explore earlier? Yes, we live in a world of very bad people and yes, we do need to make decisions that make our children's safety a priority but on a Disney ship, these kids just want to be together and most of them are carrying a wave phone with instructions to check in and are participating in the planned activities.

So, yes by all means do what you feel comfortable but don't make the assumption that the parents who have allowed their kids more freedom are somewhat lacking in parent prowess: just perhaps, they know their kids too.
I agree!! Our children need to have some freedom to learn to navigate the world. How much freedom did you have as a kid? Do you really think the world has changed all that much? So when your child turns 16 are you just going to hand them the car keys and say go on out there. Or are you going to wait till they get to college. The Disney cruise is a great place for your child to learn to be independent. Can something bad happen, Yes. But you can't live your life in fear.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: