Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
AAmom
Earning My Ears

Question ADR in Sept- seriously??

I would love to get some advice from you experienced folks. The people I talk to around here seem to get a panicked look on their face when talking about ADRs- it comes with fear of starvation if you dont book on the earliest possible day. It's making me feel stressed & annoyed trying to decide what to eat, where to eat, and what time to eat, for a trip over 6 months away!!

We are going in mid september. My understanding is that this is the absolute least crowded time you can go to disney...so why the need to make reservations now? I know that Cinderella's castle and some character meals do need to be booked in advance....but all the other meals? Can I just decide in the morning and call the same day Teppen Edo, Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, or Via Napoli for dinner????

I guess I just can't help but wonder if the whole ADR thing is a bit over hyped during the slow season.

One other issue that could complicate things- some nights we will be a party of 5, other nights a party of 11....not sure if they will even sit a party of 11 (7 adults, 4 kids under age five).

Appreciate thoughts you all have.
AAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Lat year I went Sept 15 - 23 and there were quite a few things I couldn't get and I booked at 180 days out. In fact I'm going end of August/early Sept this year and I'm staying up late to book my ADRs at Midnight.

There will be plenty of places where you don't have to do this for, but if you want any of the popular ones, then you should think about it. I plan where we're going based on the crowd calendar, then I pick which day we're doing which park and the book from there.

You should be fine though waiting for some of these. The kicker will be if free dining is offered for September. If that's the case, then you will need to make ADRs, as everyone else will and you'll be booked out. That was the case for me.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAmom View Post
I would love to get some advice from you experienced folks. The people I talk to around here seem to get a panicked look on their face when talking about ADRs- it comes with fear of starvation if you dont book on the earliest possible day. It's making me feel stressed & annoyed trying to decide what to eat, where to eat, and what time to eat, for a trip over 6 months away!!

We are going in mid september. My understanding is that this is the absolute least crowded time you can go to disney...so why the need to make reservations now? I know that Cinderella's castle and some character meals do need to be booked in advance....but all the other meals? Can I just decide in the morning and call the same day Teppen Edo, Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, or Via Napoli for dinner????

I guess I just can't help but wonder if the whole ADR thing is a bit over hyped during the slow season.

One other issue that could complicate things- some nights we will be a party of 5, other nights a party of 11....not sure if they will even sit a party of 11 (7 adults, 4 kids under age five).

Appreciate thoughts you all have.
Getting a table for five may be difficult as a walk up. For eleven will be next to impossible. If you want less popular places, shouldn't be a problem. But Le Celleir, Teppan Edo, Be Our Guest, will be very hard.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
TK27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAmom View Post
Can I just decide in the morning and call the same day Teppen Edo, Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, or Via Napoli for dinner????
While I can't say for the others, I don't imagine you'd have much luck with a same day Be Our Guest reservation. Since it's so new it is in high demand, it can be extremely difficult to even get reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
Lat year I went Sept 15 - 23 and there were quite a few things I couldn't get and I booked at 180 days out. In fact I'm going end of August/early Sept this year and I'm staying up late to book my ADRs at Midnight.
Just so you know, the earliest you can book ADRs on the 180-day mark is at 6:00 AM.
TK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK27 View Post
Just so you know, the earliest you can book ADRs on the 180-day mark is at 6:00 AM.
Thanks you just saved me 2 hours of killing time. Going back to bed.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Tortuga Rob
Dead men tell no tales.......

You must remember that if free dining is offered that the adr's book up so quickly. We are going last week of Sept and 1st week of October and will be booking at 12:01 am to get what we want. My DW (SnowWhite) is a Disney master planner when it comes to scheduling and park hours. Don't leave it to the last minute or you will be sorry. Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Tortuga Rob (aka. SnowWhite DH)

Nov 1983, Nov 1984, Feb 1994, Feb 1995 Offsite
Oct 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites
Oct 2005 POP/OKW/CS MNSSHP
Sept 2006 POP Free DDP MNSSHP
May 2007 POP DDP
Nov 2010 POP Free DDP
May 2012 POP/POR Free DDP
Sept 2013 POR MNSSHP Free DDP

(Rob), (SnowWhite), (DD 16), (DS 10), (DD 4)
Tortuga Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
ibrokeitmommy
Mouseketeer

We are going in May and I have gotten all of the ADRs I wanted except Be Our Guest (which we will do QS instead). I didn't start booking until 2 weeks ago. I'm second guessing some now and the more popular times are unavailable on one but there are still openings at all the character meals I have tried ( not Chef Ms our CRT, I haven't checked those).

So I would say if you know you really want one to book it at 180 days then if you change your mind later you can. The table or 11 is probably trickier and I would try and do those too.
ibrokeitmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
hotcarib
DIS Veteran

We go every year in Sept. and (I guess I suck at being hardcore Dis) even though I set my alarms I always forget to make reservations until July. We have never had difficulty getting all the ADRs we want.
Even for our current trip where I had very little notice for ADRs we got all the reservations we wanted: even BOG.
That being said, we are a party of 2 adults who like to eat suppers and lunches late.....but I think if you it's keep checking you wil find what you need

hotcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga Rob View Post
You must remember that if free dining is offered that the adr's book up so quickly. We are going last week of Sept and 1st week of October and will be booking at 12:01 am to get what we want. My DW (SnowWhite) is a Disney master planner when it comes to scheduling and park hours. Don't leave it to the last minute or you will be sorry. Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Tortuga Rob (aka. SnowWhite DH)
As already mentioned above, you cannot book ADRs until 6am EST.
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
jacdolfin
Mouseketeer

I am so very confused. Is it 12:01 or 6 am we can book? I assume this is EST??
jacdolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
jacdolfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425

As already mentioned above, you cannot book ADRs until 6am EST.
Thank you
jacdolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

A lot of people will tell you that there is no longer any such thing as slow season. Only a slower season. September is also, historically free dining period, which creates a huge demand for ADRS. Add in a large party, and the chances of getting seated as a walkup to any of the in-park or popular resort restaurants plummet. Odds are that you could get some ADRs for 5 at short notice-but perhaps not the ones you want most. I would recommend that at the very least you make ADRs for the times when you will have a large group wanting to dine together. Unless you will be happy eating CS instead.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on how concerned you are with where you eat. Certainly you won't starve in any case, but if you're set on eating dinner at BOG for instance, then I'd definitely book it way early. We were just there at the beginning of Feb (definitely low season) and I attempted to change my BOG ADR a few days after I initially booked it (which was exactly 180 days out) and I couldn't budge it without losing it altogether. Same went for Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Restaurants that are less popular or with tons of seating probably matter less. To me, if you're going to plan out an itinerary anyway, what's the benefit in waiting? Of course, I enjoy planning vacations and do lots of research for them, so I am typically planned to the last detail by the time 180 days rolls around. In fact, this trip, I booked our ADRs before I even booked our room. You could always change them but at least you'd have a fail-safe if you book at 180 days.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

If there is a place you know you want to eat, you are not doing yourself any favors by waiting to make ADRs. Why risk the disappointment? You can always cancel later if you change your mind.

BOG ressies have been very hard to come by, and I wouldn't expect that to change for at least a year. Some people have gotten lucky with last-minute reservations or walk-ups, but I wouldn't count on it. There's only so much pixie dust to go around

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
AAmom
Earning My Ears

I am the OP- we were thinking of doing BOG at lunch since I had read so much about its popularity at dinner. I guess I was wondering more about the Epcot restaurants. I have no idea what's easy to get and what's hard. I have read here that Le Cellier can be a hard one, but maybe we will want Chinese, or Italian, or Mexican? Guess we really just kinda wanted to go for whatever sounded good that day, and to eat it when we were hungry, whether that is 5pm or 8pm. Can't I have the best of both worlds- good food when i want it, and, where i want it?
AAmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: