Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me

I have never heard this before. You have to bring marriage certificate too? What if you have one of those passport cards that look like a driver's license, do you need that, your birth certificate and marriage license?
Is the passport card in your legal name? Then don't worry about it as the passport card is enough for the closed loop cruises.

It's the flying back home invade of emergency part that the BC or passport card doesn't help with.

And having a marriage certificate along with BC if you changed your name just flat out makes sense. I am not comfy with "my name is different than my legal document just because I say I got married". Bring the legal document that shows the name change, whether it's the proof of marriage or legal paperwork if you did the change another way or for a reason other than marriage.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me

I have never heard this before. You have to bring marriage certificate too? What if you have one of those passport cards that look like a driver's license, do you need that, your birth certificate and marriage license?
We cruised last march ncl and were told that is was law that if we didnt have a passport we would need birth certificates with raised seals and photo id and that if photo id name and birth certificate names were different marriage liscense was needed.
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
mommy2allgirls
Stay out of the damn lakes!

We did the Feb 5th sailing on the magic and I didn't have a passport but was asked to show our marriage certificate since my last names were different on Id and birth certificate. Thankfully I had it and we were checked in in no time

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Lyme Blog
mommy2allgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
anamanxs
Mouseketeer

We will all have passports but GD who is under 2; we are not getting her a passport. My DD and family got their passport before she was born.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

This is a very common topic here. I probably see one thread every week or so. A couple of facts that need to be corrected.

1) You can return by air to the country without a passport in the event of an emergency. It is a longer process but it can be done.
2) A copy of the marriage license is needed if the name on the birth certificate does not match the name on the photo ID. There needs to be something to create that link between the names, otherwise there is no proof that the birth certificate is really yours.
3) The passport card is not a substitute for a passport. It is helpful for land crossings only. Otherwise, it is just another form of government issue ID.

Sailing on a closed loop cruise is really the only way you can leave the country without a passport these days. If you are planning to travel for vacations, it is worth considering. However, since passports for children expire more frequently, I can see why you might not want to do this for the kids.

Sailing with an ID and Certified Copy of the Birth Certificate is perfectly fine and thousands of passengers do it every year.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaoften View Post
As I said, we are getting the passports to "cover our rears"!!! Should we have to leave the cruise due to illness, etc. and fly back to the U.S., you CAN NOT re-enter without a passport...according to everything I've read. Hopefully it will be an expense that we really didn't need to incur but at our age, I'd rather be prepared!
Wrong.
So you would be stranded in a foreign country unable ever to return to the US???? Of course you will be able to get back to the US. It won't be easy though and the last thing you need is another hassle when you are stuck in a foreign country with medical issues or something else serious.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Op didn't ask to start another "passport vs birth cert" DIScussion.
We have sailed 3 DCL cruises in 18 months with 11 different people. Birth certificates only and none of the women were asked for marriage liscense even though 3 had different last names.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
patti226
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
This is a very common topic here. I probably see one thread every week or so. A couple of facts that need to be corrected.

1) You can return by air to the country without a passport in the event of an emergency. It is a longer process but it can be done.
2) A copy of the marriage license is needed if the name on the birth certificate does not match the name on the photo ID. There needs to be something to create that link between the names, otherwise there is no proof that the birth certificate is really yours.
3) The passport card is not a substitute for a passport. It is helpful for land crossings only. Otherwise, it is just another form of government issue ID.

Sailing on a closed loop cruise is really the only way you can leave the country without a passport these days. If you are planning to travel for vacations, it is worth considering. However, since passports for children expire more frequently, I can see why you might not want to do this for the kids.

Sailing with an ID and Certified Copy of the Birth Certificate is perfectly fine and thousands of passengers do it every year.
You can use the passport card for land and sea travel not air travel
patti226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the replies I guess we will use our birth certificates, since this is a one time vacation for us
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Just off the Wonder this morning. BC/DL and ML alone. This is my 15th cruise and haven't had a passport yet, however my cruise buddy said she wants to do Europe in two years, so I guess I will have it then.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Carnival Triumph towed to US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
How many have recently crusied using your birth certificates?
REASON MORE THAN HALF PEOPLE ON BOARD DID NOT HAVE PASSPORTS. We passed the dead ship on Magic on Monday AM and they were only 125 from a port in Mexico. You cannot return to US by any other means than that ship without passport. One of the things considered was to transfer at the dock in Mexico to another Carnival Ship, and that would not work.

The day we docked, Friday in Galveston, got to meet and see the passengers being busses back from Mobile. Hope I never have be in those shoes.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Disneydreamer MN
Earning My Ears

Cruised in August with birth certificates without any issues.
Disneydreamer MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #28
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
How many have recently crusied using your birth certificates?
No legal reason you cannot use the official birth cert. and photo id. If everything goes right.....great.

Please note is has to be a orginial with whatever symbol your states uses on the BC. In addition, your parents names have to be on the BC as well.

The reason most people he advise getting a passport is for the times things go wrong..............illness, accidents, missing the ship, ..its a big problem and lots of time and visits to the US embassy to get a replacement passort.

Whatever you do have a great cruise.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
REASON MORE THAN HALF PEOPLE ON BOARD DID NOT HAVE PASSPORTS. We passed the dead ship on Magic on Monday AM and they were only 125 from a port in Mexico. You cannot return to US by any other means than that ship without passport. One of the things considered was to transfer at the dock in Mexico to another Carnival Ship, and that would not work.

The day we docked, Friday in Galveston, got to meet and see the passengers being busses back from Mobile. Hope I never have be in those shoes.
The real reason they were towed to the US -- by the time the tugs arrived, the ship had drifted many miles northward, so it was simpler to tow them the rest of the way to Alabama.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
livie1205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbell View Post
make sure to bring your marriage cert also if your last name has changed from your birth and drivers liscence!
I have never had a issue with this, I called disney before our last cruise and they said as long as my DL had my name now that they dont worry about that. They said most people have already been married and the BC would have our given name.I used my BC and my DL ( with married name) with no issue.I also did not need a paper for my son who has my ex s name and i have my dh name which is not the same. I dont know about other cruise lines but DCL is very easy.
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: