Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
samacita
Mouseketeer

Baby vs. Toddler...go! ;)

We have our own lists of pros and cons, but would love to hear input from all of you. Which trip would you do, and why?

Option #1: DD7, DS3, & 4 mo old (2nd week of November)

Option #2: DD8, DS4, D?1 (1st week of June)

Really debating between taking the baby as a 4 month old or a 1 year old. Please weigh in!!
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
AleedraS
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by samacita
We have our own lists of pros and cons, but would love to hear input from all of you. Which trip would you do, and why?

Option #1: DD7, DS3, & 4 mo old (2nd week of November)

Option #2: DD8, DS4, D?1 (1st week of June)

Really debating between taking the baby as a 4 month old or a 1 year old. Please weigh in!!
I'd do November. Lighter crowds, cooler weather...prob cheaper. Also 4mo is easier to organize than 1 year imho. At 1 year they want to walk, need a bed or quiet space to nap and are more prone to tantrums. 4 Months in a carrier would be much easier, I think.

Me , DH , DD , DD , DS

2009 Off Site Disney Downtown Hilton
2011 Contemporary for Christmas
upcoming 2013 Polynesian!!
AleedraS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I think I'd do the 4 mo old too.

I brought my kids at just about 1 year...A different experience and it was fine but we had 2 really little ones. Since you have older ones, I would think it would be way easier to navigate going on the bigger rides, etc. with a baby. Just bring a good stroller and go for it!

Honestly the biggest sticky point for me to bring a 4 month old is the restaurants...Without a baby carrier or stroller to lay the baby in - it will mean someone holding him/her (assuming he/she can't do a highchair yet). So I would either do all CS or just choose restaurants that you likely can take the stroller.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I would do the November trip with a 4 month old.
Our youngest dd was 3 1/2 mos on her first trip. She was great and easy. They are so portable when they are that young. She rode in a sling a lot, and it was easy to have her snuggled in there getting on and off rides. We also had her stroller for her to stretch out in.
I think that any age is a great age to go (and a lot depends on the individual child), but 4 mos will be better than 1.
Our youngest is such a great child, no temper tantrums ever, even keeled...and had been at 3 mos, 17 mos, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 5. Each trip so enjoyable.
Our middle dd is another story. Always hard, lots of temper tantrums, etc, so a lot depends on the temperment of your newest baby...which you wont know for a while.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

I personally would wait until the baby was 1... I seem to have a harder time with the "infant" stage. At 4 months they're constantly eating (at least mine were) and they don't sleep through the night (at least mine didn't). By one they have a better grasp on meal time, nap time and bed time. We took DD and DS both when they were 13 months (DS was 3.5 on our last trip, DD 13 months) and since she was on finger food by that point we really had no problem feeding her snacks and she ate meals really well with us. Both of our kids easily napped in the strollers. Plus at 1 they're more alert and will happily go on any ride.

Really, it all depends on the baby.

mommy2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

Of my 6 kids my #1 child was 8 weeks on his first trip, #6 was only 4 weeks on her first trip, and I have been with kids in every stage in between. I personally found the "babies" were easier to take than the toddlers. In babyhood, they are more "portable", my experience with toddlers is there tends to be a more challenging time to calm them down sit through dinners etc. Currently they are: DS15, DS13, DD9, DS7, DS4 & DD2, and I am more nervous dealing with DD2 than I ever have been taking the under 1 yr set.

We had no problems in restaurants with keeping our small ones in their stroller if they were laid out sleeping. I think that we 'wore' them for many of our meals having hands free.

I would look at your dates carefully, you may experience heavier crowds than you imagine. The second weekend in November includes Veteran's Day weekend, if you are not planning on doing much on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday of that week (11/9 - 11/11) you should be fine. We went during that time 2010, and I have never seen the Magic Kingdom so crowded. First week in June has it's own crowded of issues, among these are Star Wars weekends, as well as many schools in the south being out for the summer at the end of May, so some of the parks are more crowded than others, and that would be something to consider when thinking of how you want to tour. You may want to consult some of the crowed calculators on non Disney owned web sites.

Happy planning!
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
quagmire0
Mouseketeer

1st week of June isn't that bad in terms of Crowds and Weather. I would leave towards the 1 year old, as I just think it would be more fun for you to see your 1 yo enjoy Disney, as opposed to being a 4 month old who really wouldn't pick up on much stuff and might just consider not being at home annoying. :D

We'll be going the second week in June with DD(6), DS(3), and DD(1). Already at 10 months DD is starting to really take an interest in everything around her, so we're looking forward to what she'll think of Disney.

Obviously, a 4mo will be more content being held and/or sitting in a stroller for longer periods. The 1yo will be more squirmy and want to move around more.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We have been planning a 30+ hour road trip to California for years. When we started to finalize our plans for May, I found out that I was pregnant (an amazing surprise - lots of fertility issues). So we ran into a similar problem: Do we reschedule for July and take a two month old on the trip or wait until the following May and take a one year old. We decided on the infant - absolutely no question about it.

Our "chart" of an infant vs. toddler:

She will sleep most of the time/toddler will be awake and on schedule

Not much awareness of the carseat/Will resent that amount of time strapped in

I'll be able to wear her in a sling/toddler will be more mobile and want to move around, get down and run around and stretch

The pack 'n' play will be her bed/we'd have to train a toddler to sleep in a pnp since she would be used to her own bed

Packing: The basics + formula/packing: The basics + food, toys, books, etc.

Which leads me to a huge point: We will not have to entertain an infant/a 1 year old will need to be constantly entertained.

Absolute no-brainer.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
msmama
DIS Veteran

For me, the deciding factor would be your middle child. Would you rather deal with a 3 year old and an infant? Or a 4 year old and a 1 year old.

For me, ever successive trip has gotten harder and I just have one.

My 3 year old would have been a DISASTER at Disney (that was the 1 year we skipped). By 4 he was much easier to handle. And coming up on 5, I don't really expect many huge issues.

I kind of feel like either at 4 months or 1 year, and being number 3, he/she would be pretty go-with-the-flow anyway.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
samacita
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the ideas everyone!! As far as crowds, the weeks I mentioned are the best we can do. Since we aren't willing to pull DD out of school for a Disney vacation, other options would be Christmas, spring break, or at hotter points in the summer. None of those sound appealing to me. The touring plans crowd calendars show really low numbers for that November week (and it's the Veterans Day Th-Sun that we'd need to do) and only slightly worse for the first of June.

Another deciding factor is the length of stay. We'd only have 4 park days in Nov (which might also be all we want at that stage!) but could do longer in June... Sigh... It's hard to decide since we don't know this baby yet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama
My 3 year old would have been a DISASTER at Disney (that was the 1 year we skipped). By 4 he was much easier to handle. And coming up on 5, I don't really expect many huge issues.
What are the 3 yr old issues I should be anticipating?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

I would go in November. It's cooler and probably less crowded, not to mention sooner, lol. Last year our son was 4 months old and it was a great trip! At that age they're easy. All he did was nurse, and hang out in the carrier the whole time. If you wait until 1, he/she will be more mobile, require more food, etc etc. I think the younger, the easier. Good luck deciding!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samacita View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone!! As far as crowds, the weeks I mentioned are the best we can do. Since we aren't willing to pull DD out of school for a Disney vacation, other options would be Christmas, spring break, or at hotter points in the summer. None of those sound appealing to me. The touring plans crowd calendars show really low numbers for that November week (and it's the Veterans Day Th-Sun that we'd need to do) and only slightly worse for the first of June.

Another deciding factor is the length of stay. We'd only have 4 park days in Nov (which might also be all we want at that stage!) but could do longer in June... Sigh... It's hard to decide since we don't know this baby yet!!!

What are the 3 yr old issues I should be anticipating?
Our twins first trip was when they were three and we had a great trip. We did take a break for rest/pool midday.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I'd go with Option 3: DD10, DS6, & D?3

But that's just me.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
samacita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck
I'd go with Option 3: DD10, DS6, & D?3

But that's just me.
Why is that? I didn't get to Disney until I was 11, and I was a bit mad that my mom never took me sooner!! Lol
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I would take the 4 month old only cause of the time you are going. Nov is a good time weather is great. And I am sure your LO would enjoy it more and not be uncomfy from the heat. Babies are easy at that age. At 1 they want to start running around and don't like to sit still. I use a baby carrier and took my DD at 3 months. She was great. Just slept and nursed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: