Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

No, you don't. However, one of the first purchases by a new DSLR owner usually is a zoom longer than the 18-55. The beauty of the interchangeable lens camera is just that, you put on any lens that you want (or can afford). Pentax offers several "kits" of varying value, some have plastic mounts (DA L versions). What are you looking at?
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
MommaBerd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
No, you don't. However, one of the first purchases by a new DSLR owner usually is a zoom longer than the 18-55. The beauty of the interchangeable lens camera is just that, you put on any lens that you want (or can afford). Pentax offers several "kits" of varying value, some have plastic mounts (DA L versions). What are you looking at?
I'm really leaning (now) towards the Pentax K30. I found a kit with 18-55mm AL and 50-200mm AL lenses. I can get the camera with the 18-55 mm only, but would I regret not having the 50-200 mm lens? I just don't see myself using that much zoom.

I'm trying to educate myself quickly as I go through this process. I see myself using this camera for kids' sports, vacation pictures - candid and posed, performances, etc. I've read that higher aperture enables you to take better pictures in lower light levels. So, did a little more looking around and found the SMCP-FA 55mm f/1.4 standard auto focus lens. I'm assuming that is a better lens than the kit lens? Is it a better fit for me, too - I'm thinking yes, but I don't know. Is it overkill to have both? Because the camera body w/out the kit lens is almost the exact same price.

Wow photography is complicated...
(16) (10) (8) (6)
MommaBerd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBerd View Post
I'm really leaning (now) towards the Pentax K30. I found a kit with 18-55mm AL and 50-200mm AL lenses. I can get the camera with the 18-55 mm only, but would I regret not having the 50-200 mm lens? I just don't see myself using that much zoom.

I'm trying to educate myself quickly as I go through this process. I see myself using this camera for kids' sports, vacation pictures - candid and posed, performances, etc. I've read that higher aperture enables you to take better pictures in lower light levels. So, did a little more looking around and found the SMCP-FA 55mm f/1.4 standard auto focus lens. I'm assuming that is a better lens than the kit lens? Is it a better fit for me, too - I'm thinking yes, but I don't know. Is it overkill to have both? Because the camera body w/out the kit lens is almost the exact same price.

Wow photography is complicated...
I don't know Pentax lenses well so I can't get into specifics on that lens, but the 55mm is a prime lens. Prime lenses are one focal length and generally have wider apertures. They are lenses most of us get in addition to our zooms and we use them for certain types of shooting like low light and portraits. For me primes augment zooms but are not a replacement for them. There are times I need each type of lens. Though some people do shoot only with primes and are very happy that way and some people never use primes. It comes down to how you like to work.

As far as regretting not having the 50-200... I think starting with the 18-55 kit lens is good if you're unsure. There is a reason they sell that focal range as the "starter" lens with cameras. It covers a wide range of everyday situations. I've found it's easier to add a lens later than it is to get rid of a lens you never use. if the 18-55 isn't enough you can always add another lens later.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I see what "package" your are looking at. They have packaged the cheaper versions of those lens. While optically exactly like their more expensive brothers, they do not have the weather sealing, quick shift focusing (allows you to switch instantly between manual and auto-focus without any additional buttons, etc.), plastic lens mount and they do not come with a hood. If I was you I would look at two packages. I know you like the blue, so I listed the blue with the 18-55 DA AL WR lens. I would then learn a little more, save $ and then look at a longer zoom or prime depending on your style. The other option is a black with the 18-135 DA AL IF WR. That is a little more expensive because it is a longer internal focusing (IF) lens (no lens creep, which is when the barrel extends when it is tilted down). That lens normally sells for $526, so as part of a kit it would be about $400. You would get a longer zoom and not have to change lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Kit_With.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html

Another option would be to buy the above 18-55 kit and then add the better 50-200 for $197.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._5_5_6_AL.html

These are all consumer zoom lenses with variable apertures.

I have the older 50-200 metal mount version. I have found it to be very satisfactory. There has been discussion in the Pentax camp with many stating the 55-300 is a sharper lens. I could not comment on that because I have never shot the 55-300. Pentax has yet to introduce a WR version of the 55-300.

Here is one shot with my version of the 50-200.

B & B 1 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

When you are looking at Pentax lenses be aware there is a difference between a lens listed as DA L and one that reads DA AL. The DA L is the cheaper lens.

I forgot, I didn't see a blue listed with the 18-135. If that interests you, I would call and see if they could bundle one for you the same price as the listed "kit".

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 02-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
MommaBerd
Mouseketeer

Thank you Photo_Chick and Gianna'sPapa for your advice and guidance! I really, really appreciate it! I'll report back in a couple of weeks and give an update...

ETA: Gianna'sPapa - I forgot to comment: that is a GREAT picture, and I've seen other excellent photos of yours on different threads. It gets me excited about the possibilities.
(16) (10) (8) (6)

Last edited by MommaBerd; 02-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.
MommaBerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: