Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Value with DDP, or Moderate without DDP?
POP with DDP? 14 25.00%
POR without DDP? 42 75.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #31
Sue M
DIS Veteran

POR or POFQ are our fav moderates. They are beautiful resorts.
We have been finding the DDP is just too much food for us and we have started to go without DDP most if not all the time.

When we arrive at wdw, I'll load a gift card with what it would have cost me to get DDP, and use that card for all our dining. Don't have to worry about bringing cash, and it's just like having the DDP, just pay with the card.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #32
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

Another thing I should add- when we stayed at POP- the beds were terribly uncomfortable. We had 2 rooms- 4 adults and we all woke up with sore backs. Never had that problem at any other resort. Beds are better at mods and deluxe.
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
jimjenkids
Mouseketeer

we did POP this past xmas. I was less than impressed and had a few issues(we have done all the other all star resort having no issues). THe trip before we did CBR and loved it just not how spread out it was. I would go for POR, even more so for an anniversary. I know we are planning our next trip for xmas '14-our 20yr anniv/dh birthday/ds grad from hs and we are planning on POFQ....plan to use the resort a bit more, taking a break mid day to soak our feet in the hot tub! We did the ddp for the first time and I will admit, we will probs do it again-even if we have to pay for it. yes a lot of feed and desserts we never would buy, but felt better knowing it was all included and we could try things. we will be only going as a fam of 5 so we may do more sit downs, now sure, but will do the ddp again(dh is sold on it now)...just counting the days til we can book!

2014:Amazing Christmas vacation & 20th wedding anniversary -CBC, 2012:xmas-Pop century, 2010:CBC, 2008:ASMovie, 2000:Movies, 1999: sports, 1995:POF, 1984:Polly

jimjenkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #34
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
The promotion does apply to POFQ. I've tested it on the website, and a nice discount comes off. I believe it is 20% off moderates though. The resort listed as not qualifying under the discount is AoA Little Mermaid standard rooms only.
I should have been more clear, sorry. Its not that the discount doesn't apply at POFQ, but the discount is only 5% off the room at POFQ, at POR it is 25% off the room.

I believe both qualify for the discounted tickets portion but that is the smallest part.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

I would stay with POR, and I was going to tell you to check out pofq, those would be my choice.

Just a warning, we went end of feb, Begining of march in2008, so your a little later, but see if you can find out if there is any cheer leading comps going on. When we went to POR for 10 days the cheerleaders were at pofq, I think some at POR. My only problem was every time we went over to pofq it was like a rally. Load and noisy, and mobbed with girls jumping and cheering. Which is fine in a larger resort, like POR or pop but when you put them all together at the smallest Disney hotel on site you really can not escape them. We paid for a quiet carriage ride and when we got over to pofq I felt we were in the middle of a Super Bowl. We were at POR so it was not to bad for us, but I would have hated it if we wanted a quiet queint romantic anniversary , with quiet strolls between the two hotels and a peaceful boat ride down the river and got 3,000 cheer leaders bouncing around me. I was told that pofq is used a lot by cheerleaders, and I hope I heard wrong since I do picture it as one of the most romantic and more adult hotel on site.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #36
cmhguy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post

We have only ever stayed at Moderates before on our past trips with kids and extended family. We thought this trip we should stay at a moderate for the fact that they seem a little more peaceful and romantic.
You answered your question with this statement. Having stayed at both as 2 adults only, we are at POR this trip for this reason. We enjoyed Pop for what it is - if we were going to spend most of our time in the parks on a short trip, we would stay at PoP with no question. On a longer trip - POR all the way.....

I know this is not solicited...but....ddp - we love it too for the same reasons. I'm a spreadsheet freak, and with the price increases this year, it just didn't make sense anymore - we are going without it, dinning at all of our favorites, and will come out ahead without it.
cmhguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
daisymomof4
Mouseketeer

I'd stick with POR and pay oop for dining. It will likely be quieter, you'll have queen beds if not a king, and a being able to take the boat to DTD will be really nice. The atmosphere is just so nice for some downtime with out the kiddies

I do like Sue_M's idea to load a GC with your dining budget.
daisymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

I say Pop with the Dining plan! We went alone when younger DS was 18 mos and I was pregnant with DS2 and we had a great time at a Value! we stayed at ASMU and it was clean, pretty and we enjoyed the money we saved! Right now I am in sort of a similar dilema...we are paid in full and booked at POR, but pricing out ASMU could give us a chunk of change back! and we could use it towards other things....I think I have 1 day to decide!

Also not all areas at POP are loud and chaotic. The 80's section over by the Mr Potato head sculptures was quiet and the lake is right there. We are 2 big kids at heart and wouldn't hesitate staying at a value for an anniversary trip.
DS (14)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely choose POR over POP w/ a dining plan. A dining plan does not interest me enough to make it worth staying at a value. And POR is so beautiful I think it's the perfect spot for an anniversary trip. There is more to do there and you have the boat to DTD. The overall theme is important to me on a trip though. Nothing at POP would interest me enough to make it worthwhile.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Well, considering that I just switched from 2 rooms at Pop to 2 rooms at CSR and canceled DDP (for now), I'd say stick with POR. The environment/atmosphere looks so kiddie at the values and if you're used to a mod, it could be a let down to stay at a value. Particularly for an anniversary trip. Besides, your tone sounds like you want to stay at POR. Go with your gut.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
RunningthruDisney
Mouseketeer

My vote is to stay at the moderate and pay out of pocket. I think it will be more relaxing.

RunningthruDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #42
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Hi everyone! I wanted to come back and let you all know what we've decided. I also wanted to thank everyone again for all your help. I really just wanted to hear what everyone had to say on the subject, so I am glad I started this thread. I appreciate everyone.

I left it all up to my husband. I felt much more secure financially as the side job he just finished ended up with a lot of water damage, so he had to charge more for the repairs. He also just got a new side job that for now is a drywall hanging job, but will also have a drop ceiling for him to do that will be another pretty nice sum of money. This is my process: I always freak out about money (I mean always! It doesn't matter how much we have!), then I sit down, write it all out, pray about it, and we always have enough.

I also wrote out all the options for POFQ, POR, POP, and CBR (which I know a lot of people hate, but we loved), with and without dining plan. I outlined with him the costs of each, the plus sides to each place, and the negatives of each place. I told him that once I figured out how much the dining plan was going to cost us, then how much we would spend on food by using the dining plan this time, and how that total included desserts which I rarely eat, and he seldom eats. I figured that even with those desserts included, we were only spending a little over what the plan actually costs. If that is confusing, I am sorry. I decided that since we only ate dessert on the plan before b/c it was free, that we could eat cheaper on our own. I did still give him the option of having the dining plan though.

We then decided that if we weren't going to get the dining plan, we didn't need as many reservations. We cut out T-REX b/c it is an experience we enjoy with our kids, so we don't need to do it this trip. We also cut out Be our Guest (gasp!!!) for dinner because I decided that if we wanted to see it, we would just go for counter service as the dinner menu wasn't really spectacular. Besides, I have a friend who was on a mini-anniversary trip, and she stopped by and asked if they had a table for two during dinner, and they did. So...if I really want to go for dinner once I get there, I can attempt that way. If I don't get it, no biggie. This cleaned up our schedule, so we can have a lot more freedom.

Since we would only have saved around $400 since I would have needed a preferred room at POP for my feet issues, hubby decided we would stay at POR. $400 is worth having a more peaceful vacation in my opinion.

So...We are staying at POR with a river view room for 8 nights, 9 days in April. We are eating at Teppan Edo, Sci-Fi, Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic Dinner Pkg, Raglan Road, and Biergarten. We are doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK which includes a meal at Columbia Harbour House.

Thank you all again for your help. I am very appreciative.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #43
daisymomof4
Mouseketeer

Looks like a fantastic plan op. Hope you two have a wonderful trip!
daisymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: