Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
pxefig
Mouseketeer

Castaway Cay Double Dip Dream or 7 day Fantasy?

I have the CCDD booked for the Dream for Nov. 2014. I was able to book the 5E cat rooms and get three together with two adjoining (4 adults and 4 kids (10, 8, 5, 3, traveling in the party) so I feel like I hit the mother load!
The 4 adults in the party were on the Dream in 2011 and we loooooooved it (yes, that's right. We did a Disney cruise and left the kids behind). None of the kids have ever been on a cruise but by then they will all be old enough to do the kids club stuff. Is there anything that is missed out by not having an at sea day? Do they do Palos and Remy brunches if there are no at sea days?
Or would it be better to just bite the bullet and do a 7 day cruise? With the kids never being on a ship before I don't know if 7 days will make for a really long vacation, and I have been unsuccessful so far finding a Fantasy cruise that I can get the 5E rooms we would need, which means I would also have to let go of the idea of the big balcony on the longer cruise- which seems like the best time to have one . Also, we live in Texas and I'm kicking around the idea of doing the Bahamas cruise on Wonder (because if I'm going to do a Disney Cruise, Castaway Cay is a MUST!) But I'm hesitant because I don't know if the Wonder will feel like a let down with the loss of the Aquaduck, Skyline, Remy and the interactive art.
What would you do?
pxefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

We don't travel with kids but I always prefer to have as long of a cruise as I can afford. That being said there is still a mental breaking point for price per day for us. If you're uncertain about whether they will like it or not I feel a 5 night is a good way to test it out. Long enough to find a routine but not so long that if they're completely melting down you're miserable.

We've done all four Disney ships and are about to be platinum. While I have my favorites I would NOT feel that the classics are a compromise. Each ship has its quirks - pros and cons if you will. Especially if the kids haven't been on the Dream class, they won't know that they're "missing" the AquaDuck. For the adults, Skyline is missing but Cadillac is a fun place to hang out with a great bar (and bartender - Jesus) and live piano that the Dream class ships lack.

We have about 7 weeks worth of classic ship sailing scheduled in the next 20 months. The value is worth it to us.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

106 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
pxefig
Mouseketeer

Looking at your trip signature I see you are a good person to answer the question! You've done all the ships, double dips and the Wonder recently!
I personally would sleep in a broom closet if that meant taking a Disney cruise, but my husband is more picky about that stuff- just like he will only have a verandah room, otherwise he gets claustrophobic. How is the Wonder looking nowadays? The advantage to doing a Wonder sailing would be there's no airfare cost and not all of the kids would be 3 when the Wonder is in Galveston, so we would only take our two oldest (plus by brother and sister in law- other other two adult traveling troublemakers) so we would need one less stateroom. Anytime I mention the Magic or Wonder my DH refers to them as the "really old ones" but I try to tell him that of course since it is Disney, they would be well-kept. However, some of the recent review of the Magic looking raggedy have scared me a little If I book a less than pristine cruise ship, I will never hear the end of it from DH! He and I have different vacation philosophies. I would rather spend 12 days at a moderate Disney hotel and he would rather spend 5 days at a deluxe. As far as the cruise goes, we could afford any of the options. I just wondered if there would be anyone who was adamant about how wonderful two days at CC are. When we were they without the kiddos every other sentence my husband said had to do with how much he thought the kids would like it. And with the four day cruise I could probably convince DH we also needed to do WDW for a few days, too.
As you said, there are pros and cons to all the choices. I'm hoping to get other opinions about these things and have those who are more knowledgeable than I (i.e, anyone who has done ANY Disney cruise)offer their two cents.
Thanks for the input!
pxefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxefig View Post
Looking at your trip signature I see you are a good person to answer the question! You've done all the ships, double dips and the Wonder recently!
I personally would sleep in a broom closet if that meant taking a Disney cruise, but my husband is more picky about that stuff- just like he will only have a verandah room, otherwise he gets claustrophobic. How is the Wonder looking nowadays? The advantage to doing a Wonder sailing would be there's no airfare cost and not all of the kids would be 3 when the Wonder is in Galveston, so we would only take our two oldest (plus by brother and sister in law- other other two adult traveling troublemakers) so we would need one less stateroom. Anytime I mention the Magic or Wonder my DH refers to them as the "really old ones" but I try to tell him that of course since it is Disney, they would be well-kept. However, some of the recent review of the Magic looking raggedy have scared me a little If I book a less than pristine cruise ship, I will never hear the end of it from DH! He and I have different vacation philosophies. I would rather spend 12 days at a moderate Disney hotel and he would rather spend 5 days at a deluxe. As far as the cruise goes, we could afford any of the options. I just wondered if there would be anyone who was adamant about how wonderful two days at CC are. When we were they without the kiddos every other sentence my husband said had to do with how much he thought the kids would like it. And with the four day cruise I could probably convince DH we also needed to do WDW for a few days, too.
As you said, there are pros and cons to all the choices. I'm hoping to get other opinions about these things and have those who are more knowledgeable than I (i.e, anyone who has done ANY Disney cruise)offer their two cents.
Thanks for the input!
We did a 5 night doubledip last June and absolutely LOVED it!! Castaway Cay is amazing and I'm so sad that we are only going to have 1 stop on each of our next two cruises. If I could find another double dip on the Dream during summer months, I would do it in a heartbeat!! With that being said, we are doing a 7 night on the Fantasy in 2014 but we had an amazing time on our 5 night cruise.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

What I would do... Book the cruse out of Galveston and save the flight. Book a deluxe inside room and experience the ship not the balcony (and money).

On the 7 days... We did a 14 day transatlantic cruise where we had 6 sea days and almost everyone on the ship was not ready to hit land. The sea days were the best, most to do and most enjoyable.

Note on traveling with Kids: I often book the cruise when school is in and pull my son out for a week. In California we have short term independent study. I sign up with the school and they give us all the work for the week. He does it on the cruise and turns it in when we get back. This allows us to cruise at a much cheaper price and not miss any school work.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008

Last edited by MikeAndNick; 02-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
monica9
DIS Veteran

Have you or would you cruise with just you, your spouse and your only child?

Want to cruise a 7 night but it will be just me, DH and DD5. She is sort of shy but so used to being in camps, school, sports,etc that going into the kids room will be fine. I just hope she has fun. NO one will vacation with us at the time we are going or our second choice of time to go (Sept/Oct or Jan/Feb). So its just us. We did a norwegian cruise with our daughter when she was just 24 months old and it go boring at the end since she screamed when we put her in the kids room for the 1/2 hour the one time we tried and she was too small to do most things. She was scared of the water at that time too. She now loves the water, will need use to hold her or a life jacket but loves it. Will go into play room but might take a while to warm up to other kids. I just don't know if we should do a 7 night or 4 night since its just her by herself.

What do you think?
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
monica9
DIS Veteran

ooppps, sorry! I posted my new thread in your thread. Sorry about that!!!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxefig View Post

. . . The 4 adults in the party were on the Dream in 2011 and we loooooooved it (yes, that's right. We did a Disney cruise and left the kids behind).

. . . What would you do?
I'm a fan of longer cruises, so I would go on a 7-night.

Since the adults have been on the Dream, I would go on the Fantasy for a little different experience, such as the production shows.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Keep the 5E rooms, go on the double dip & book a 7-nighter while on board

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

Although we loved the double dip back in Sept 07, I would say the Fantasy... our family did not like the Dream at all when we went.

The Fantasy was so much better for us....and 7 days.. perfect. :

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: