Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

Babywearing your toddler at WDW?

I'm a babywearing mama with a nice collection of wraps, slings & carriers-- however I've never worn my little one for a long period of time & never work a toddler for much longer than a trip to the mall or a local festival. I wondered if this is doable? Why carrier did you use? Can I keep my toddler in the carrier on rides? Should I also bring a stroller? Thanks!

Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We'll be going in April and I still wear my 16 month old. Haven't been to disney since he was 4 months old so I can imagine having a heavier one will be a little more challenging. I use a beco with him but we'll be renting a single stroller just in case I need a break (hubby has bad shoulders due to previous surgeries). Our last trip I saw what looked like a 3 year old on a wrap on mom's back, lol....so it's doable! How old will your little one be for your trip?
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
DanaMark3boys
Earning My Ears

I have the sane question.

Last year my son was 8 months old and the babyhawk mei tei was a blessing!! He napped on and off in it while I just walked right on rides with him asleep.
We are going in April and he will be almost 20 months old. He's still a peanut at around 21lbs and almost 30inches.
I am not normally a baby wearer so I don't know what would be good for this size and with how active he is I don't know if hell even go in a carrier.
DanaMark3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
OnlyWhnChasd
Earning My Ears

We took DD to WDW when she was about 22 months and I carried her in my Ergo carrier A LOT. We had a stroller but since I rarely ever use one at home she wasn't used to it and didn't really want to ride in it. It was a little tiring to carry her all the time but I was also 6-7 months pregnant with DS so I was more worn down than I otherwise would have been.

I think it's very doable to use a carrier most of the time provided you get a few breaks by handing off, letting LO walk for a bit, etc. I think you can keep them in the carrier on rides but i never did. DD always wanted to sit normally. It wasn't a big deal though. If you are an experienced baby wearer you can pop them in and out fairly quickly.

We are planning another trip now and won't be taking a stroller. DD will be 3 and DS about 1. Most would probably think we are crazy but it is what works for us. We are just not stroller people and neither are our kids. So yeah, I would say very doable! YMMV
OnlyWhnChasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

This really depends on the size of your child and your physical condition. My son was bigger at 12mo than the pp 20mo, and I have some chronic back issues. Not easy to carry around for the whole day, I did it for portions of the day and the rest of the time he was in his stroller.

For the previous question about the carrier, I also have the BabyHawke mei tai and it's still my preferred carrier for ds (he's both heavier and longer than your ds and the carrier is still great for him). I also have the Boba for when I don't feel like dealing with the ties.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
spel
Mouseketeer

I found my Ergo invaluable with my 14-month-old. She rode in the stroller to cross far distances, but I wore her while waiting in all lines and she even stayed in it for several lines. It was a lifesaver!
spel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

I think have your baby carrier there will really come in handy BUT I would also bring a stroller. We tried w/ no stroller one day and just the carrier, and halfway through the day ended up renting one. There is a lot of walking and we were there late May so it was very hot. I was very happy to have the break.

Of course you could try it w/o a stroller and then rent one if you feel you have too.... everyone is different you might be able to hang better than I was.... or it might not be as hot of a day.

I did take ds out of the carrier on rides, but for the most part I wear him on my back so really we had too. If you wear your baby on your front I'm not sure??
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

I wore my 18 m.o. alot in January. We did alternate with the stroller, though. I don't think I could do it all day long at that age. I used a Beco Butterfly and occasionally my sling just for ease of getting her in and out. I also only front carried. Back-carrying her just didn't seem practical when you're getting on and off rides, busses, ect....
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
mommytoliandlu
Earning My Ears

We will be going to disney in June & my DD will be almost 2.5y/o. I will absolutely have a Kinderpack or Bamberoo with solarveil with me, plus a linen Sakura Bloom ring sling. My husband babywears too, so we can switch off as needed. I think Babywearing at Disney will be very warm, but awesome!

Disney trips so far:
1. Stayed offsite in 1992 (when I was a kid with my parents)
2. AoA in 2013 with DH, DS, DD & my mom
Hopefully planning our next trip!
mommytoliandlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

I use the Boba 3G for my almost 1 yr old. Hes 23lbs and 31 inches and the longest I've worn him would be about 2 hours in a front carry and about 75 mins in a back carry. I'd imagine wearing him for thoat length of time in Florida heat would be hard! We'll wear him alright but we'll have the stroller too, plus he's walking and wants to walk everywhere so I'm sure he'll want to do that more than anything!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
smurphs719
Earning My Ears

Our 19 month old spent a lot of time in our beco butterfly this trip. It was too crazy for him to walk to much, since he isn't great at sharing the sidewalk. My one issue was that even on 70 degree days, the carrier and the toddler made me very warm. But at 34 inches and 25lbs carrying him a lot was very doable.

Mom to Laurie, my very own Neverland Pirate
smurphs719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Annie78
Mouseketeer

We wore DS for many hours in a Pikkolo while we were at Epcot in late September. He was 2.5 and somewhere around 30-32 lbs at the time. That day was also the only time he napped at a park - he NEVER fell asleep in the stroller, and only once of the five times we tried going back to the room.
Now I am considering buying a Kinderpack for my solo trip in April - DS will be 3.25 and 33 lbs, but I know I can still wear him for at least 1.5 hours and several miles of walking (often do it on weekends as he still needs to nap but desperately fights falling asleep unless carried or driven around). The Pikkolo is still fine in terms of my comfort, but I think a taller carrier will be more comfortable for him.
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I like the Ergo the best. If your LO is small, then it is much better than with my DS. He is a big boy ... topping 30 lbs at two years old. My DDs are four and are tiny, so I look like I have triplets.

I would be worried about the heat almost as much as the weight. If you carry the LO a lot, you are pretty used to the weight, but are you used to the heat? The carrier can make it hotter for both you and them.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

I just got back from WDW this month. Dd#2 is 2.75 and about 33lbs. I wore her several times in my buckle carrier (toddler sized). She doesn't nap in the stroller. I don't wear her much at all now but I was fine. My legs did hurt a little (I must walk differently when I have another person on me! I did see about 2 other mommas wearing their toddlers also.

The only problem I had was she didn't like her feet to touch anything, so unless she was sound asleep I couldn't sit. She was very excited though to hop in and take off her socks/shoes!

I also went when she was 16mths. I didn't wear her much on the rides, she wanted to walk and see everything. But she also has a big sis to keep up with. That was hot in Aug!

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Just a question/point, is doable the same as enjoyable?

I "do" a lot of things as a mom that I don't enjoy. When on vacation, I want to enjoy, not just do. You may want to try a longer outing to see what will work for you.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: