Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Yeah but, Walt hasn't been on this earth since 1966 so no one knows what he would have wanted. It's like asking WWJD? No one knows.
Actually, Walt was all for change and progress and moving forward while still keeping the family feel.

There are a ton of sponsors all over the parks, Starbucks is no different.

Personally, I don't have an issue with coke vendors on Main St. so I don't have an issue with a coffee shop (even if it is a chain) because it's not like it will look like Seattle, it will look like Disney with the brand's name prominent enough to justify the sponsorship for that location.

And I don't even drink coffee.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Apples and oranges. At PI, Disney decided that it wanted to get out of the nightclub business and ceded that market to City Walk. This is about corporate themeing. Disney did fine incorporating Sara Lee, Carnation, Edy's, Nestle, Minute Maid, Tropicana, Sealtest, Coke and many others with nary a whimper. But we should declare Satrbucks to be an abject failure before it opens? Again...why?
PI ,is now onto Plan C officially D/E/F from what wasn't official. All involved out-side company's having and running stores/restraunts/entertainment venues with Disney as the landlord. What do we have after all these years? Empty or Covered up buildings covering what is basically a segway from the the Marketplace to the West Side. Understand they wanted out of the the Nightclub Business but so far the Corporate Theming they have gone with has been 1 big Swing and a Miss, let alone even getting in the batters box.
stoudt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudt6 View Post
I look no further then what has happened at Pleasure Island to draw my thoughts on "These guys know what they're doing--they've been doing it for a few years now.

Sometimes I wish I never stepped in ADVENTUERS CLUB, then I wouldn't miss what was one of the best times I ever had in DD.
Same can be said for the COMEDY WAREHOUSE.

I miss them both terribly

I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort Planning for POFQ in NOV 2014
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
PI ,is now onto Plan C officially D/E/F from what wasn't official. All involved out-side company's having and running stores/restraunts/entertainment venues with Disney as the landlord. What do we have after all these years? Empty or Covered up buildings covering what is basically a segway from the the Marketplace to the West Side. Understand they wanted out of the the Nightclub Business but so far the Corporate Theming they have gone with has been 1 big Swing and a Miss, let alone even getting in the batters box.
All well and good, but still totally irrelevant to your original post. Big difference between Pleasure Island and changing the sponsorship of the bakery.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Think about the dots that you are trying to connect: "Disney closed 8-Tracks and hasn't been able to fill that space. Therefore, the Main Street Bakery will lose all of its Americana charm when it reopens." This is the very definition of a non sequitor.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

My only concern is traffic. That part of the park is already horribly congested even on slow days, and it's likely to get worse with people wanting their morning cuppa. I'd have put it someplace where traffic is lighter.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Maybe there won't be as many people desperate for a decent cup of coffee causing traffic problems once they start putting the Joffreys coffee into the rooms and resort restaurants. We can only hope.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

IMO, Walt was a smart man with a vision. He would see this was the way to go. He knew how to market his ideas and make them successful. If he was still here he would adapt to the changes and probably make the same decisions!! In his day, who would have thought the world would be like it is today? I really think he would be OK with the changes!! OK now I am ready for the flames! Go ahead I can take it. Lol
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

No one really knows what Walt would think. He was always about change and innovention though.

Now where is that "beating a dead horse" smiley...
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
All well and good, but still totally irrelevant to your original post. Big difference between Pleasure Island and changing the sponsorship of the bakery.
How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks. And my original post was it about being on Main street. And me bringing up PI was in response to you saying Disney knows what they are doing, especially in regards to bringing in/having outside Corporations take over Buidings/restraraunts.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Think about the dots that you are trying to connect: "Disney closed 8-Tracks and hasn't been able to fill that space. Therefore, the Main Street Bakery will lose all of its Americana charm when it reopens." This is the very definition of a non sequitor.
You are connecting the wrong dots. My response/point to Disney knows what they are doing is so far anytime where an out-side Corporation is/was to be in control of something , it either hasn't worked out or hasn't happened. You can disagree all you want but there is a big difference between The Main Street Bakery Presented by Starbucks and something that is named Starbucks. When Fed-Ex sponsored Space Mountain it wasn't called "Fed-Ex Mountain" and the little coasters didn't have Fed-Ex emblems on them My original thread was called "Tradition vs Change" , and I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.

Last edited by stoudt6; 02-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks. And my original post was it about being on Main street. And me bringing up PI was in response to you saying Disney knows what they are doing, especially in regards to bringing in/having outside Corporations take over Buidings/restraraunts.
Incorrect. It will still be called the Main Street Bakery. They will just be sponsored by Starbucks.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks.
Quote:
I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.
Again, you need to look at this post on The Disney Food Blog. It's not called Starbucks, it's called Fiddler, Fife & Practical Cafe, with small, discreet Starbucks signage. In particular, look at the picture of the bakery case where it says the top two shelves are Starbucks, the rest are Disney. I see no reason to believe it won't be the same with the Main Street Bakery.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
Amymarie0606
Earning My Ears

I'm new to disboards, and haven't heard of this change before now. I will go back and read the post highlighted by a previous poster to learn more, but I don't think it's going to be that big if a deal. My family loves Main Street Bakery & often grabs our favorites (cinnamon rolls!!) to have the next morning, and I'm hoping they'll keep some of the same pastries.

I'm confident it'll be incorporated well in the Main Street theme & happy I'll be able to get decent coffee in the park!!

AmyMarie
Amymarie0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
You can disagree all you want but there is a big difference between The Main Street Bakery Presented by Starbucks and something that is named Starbucks. When Fed-Ex sponsored Space Mountain it wasn't called "Fed-Ex Mountain" and the little coasters didn't have Fed-Ex emblems on them.

You obviously have little recollection of when Sara Lee sponsored the bakery. The name was prominently displayed inside and out, and the products served were distinctly Sara Lee. You can try as hard as you want to try and draw a distinction and say that that was OK, but the new change is not. But it is a losing battle. Here. Have a look.... http://www.disboards.com/showthread....e#post46714349 That photo is the "Tradition" that you seek to protect.

Quote:
My original thread was called "Tradition vs Change" , and I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.
And your certaintly derives from what? Go have a Dole Whip and then come back and tell us about how overt branding is the end of Disney as we know it.

Last edited by JimmyV; 02-24-2013 at 10:39 AM.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: