Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Tradition vs Change

I'm usually for change and the new, but sometimes keeping a tradition is more important. And in my opinion having the Main Street Bakery is more important then having a Starbucks ON MAIN STREET. I understand that $$$ rules all decisons at WDW, but I wish the "Bean-Counters" would sometimes take into consideration what makes actual sense over financial sense.

R.I.P Carrot Cake my old friend, we had a nice little run!
stoudt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

So, you would like to keep with the tradition of having a Nestle shop on Main Street?
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

This topic has been exhausted. They will incorporate Main Street theming into the Starbucks. The location will still have many of the fave bakery items. WDW has consistently had corporate sponsors ever since its been open. Just look more closely. Coca Cola, Edys, Orville Redenbacher, Kodak, McDonalds. You name it. You don't always notice because they blend it in quite well. This newest project will be no different. It's not going to be the same Starbucks that you see in the real world. Just give them a chance. They may surprise you.
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
This topic has been exhausted. They will incorporate Main Street theming into the Starbucks. The location will still have many of the fave bakery items. WDW has consistently had corporate sponsors ever since its been open. Just look more closely. Coca Cola, Edys, Orville Redenbacher, Kodak, McDonalds. You name it. You don't always notice because they blend it in quite well. This newest project will be no different. It's not going to be the same Starbucks that you see in the real world. Just give them a chance. They may surprise you.
Don't have a problem with Starbucks, just where it will be. The idea/concept of Main Street USA is how things were at Turn of the century 1900's when Walt was a child. And you have/had a bakery, an Ice Cream parlor, a Soda-Pop Eatery and a Store/Clothing Emporium. All them have remained true to their themes even by incorporating some of todays modern things. Now that is changing. The main street Bakery Presented by Starbucks serving Starbucks coffee would be fine, but just a plain starbucks even featuring some of the Main Street Bakery items isn't the same. Just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudt6

Don't have a problem with Starbucks, just where it will be. The idea/concept of Main Street USA is how things were at Turn of the century 1900's when Walt was a child. And you have/had a bakery, an Ice Cream parlor, a Soda-Pop Eatery and a Store/Clothing Emporium. All them have remained true to their themes even by incorporating some of todays modern things. Now that is changing. The main street Bakery Presented by Starbucks serving Starbucks coffee would be fine, but just a plain starbucks even featuring some of the Main Street Bakery items isn't the same. Just my opinion.
It's not going to be "just a pain starbucks".

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudt6 View Post
Yeah but, Walt hasn't been on this earth since 1966 so no one knows what he would have wanted. It's like asking WWJD? No one knows.

Some will say Walt would have had alcohol in the Magic Kingdom way before Be Our Guest. Some say Walt is spinning in his grave. It's all just a matter of opinion. For me, I don't care. I never went to the Bakery before, I won't now either. Don't really eat that stuff and I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Way too many other things to see and do at Disney World than obsess over one shop and what may or may not happen.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

My problem is Starbucks! YUCK! Dunkin Donuts and I'd be all over it.

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Why oh why are people so quick to congratulate Disney on the way it successfully incorporates acceptable themeing of other corporate sponsors but are just as quick to assume that Disney cannot or will not successfully incorporate turn of the century themeing into the MSB as it begins to serve Starbucks coffee?

Trust in the fact that Disney "gets it". I promise that there isn't a single executive who is planning on having the MSB look like a 2013 Starbucks across the street from Casey's and the Crystal Palace. Not a one.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Why oh why are people so quick to congratulate Disney on the way it successfully incorporates acceptable themeing of other corporate sponsors but are just as quick to assume that Disney cannot or will not successfully incorporate turn of the century themeing into the MSB as it begins to serve Starbucks coffee?

Trust in the fact that Disney "gets it". I promise that there isn't a single executive who is planning on having the MSB look like a 2013 Starbucks across the street from Casey's and the Crystal Palace. Not a one.
Exactly. And how about holding off on the howls of indignation and moaning over the death of Main Street theming until the place has actually reopened and we can see how well or poorly the change has been handled? These guys know what they're doing- they've been doing it for a few years now.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

Exactly. And how about holding off on the howls of indignation and moaning over the death of Main Street theming until the place has actually reopened and we can see how well or poorly the change has been handled? These guys know what they're doing- they've been doing it for a few years now.
Agree! We've always been huge Main Street Bakery fans but I have to say that our family is looking forward to giving this a try. We are hoping the change goes well.
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I look no further then what has happened at Pleasure Island to draw my thoughts on "These guys know what they're doing--they've been doing it for a few years now.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I look no further then what has happened at Pleasure Island to draw my thoughts on "These guys know what they're doing--they've been doing it for a few years now.
No reasonable person would draw that correlation.
As stated by a PP, this has been discussed to death.
Let's wait and see.
I am in the camp of I have confidence in Disney
Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Apples and oranges. At PI, Disney decided that it wanted to get out of the nightclub business and ceded that market to City Walk. This is about corporate themeing. Disney did fine incorporating Sara Lee, Carnation, Edy's, Nestle, Minute Maid, Tropicana, Sealtest, Coke and many others with nary a whimper. But we should declare Satrbucks to be an abject failure before it opens? Again...why?
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
It's not going to be the same Starbucks that you see in the real world. Just give them a chance. They may surprise you.
This so much. Just take a look at Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe in Disneyland. It's not a Starbucks, it's Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe that sells Starbucks. Big difference.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV

Apples and oranges. At PI, Disney decided that it wanted to get out of the nightclub business and ceded that market to City Walk. This is about corporate themeing. Disney did fine incorporating Sara Lee, Carnation, Edy's, Nestle, Minute Maid, Tropicana, Sealtest, Coke and many others with nary a whimper. But we should declare Satrbucks to be an abject failure before it opens? Again...why?
Great comment and that is what I was trying to get across in my earlier post. People just need to chill and let Disney do what they do best. They're not going to ruin Main Street. Walt was all for progress and none of us know if this is a project he would have embraced. It is everyone's best guess! But I know Disney will do a great job blending things in.
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: