Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
bsamps
Earning My Ears

Years ago I used a TA exclusively for all my travel arrangements and vacations. Back then it was different, with a lot more personal service and attention. I've tried a popular TA, but didn't like waiting for emails. The folks at Disney have always been accommodating when I call, plus the fact that I can look at everything online is an advantage. The onboard credit is really not worth it to me if I can't get the personal service that I'm use to with Disney personnel.
bsamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we rebook onboard, then transfer the reservation over to Dreams.. we like the extra OBC.

I do all the research myself, we rarely do excursions or need the help from the TA, but when I have emailed her, she responds right away. ( Tammy C from Dreams.
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme View Post
we rebook onboard, then transfer the reservation over to Dreams.. we like the extra OBC.
Save an extra step - just specify Dreams as your TA when you rebook on board.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5 View Post
I'm way too neurotic to let someone else research and book my vacation for me. lol. I did contact a friend of a friend who is a TA but she came back with the same price that I was going to be paying anyway if I just booked it myself. So, IMO, what's the point? AFAIK she wasn't offering any onboard credit or anything and like I said, I have been researching it for almost a year, myself. But if you are the kind of person that doesn't enjoy that sort of thing (doing the resarch) I'd say just use a TA and have them do all the leg-work for you.
Neurotic is a good word for those who book their own cruises.

I don't have the time to deal with all that. Aways a travel agent for a cruise. I get an expert, at no charge, spending hours on hold for me, with access with the best discounts, hotel rates and air fares.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
my3lilonkeyz
Earning My Ears

I was trying to use our reular AAA TA when I seen the kids sail free promo but she couldn't get any rooms for a family of 5 by that time soooooo after talking to Disney Agent and them explaining that people hold rooms and they are released 3 days after they hold them at midnight I waited up and got exactly what I wanted. I then turned around and transferred to my AAA TA so I could get the photo package bonus. I do plan trips for family and friends and their regular TA can't usually get as low a price as I do. I have even had my uncles TA call and ask how I got the deal that I did. I think I found my calling and when my youngest starts preschool in the fall I want to be a TA. It's something that makes me happy!

my3lilonkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
natandscott
Mouseketeer

My vote is for you to use a travel agent----that way, if something goes wrong you will have someone to blame and they will have a better chance at fixing it.

I know, I know, I'm awfully cynical for a Disney Fan!

Anyway, I worked as a TA for 10 years and I can tell you that we can sometimes pull strings and have contacts that can "fix" anything that may go wrong.
March 2010: Disney's Boardwalk
November 2011: Disney's Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Disney's Beach Club Resort
January 2014: Disney Cruise (Fantasy); Port Orleans Riverside; Pop Century
natandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
I don't use a TA. I like to have control over my reservation. If I want to make a change I don't want to have to get in touch with a TA and then wait for them to do it.
Same here. I have heard of people trying to get in touch with their TA and waiting and waiting. For me, the OBC isn't worth not getting what I want because I had to wait for someone to make a change to my reservation that I could easily have done myself.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
I don't use a TA. I like to have control over my reservation. If I want to make a change I don't want to have to get in touch with a TA and then wait for them to do it.
That is how I am. Plus I don t like having to wait to get ahold of them or play phone tag and so on and so on.

The onboard credit is nice but not worth it totally to me. I also like just being able to log in and make payments and change as I want and such.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Booking Disney with TA - Best Agent

Hello All,

I pose a question to everyone looking for opinions. We often book Disney vacations (WDW and DCL) with short notice. Due to this short notice, we have often used our local AAA rep because we have a personal relationship with our rep. We have personal contact information and she will often work with us in her off time to assist. Booking is always the quick part because we found a great deal. Adding stuff is not a big deal.

My question... Is there a TA that you could recommend that would be able to provide this type of service. We have looked at the OBC's from companies like DU and see that we may get a better deal using them. We recently found a great deal on a cruise on the Dream. We booked it ourselves because there were only 10 rooms left in the 4A category. Only other thing was concierge. After booking we tried DU quote stating that we had already booked. By the time the DU rep got back to us with a quote, there was nothing left but concierge. Maybe our email wasn't clear. When we explained that we had already booked, we were told that we wouldn't get much of an OBC since we had already booked.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

I think the last minute service comes from the existing relationship. I am experiencing a similar situation and really beginning to wonder if the OBC is worth dealing with the slow service. No suggestion for a specific TA but just to start somewhere with building a relationship with one with high OBC and hopefully the service will catch up.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
Hello All,

I pose a question to everyone looking for opinions. We often book Disney vacations (WDW and DCL) with short notice. Due to this short notice, we have often used our local AAA rep because we have a personal relationship with our rep. We have personal contact information and she will often work with us in her off time to assist. Booking is always the quick part because we found a great deal. Adding stuff is not a big deal.

My question... Is there a TA that you could recommend that would be able to provide this type of service. We have looked at the OBC's from companies like DU and see that we may get a better deal using them. We recently found a great deal on a cruise on the Dream. We booked it ourselves because there were only 10 rooms left in the 4A category. Only other thing was concierge. After booking we tried DU quote stating that we had already booked. By the time the DU rep got back to us with a quote, there was nothing left but concierge. Maybe our email wasn't clear. When we explained that we had already booked, we were told that we wouldn't get much of an OBC since we had already booked.

I've merged your thread with another thread on the same topic.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

I book with a Travel Agent just to get the onboard credits.

I use Dreams Unlimited Travel (which owns the DISboards!) I have had a fantastic experience working with them! My TA answers any questions I have! But I can book all my excursions, reservations, spa reservations, etc. all myself directly through Disney!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
I think the last minute service comes from the existing relationship. I am experiencing a similar situation and really beginning to wonder if the OBC is worth dealing with the slow service. No suggestion for a specific TA but just to start somewhere with building a relationship with one with high OBC and hopefully the service will catch up.
The slowness is what kills it for me. I tried to do one recently and it took two days to get a quote and then I asked a question about having a different room if it was available and by the time she got back the window to book at that price was over and it was evening so she was out of office and calling meant answering maching. So not worth it
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
SG101
Mouseketeer

In all honesty, I probably should be a Travel Agent with all the research I do for our cruises, airlines, hotels, transportation, etc. because I like nice things but at a bargain price (or at least try to). But with the past few Disney Cruises, I have used a TA @ www.smallworldvacations.com because of the onboard credit and because I didn't have time to book 5+ cabins especially since Disney's website stinks and you have to constantly call them.

I have been so happy with my TA that we have referred a bunch of our friends and family to her because she's on top of stuff (and I'm sort of a control freak and like things done ASAP).

Other than the cruise, I book our flights, hotels, transportation/rental cars, trip insurance, etc. by myself.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're making Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 3 Days San Diego May 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
Hello All,

If you had to PIF when you booked, you can't then transfer to a TA. Some of the great last minute deals have to be PIF on booking, so you either have to go through the TA before booking or no OBC.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: