Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
JOCELYNM
Mouseketeer

Disney Magic vs Dream

Can someone out there tell me what the difference is between the Magic vs Dream ship...The points are different and I wondered what the difference is between each ship.
Which ship do you prefer?
Thank you!
JOCELYNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

I've done both.

Magic was first for a 7 day Western Carribean and the Dream for a 4 night Bahama cruise, each about a year apart.

I have to say I'm partial to the Magic. Maybe because it was my first cruise experience it was extra special but...

It was smaller, less people and I do mean a LOT less people. I felt like a 'sheeple' on the larger Dream plus it was really big and a LOT of extra walking back and forth to places.

That all being said...How can any Disney cruise be a bad thing? I'm looking forward to Magic's sister ship the Wonder in Alaska next year.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
dinglefitzberry
Mouseketeer

cruise

Disney Dream is bigger but it is sooo nice. So many things to do. Service is absolutely wonderful. I am sure you get the same service on either ship though. Whichever you choose you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCELYNM View Post
Can someone out there tell me what the difference is between the Magic vs Dream ship...The points are different and I wondered what the difference is between each ship.
Which ship do you prefer?
Thank you!
dinglefitzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
JOCELYNM
Mouseketeer

Magic vs Dream

Thank you so much for your quick response and the information...Have a magical day!
JOCELYNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

how much smaller is the magic really? Im going on the magic after being on the fantasy and i'm afraid i'll be disappointed. Personally, I thought the fantasy wasent all that big.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
how much smaller is the magic really? Im going on the magic after being on the fantasy and i'm afraid i'll be disappointed. Personally, I thought the fantasy wasent all that big.
You'll definitely feel and see the difference between the two. Right from the moment you step into the atrium you will see a big difference. Does that make it worse? I look at it like seeing the castle in Disneyland the first time after going to Disney World so many times. It's smaller but no less magical.

I've been on the Wonder (twice), Magic (once), and Dream (twice). I still like the Wonder the most and I am currently booked on the Thanksgiving cruise and can't wait.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Matty Ice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever
The Disney Dream is about 40% bigger than the Magic.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
ginger3son
Earning My Ears

We cruise on the Dream in May and we just got off of the Magic a week ago. These were completely different cruises but overall I enjoyed the Magic a lot more than the Dream.
There are pros and cons to each ship. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.
I did book another cruise on the Dream for May 2014 but only because it had the dates that worked for our schedule. I will happily sail on any of the 4 ships.
ginger3son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear a lot of people love the Magic.
I guess my question is, what makes the Magic.....better than the Fantasy. Or why do you like it more?

Oh and for people sailing the Magic recently. Has the bedding been changed to the type thats on the Dream/Fantasy? The white bedding with the yellow runner? Ive seen pictures of the wonder recently with new bedding.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
ginger3son
Earning My Ears

The bedding has not changed on the Magic.

I don't know if I would say it was the ship itself that made our trip better, it was more of the overall experience. Our time on the Magic was for 6 nights and when we were only on the Dream for 4 nights. Having the extra days gave us more time to really enjoy all of the stuff the cruise has to offer. The staff onboard the Magic were amazing. They went out of their way to make the cruise very special for us. We have been off of the ship for a week now and my kids are still talking about the staff members daily.
ginger3son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger3son
The bedding has not changed on the Magic.

I don't know if I would say it was the ship itself that made our trip better, it was more of the overall experience. Our time on the Magic was for 6 nights and when we were only on the Dream for 4 nights. Having the extra days gave us more time to really enjoy all of the stuff the cruise has to offer. The staff onboard the Magic were amazing. They went out of their way to make the cruise very special for us. We have been off of the ship for a week now and my kids are still talking about the staff members daily.
I'm surprised the bedding hasn't changed on the Magic. We were on the wonder in 2010 and were pleasantly surprised upon returning to our stateroom to find brand new bedding. It was lovely.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

I'm guessing it will switch to the new bedding after its long dry dock this fall
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
tajz90
Mama D

I reaaaaalllllyyyyyyy wish that the bedding would be upgraded! We are sailing the Magic this July and for the $$$$, I think DCL should at least throw on a new bedspread.

That being said, we are Grand Slammers and the Magic is our all time favorite.

She's small. She's older. She's still classic! We feel much more pampered and attended to on the Magic. The Dream and Fantasy seem more like a cattle call. However, we wouldn't turn down a chance to sail on either of the new ships. It is Disney after all and a DCL cruise is way better than no cruise at all.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

As you can see from my signature we sailed Dream first and then the Magic and since then will only sail the clasic ships. I will take less crowds any day of the week. Not having to wait in line all the time is priceless!

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
poohfriend
DIS Veteran

I also prefer the Magic/ Wonder

Still love the Dream and Fantasy but prefer the smaller ship overall
Boardwalk Inn 9/07-- welcomed our Soldier Home!;
CSR 1/2008 ; POR 3/2008 & Wonder Cruise 3/2008...What a beautiful Day at CC