Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
taimie
Earning My Ears

Alexa's Make A Wish Trip April 2013

We are very excited for our upcoming wish trip for our daughter Alexa. We are going to GKTW April 23-29. Matter of fact we just received our flight itinerary in the mail the other day. It now actually seems real, before it was us just talking about it, but it did not feel "real" now it does!!.. Now that it is "real" we feel like we can start planning. All our children know we are going on the MAW trip, but only our 13 year old, Kaila, knows the dates. She wants to make a scavenger hunt for the other 3 the day before we leave to let them know. She is so sweet (I guess having a Valentines birthday does that to you.)!
Our wish child is 10 yr old Alexa. Alexa was born with a rare chromosomal syndrome called Cri du Chat/ 5p-. It is a deletion in the short arm of her fifth chromosome. Alexa is non-verbal, but can usually get her point across to you. You should see how excited she gets when she sees Disney commercials. She starts pointing at herself, then her brothers/sister then her dad and I, then she will point back at the TV. That is how we know this is the right wish for her. She also loves Justin Bieber, so we thought of that as a wish at first, but then thought how her reaction to people can be one extreme to the next. She may be happy and excited or start crying hitting and run the other way. Our luck if we would have chose him was she would run the other way not happy, and we did not want anyone to say her wish was more for her siblings. So Disney here we come, ready or not. We are looking to have some shirts made for the trip (depending on price). What are some great ideas you have all used in the past? Alexa will get a MAW shirt, but our local chapter said they can not afford to give the rest of our family one. Any ideas would be great!
Alexa aspirates on all thin liquids and gets sick very easy and like most of our kiddo's has been hospitalized, airlifted, poked, prodded, etc...... Alexa's aspiration on liquids has gotten worst as she gets older, they said there will come a point that she aspirates on all liquids as well as food. It is basically a waiting game.
Her brothers Jet-8 & Ryan- 6 and Kaila are so good with her most of the time.

Thanks for listing!! sorry I am not as good with words as the rest of you are.
Jet-8
Ryan-6
Michael-dad

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3069395
taimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
taimie
Earning My Ears

we are new to this, I actually posted this yesterday, but think I posted it in the wrong thread, so I copy and pasted it here. I hope I did it right this time. lol
Jet-8
Ryan-6
Michael-dad

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

having been to GKTW twice with grandsons trips, be perpared for a great time. if you have not found the GKTW prearrivial site, i would try to find it. lots of activites at the villahe besides the parks. ones my grandboys loved were the Halloween party, Christmas party, pool party, horseback riding and being tucked in by Mayor Clayton and Miss Merry. plus visits from a number of characters which we did either before breakfast or just after. plan on lots of photo ops and at the village lots of angels to take so all the family can be in pics you will be spoiled at the village as they will bend over backwards t o make your stay great. if you need anything be ready to talk withe them at village and they will try very hard to help you.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Hi tamie,
Looking forward to your trip. There were a few make a wish trips I had read trip reports for that are as rewarding as being on a Disney trip. If you are new to the forum, maybe someone can tell you about a trip report.

Maybe just adding to your title here is all that is required. If you are up to it. Snap photo's upload to a photo site and share the fun. Good way to memorialize your trip too.

Not too long you will begin packing.
Very excited for your family and daughter. There is a Disney planning DVD you can send for hat she will enjoy watching.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome

I wanted to mention that last night I was watch a documentary on kids that were non verbal and their ability to communicate with an i-Pad. They showed a child with an i-Pad playing with a program that would ask them basic questions such as which one is a bear and there would be 3 pictures for them to pcik from. Everytime this kid got the answer right. I thought how amazing!

Anyway if you have any questions about Disney feel free to ask we are all pretty knowledgable.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
heidibilotti
Mouseketeer

There are several ways to get shirts. There are disney graphic groups on Facebook. And also there are wonderful dis signers here. If you ask they will create a special design for your family and then you get iron on transfers and you are ready to go. Have a wonderful trip with your family.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Maybe you and your oldest could make shirts together to celebrate your family. We do this every trip to add to the magic beforehand. There are many easy ways to create shirts & I have probably tried most! LOL! I have made with computer transfer paper, fabric iron ons, fabric paint, sharpie tie-dyes, and bleach. None have been super expensive, but they've all been special! I want to try Mickey tie-dyes this summer. Have fun!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Oneplustwins
Mouseketeer

My son Jack and our family are going to GTKW April 16th! So we will just miss each other! I found adorable stuff on etsy for a good price. I had never been on there before, but loved it! I also had one if the designers on the thread make us shirts, I just have to figure out how to print them. . We are so excited too! Nd like you feel so blessed and happy to be thinking about planning and fun instead of therapies, appointments, labs etc.
Oneplustwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
momma31
Earning My Ears

Congrats on your dates

My dd's wish trip is april 14th-20th. We will be staying at GKTW as well. We havent had much contact with our wish granter so I am a little nervous. This will also be the first time boarding a plane with my children. What should I expect lol?
momma31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
taimie
Earning My Ears

we are so excited. we received our flight literary in the mail last week. The trip now feels real. Our coordinator said we will receive everything in the mail about a week be for we leave. SO excited.
How come some wish coordinators come to the home and others don't? We had to meet MAW in another town, and the person we meet then is not our coordinator. I have only spoke to her on the phone. Another family from the same town as us has their coordinator coming to their house. They have the same wish as us too by the way. It is the same person. So I was just wondering.
we are so ready and excited for this trip!!!!
Taimie
Jet-8
Ryan-6
Michael-dad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: