Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
nene0182
Mouseketeer

You should be fine. I had mine out almost 3 years ago and three weeks later we went on vacation. However I did have problems for the first week or two eating anything at all without pain. But, the only problems I still have is that I have to be very careful of what I eat or I can experience "tummy problems" But I know what they are and really they are things I probably shouldn't be eating anyways. I didn't have any issue with these things before having my gallbladder removed. My mother had hers removed about 6 months after me and she was fine within a week and has no ongoing issues.

CSR- 10/2012
nene0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Ginamarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene0182 View Post
You should be fine. I had mine out almost 3 years ago and three weeks later we went on vacation. However I did have problems for the first week or two eating anything at all without pain. But, the only problems I still have is that I have to be very careful of what I eat or I can experience "tummy problems" But I know what they are and really they are things I probably shouldn't be eating anyways. I didn't have any issue with these things before having my gallbladder removed. My mother had hers removed about 6 months after me and she was fine within a week and has no ongoing issues.
Oh yes! You may still be adjusting what things give you tummy problems in that period, but the good thing about being on a cruise ship is that your dining room is only a deck or two away from your toilet! That actually made me feel more at ease.
1980, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2003 (Ft Wilderness); Honeymoon 2002 (POFQ/Disney Magic), Sept 2003 (Disneyland!), Nov 2004 (CBR/Disney Magic), Dec. 2004 (Poly/CS), Aug 2005 (Disneyland), Oct/Nov 2005 (Pop), Olivia's 1st trip Dec 2006 (POFQ); Mom and Baby Trip, Oct 2007 (Pop); Pop/Disney Magic WB PC 5-10-08; Sal's First Trip Apr/May 2009 (POFQ); Big Family Trip Jan 2010 (POFQ); WL/Disney Magic EB TA Repo-4-10-10; Wine and Dine Half Marathon Oct 2010 (POR); Disney Wonder Alaska 6-21-11;Baby Owen's First Trip Aug 2011 (Ft Wilderness/BCV); ASSP May 2012; POFQ/YC Free Dining for our 10th Anniversary Sept 2012; Sisters Weekend Feb. 2013; Family Trip- Kidani Village/Freedom of the Seas Aug 2013 Coming soon: Disney Magic WB TA, Sept 2014; DSis's Disney Wedding Sept 2015

Ginamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginamarie

Oh yes! You may still be adjusting what things give you tummy problems in that period, but the good thing about being on a cruise ship is that your dining room is only a deck or two away from your toilet! That actually made me feel more at ease.
Ah, yes. That's true. YMMV. I was so lucky that once my diseased little organ was removed I felt like a million dollars. No problem eating after the first week.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I had an open hernia surgery last month with a 3 inch scar---and I didn't feel 100% at 3-weeks post surgery but I could have gone on a cruise. Mostly swelling, and just had to move slowly.

Just don't overeat---b/c wounds in the abdomen area also can hurt from pressure from the inside.

Have fun!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
FrogMBA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I had an open hernia surgery last month with a 3 inch scar---and I didn't feel 100% at 3-weeks post surgery but I could have gone on a cruise. Mostly swelling, and just had to move slowly.

Just don't overeat---b/c wounds in the abdomen area also can hurt from pressure from the inside.

Have fun!
I agree here. I had mine out and was back to work in a pharmacy within 2 weeks. However. I had to eat 4-6 small meals instead of the typical 3 meals a day. It helped keep the internal pressure down and that helped with the soreness.

Just mind you body signals and have a great cruise.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

Wow! I left for a few hours and came back to lots of wonderful advice! Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with me. It really doesn't sound like I need to worry. However, we are projected to get another 6-10 inches of snow on top of the 12 we just got for Sunday night into Monday. I sure hope it doesn't delay my surgery. I'm on a time schedule here! Lol! Thanks again for all of the replies--they make me feel so much better about surgery!

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago. I was off from work for two weeks. I had complications waking from the anesthesia and had to stay overnight but the procedure went well. The first week was a little rough but by the second week I was fine with maybe a little tenderness.

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandersons04
I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago. I was off from work for two weeks. I had complications waking from the anesthesia and had to stay overnight but the procedure went well. The first week was a little rough but by the second week I was fine. I will say that having it removed changed my ummm...bathroom routine. Haha
Ok--I have to ask. How did it change your bathroom routine? Do you have to go more often now? I've been told that food can go right through you for a while until your body adjusts. Good thing everything is fairly close and accessible on the ship.

Susan

02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,

Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

If you have the laparoscopic one, you will be fine in no time. I was back to work in 2 weeks....
my father had his out at 75 or so, and the next day he was dressed, and sitting on the edge of the bed impatiently waiting for me to pick him up! His mother had hers out in her 60s, he was in his 70s, and I was in my 50s. My Nana had it done the "old school" way, but even she did fine. Good luck!
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor

Ok--I have to ask. How did it change your bathroom routine? Do you have to go more often now? I've been told that food can go right through you for a while until your body adjusts. Good thing everything is fairly close and accessible on the ship.

Susan
It's like certain foods I ate triggered an immediate and very urgent need to go to the bathroom. I'm much better now and I'm really careful about certain foods now.

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
delo4
Mouseketeer
I am not a fancy food eater

Had mine out a couple of years ago and went on a 7 day cruise 10 days later.

I was having some discomfort after eating and I thought I should wait until after the cruise. However, the surgeon convinced me that I would not want to go on the cruise and "have to pull over to some island and suck on a chicken bone while they removed my gallbladder". That pretty much convinced me to have it out before I went.

I really had no trouble. We had a 7 hour drive to get to the port and I just took it a bit easier than I normally would have done. I was more careful in what I ate, nothing too greasy or high in fat.

The good news is that I lost 3 lbs on the cruise by eating carefully.
delo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
nene0182
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandersons04

It's like certain foods I ate triggered an immediate and very urgent need to go to the bathroom. I'm much better now and I'm really careful about certain foods now.
This is the problem I still have three years later but from what I've been told its not common to have continuing issues. Plus I know what causes it now and can avoid the triggers.

CSR- 10/2012
nene0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I have not had mine out, but a good friend had hers out last year and I didn't think I would see her for a few days and well like two days later she showed up at a Christmas parade with her son - She sat most of the parade - taking it easy, but within a week she was basically back to her old self - I don't know which type she had.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by delo4 View Post
Had mine out a couple of years ago and went on a 7 day cruise 10 days later.

I was having some discomfort after eating and I thought I should wait until after the cruise. However, the surgeon convinced me that I would not want to go on the cruise and "have to pull over to some island and suck on a chicken bone while they removed my gallbladder". That pretty much convinced me to have it out before I went.

I really had no trouble. We had a 7 hour drive to get to the port and I just took it a bit easier than I normally would have done. I was more careful in what I ate, nothing too greasy or high in fat.

The good news is that I lost 3 lbs on the cruise by eating carefully.
My doctor told me pretty much the same thing---I wouldn't want to be having emergency surgery in another country, so he thought I should get it done now. Also, is it kind of sad that I'm looking for the positives and thinking maybe I'll possibly lose a few pounds before we sail? I don't want to be running to the bathroom every second, but if I lose a little weight through all of this AND feel better, it will be so worth it!

Susan

Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
My doctor told me pretty much the same thing---I wouldn't want to be having emergency surgery in another country, so he thought I should get it done now. Also, is it kind of sad that I'm looking for the positives and thinking maybe I'll possibly lose a few pounds before we sail? I don't want to be running to the bathroom every second, but if I lose a little weight through all of this AND feel better, it will be so worth it!

Susan
You'll be happy to have it done with, and not have to worry. I had mine taken out about 3 years ago, right after I had my second child. I had it out on Wednesday, and was back to work on Monday. I work in pharmacy, so it wasn't a labor intensive job, but I was fine. I agree with some of the other posts that you will want to watch what you eat for a few days, but it's really nothing more than an inconvenience.

Also, I'm assuming you are having yours removed using the laparoscopic method? That is how mine was removed, and I believe that is the new standard. I would just double check with your surgeon about recovery time. I'm wishing you the best. I hope everything goes well and that you have a GREAT vacation!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: