Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

ME - handling your own bags

We have used ME many times (love the service) and have always had them handle getting our luggage to our resort.

However, on our next trip, our flight lands around 9pm, so we are going to pick up our own luggage at baggage claim and put them on the ME bus with us. We're going to be exhausted, so we will likely crash when we get to our room. I don't want to worry about a knock on our door at midnight, delivering our luggage.

It's just me and my DS8, who isn't strong enough to wheel a heavy suitcase or two. Will there be skycaps there who will help us get our luggage to the ME bus? Or perhaps luggage carts that we can rent?

OR....do you think we should just let ME handle our bags and put what we need immediately in our carryon?

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniosmom View Post
We have used ME many times (love the service) and have always had them handle getting our luggage to our resort.

However, on our next trip, our flight lands around 9pm, so we are going to pick up our own luggage at baggage claim and put them on the ME bus with us. We're going to be exhausted, so we will likely crash when we get to our room. I don't want to worry about a knock on our door at midnight, delivering our luggage.

It's just me and my DS8, who isn't strong enough to wheel a heavy suitcase or two. Will there be skycaps there who will help us get our luggage to the ME bus? Or perhaps luggage carts that we can rent?

OR....do you think we should just let ME handle our bags and put what we need immediately in our carryon?
I have arrived after 10pm before and ME doesn't get your bags that late. The Orlando airport does have those machines that rent carts if I remember correctly. The ME bus driver will load your bags on and off the bus, but you will need they aren't going to carry it into the resort for you. Not sure how late bell hop services is open at the resort.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Yankeemouse
Mouseketeer

Same thing here. We love how the luggage magically shows up in our room! Our flight arrives at 8:10 p.m. so we expect to be checking into the Contemporary by 9:30 ish.

We will most likely be up for a couple of hours but really don't want to answer the door after midnight. Anyone have experience with evening arrivals?
Yankeemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
MagicalMeg
Earning My Ears

You can have bell services hold your luggage until the morning & call to h e it brought up when u wake. I would put what you'll need in a carry on. Hubby and I did this last July, worked fine.
MagicalMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

There will be luggage carts that you can rent and get your bags to the DME bus. But in all reality?? How much strength does it take to pull a suitcase behind you?? I imagine that you will have a bag for each of you?? I would tell your ds that he is going to be responsible for his own bag...so after you get his clothes packed in the bag, he needs to be very careful about anything else he puts in it.
My dd started traveling when she was just a bit past 3. She had to take care of her own rolling carryon bag. And since she was about 6, she got to pull a regular checked bag.
I would have your ds take a backpack on the plane with him...then he can put the backpack on, and take care of the smaller checked bag. You can probably pull two if you have too.
Or, just get a cart...but I think those are a pain in the butt.

Your other option is to take one sizable carryon...put everything you will need for the night and the next morning in it. Tag your checked bags and let DME take care of them. When you get to your resort, tell them that you don't want the bags delivered until the next morning. Stop by Bell Services and tell them the same thing. When you get to your room, leave the 'do not disturn/privacy please' sign on your door. Then, your bags will be delivered first thing in the morning, and you can get a decent night's sleep.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Done this 3 times where I thought it might be easier picking them up ourselves.
one time the flight was landing similar to yours at 850 pm. the next one was like 955 pm, & just last year we were supposed to land at 8 something pm, but we didn't end up leaving JFK till 12:30 AM (because of delays) & arrived early in the morning at like 3 AM...We got to the airport at 5o pm & didn't finally land till 3AM...Very long day....The last thing I wanted to do was cart luggae around.

In your case I would definitely get the bags yourself. That way you have everything, & when you get back to the room you could just shower n get to bed...You won't have to wait for them to bring it up to you which could be a lil later & after u fall asleep.
The other alternative is have them bring it in the AM, but I'd ratrher have my stuff there, knowing I'm all set & ready to go for the next morning.

The only drawback with getting the bags yourself is Going from Terminal A all the way down to retrieval at Terminal B then back up to concourse then to Terminal A then to M.E. It's a lil weird how they do that and one of the perks with them picking up the bags for you, but We've learned to live with the extra 15 minutes or so.

There are always people around that will help you, but he should be able to roll it to the bus & they'll put it in for you. Or just prop up his suitcase on top of yours & wheel them both. In either case good luck & have a wonderful time...

Just an fyi. This coming trip in April we arrive at 930 AM, so it will be the 1st time actually not getting my bags..LoL....I'm sure we'll feel like Kings..LoL

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Moved from DVC Boards -

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalMeg View Post
You can have bell services hold your luggage until the morning & call to h e it brought up when u wake. I would put what you'll need in a carry on. Hubby and I did this last July, worked fine.
I hadn't thought of that -- great idea. I may just do that. We're early risers, so I assume I could call them very early and ask that they be brought up early.

Any idea what time bell services opens in the morning? We're going to be at BLT, so I assume the luggage will be held at the Contemporary? I'd love to get the luggage delivered early enough so that I can get us settled before breakfast.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that -- great idea. I may just do that. We're early risers, so I assume I could call them very early and ask that they be brought up early.

Any idea what time bell services opens in the morning? We're going to be at BLT, so I assume the luggage will be held at the Contemporary? I'd love to get the luggage delivered early enough so that I can get us settled before breakfast.
Trust me It'll definitely save u the hassle w/ getting your bags picked up.. Hopefully they can do this early enough for you.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
edk35
DIS Veteran

We plan on picking up our luggage too and bringing it to the ME. Our flight arrives 8:45 p.m., but we have BAD luck with delays leaving BWI all the time. Plus the last time we flew in at night....our bags didn't arrive until 1:00 A.M. and we arrived way before 8:00 p.m. Don't want that happening again...and IT WAS LATE JAN. It was not a busy time. I will only LET OUR BAGS MAGICALLY APPEAR when we have day flights.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Bell Services at the DVC/deluxe resorts is open 24 hrs. So, you can call them very early in the morning and they can bring your bags to you as soon as you want.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

On our recent trip, apparently we thought we were going on a 3 months safari, and packed accordingly. We had a LOT of bags.

So we had a pretty big tip budget for people to help us, especially since DH was injured for the trip.

While waiting for our bags, as we were about to go rent not one but TWO luggage carts, we were approached by a porter with a big luggage cart. We jumped at the opportunity. Because we have always had a rental car before, we didn't even know the way to ME. Since it was after midnight and we had had long flights, the brainpower was diminished. So it was wonderful to just follow the porter, because he definitely knew the way. We showed our vouchers at the ME kiosk and he went along sort of the outside of the line while we went through the line. We met him on the outside of the bus, he unloaded the bags and we tipped him, and he went on his way.

It was after 1am when we got to POR, and they had to call the Bell people from wherever they hide in the middle of the night. It took a little bit of time, but that helped resolve the checkin issues we had (only the start of our online checkin issues at true checkin, sigh). Finally they got a bell guy, our bags were loaded onto a golf cart as were we, and he took us over to our room.

Obviously our tip budget was high for this trip, but it was expected. I always set out the number of times someone will help with bags, and multiple it by # of bags, then add more to the budget, LOL.

So the short answer is "there are porters at the airport and there will be Bell people even if you have to have them called for you", if you want to take your bags with you. But if you don't, you can let Bell know to deliver them in the morning.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Just last week I saw luggage carts for rent by the luggage claim .

Also want to mention when you check out check to see if your airline participates in the RAC - resort airline check in- If so use it!!! You can check in for your flight no later than 3 hours before your flight and you can give them your luggage and the next time you see your luggage will be at your home airport. RAC is only open from 5:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m. Even if your flight is say 8:00 p.m you can use RAC just make sure to get there before 1:00 p.m. Then you won't have to worry about hauling the bags from the bus into the airport.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

The last time we arrived really late we were too late for the deadline and HAD to pick up our own bags. The time before that when we arrived late but just before the deadline I simply packed what we needed for the night in our carry-ons and had them hold our checked bag until morning. When I got up in the morning first thing I just called downstairs and they brought it up in less than 10 minutes. (I don't think Bell Services really closes they just downsize the staff.)

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Remember if ME handles your bags, you'll want to tip them a dollar or two per bag for the load/unload effort.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: