Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
gypsymama
Earning My Ears

Sailing March 1st out of Galveston!

This will be our first cruise. I have tons of questions! How do we figure out the movies playing? How do we figure out what night is formal night?? And the shows?
Is anyone else sailing then too? And how often will the buses be shuttling back to the cruise ship from the day at Disney?? We want to get as much time at Disney as possible!

Any help would be really appreciated!
gypsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

If you haven't found them yet, here's the meet thread for your cruise.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44424532

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

I think yours is only the 3rd Bahamian 8-night cruise out of Galveston. You might check the meet and trip report threads from the first couple (18 JAN and 15 FEB) to get an idea of the schedule....granted, the FEB cruise isn't back yet.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
NikkiFB
Earning My Ears

We were on the 1/18 sailing of this itinerary. Formal night was the first full sea day (Saturday), and pirate night was Wednesday (the night before Key West). Key West night (Thursday) was semi-formal.

The big shows were on Saturday (Twice Charmed), Sunday (Villains Tonight) and Tuesday (Dreams). They ran afternoon matinees of all of these, too.

Buses to WDW: I can't find my bus schedule, but we were on one of (if not THE) earliest, scheduled for 7:15 am. They said to come down 15-20 minutes early; we did, and were on the bus by 7:05, and it was full and left before 7:15. We went to Hollywood Studios, which opened at 9; we were there by 8:30. We had 9:05 breakfast reservations at Hollywood and Vine and were able to check in at the entrance gate and go in to b'fast early. The buses ran until (and maybe even after?) the parks closed; I'm guessing people COULD have gone to DTD after the parks were closed? All aboard was at 1:45 A.M. We have young children and they were DONE so we were on a bus around 8:30p.m.

They make the WDW day really easy; they'll give you all the info you need. We just knew we needed to make the most of the morning hours, since our kids wouldn't make it late into the night.

HTH
NikkiFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
slatterie
Earning My Ears

Someone from the January cruise uploaded all the navigators but I am unable to find the thread or the link (I just have the downloaded pdfs). I would not think there is much change since January. Maybe when the ones that are on now will post a TR before 3/1. This helped alot.

I believe the book you should have received in the mail with your luggage tags indicated which nights were formal/pirate/etc. Its the same as NikkiFB indicated.

It appears that there are movies that are running that have been out of theatrical release for some time and already on DVD. Disney and their family of companies do not have much on the release docket right now. OZ MAY be shown on the last night as its the same release day but who knows.

Also the WDW transportation starts to head back to the ships around 3 with the last ones leaving around 9pm or soon after. I guess it would depend on which parks are open later. That information will will be provided when you get on board. You need to sign up for the transportation time to leave the ship. You can do that on line or I am sure you can do it at Guest Services when you check in.

I know things can change anytime but I wish DCL was a little forthcoming with what to expect. That has been a bit disappointing. Of course I am a planner of sorts with my job so its difficult to disconnect that aspect when going on vacation. Thank goodness for this board - TY to everyone!

PS Another first timer here going on the 3/1! One week and counting!
slatterie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
NikkiFB
Earning My Ears

I'm a big planner too and was browsing these boards constantly before our trip, trying to be as prepared as possible. And I probably WAS just about as ready as I could have been.... but what I learned once on-board is that there is really NO WAY to prepare for EVERYthing. Even if you study all the Navigators ahead of time, you can't know til you get there what you will really *want* to do at the time, kwim? I'm working on a TR right now (the "Not the Trip We Meant to Take" one) and as I'm going through all my notes and Navs, etc, I'm realizing how many things we MISSED----despite how busy we stayed!!! There are just so many activities to choose from at any given time... and I really thoroughly enjoyed being surprised by each day's Navigators. It was fun to get them each evening and sit down and check out what would be going on the next day. Kind of like Christmas; I wouldn't have had as much fun with that if I'd known exactly what was going to happen each day.

My suggestion would be to be familiar with the dining options, have a sense of how you want your port days to go (not planned to the minute but also not a free-for-all), have in mind the things that you definitely want to try to do on the ship so you can watch for them and work around them, and pack decent-looking clothes that are easy to pack, wear, & mix-n-match so you don't have to fuss too much with wardrobe in the moment.

You will have an awesome trip----it was a really great itinerary for our family!!!

(PS here's a looooong thread of Qs and As from after our 1/18 trip returned!! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ight=galveston )
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
gypsymama
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much guys!!!! I really appreciate all of your responses! And yes I am a planner too. For our Disney World vacations i always have our days planned out from morning to night. I just hate missing out on something good!
I am going to go through all of the links and look forward to meeting any of you guys!
gypsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
slatterie
Earning My Ears

Thanks NikkiFB -

I'm not too bad - I dont plan every aspect of the trip. I just dont like to be surprised (re: embarrassed) with a procedure or process that I didnt know about. I'm unfortunately the one everyone depends on to be "informed".

Looking at the navigators I have picked a few things that I would like to do (or think someone in our party would like), but if we miss it or its not available its no biggie. At least it doesnt appear that I will be bored which was my initial fear/resistance to cruising.

Back to packing!
slatterie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
NikkiFB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatterie View Post
Thanks NikkiFB -

I'm not too bad - I dont plan every aspect of the trip. I just dont like to be surprised (re: embarrassed) with a procedure or process that I didnt know about. I'm unfortunately the one everyone depends on to be "informed".

Looking at the navigators I have picked a few things that I would like to do (or think someone in our party would like), but if we miss it or its not available its no biggie. At least it doesnt appear that I will be bored which was my initial fear/resistance to cruising.

Back to packing!
Ha! That's me too--the "informed one"!! I kept being shocked by all the things my DH did NOT know about what was going on!!! And I know exactly what you mean about that surprised/embarrassed thing... it's the worst.

You will have fun getting each day's new Nav... even after looking at them online... it's like children, "it's different when they're your own!!!"

I WAS glad I had glanced over some Navs ahead of time and picked out a few things I didn't want to miss. It helped to know the things I wanted to look out for. Only a couple of times was there a conflict and I had to make a choice. I found the movies thing difficult---maybe b/c they took such a big chunk of time so had too many conflicts with other stuff---I didn't get to see any of the movies I had hoped to catch.

Have a great trip!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: