Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Extra Magic Hours

Hi All~
I was just wondering about the emh hours at night - we've been to Disney a ton but never used them. This time we're going with lo's and I'm thinking of using the Kids Nite Out service after bed time (7PM) and going to grab something to eat and hitting a park afterwards so that we get to do some of the things we'll miss during the day.

So anyways, what are wait times like during this time? We are going to go at the end of August if that matters (I know it's busier at that time of year). Any other important experiences or information? Thank you so much in advance!
shm_helene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
EKW
DIS Veteran

I have only had one experience with this, but I'll share. First, I should say that my family has a Disney motto: We'll sleep when we're dead. My kids are normally award-winning couch potatoes, but at Disney, they are strictly all-go. Our day was a MK. We were at rope drop that morning (9, I think...maybe 8). We spent the day in the park, went to WCC for dinner, took a half hour rest in the lobby, and when we returned they were already handing out EMC wrist bands. (Don't know if they still do that...think maybe not.) We watched a parade, etc, and then noticed the parks were seriously emptying out. We were able to walk on to the Flying Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Buzz (several times) and the Haunted Mansion. There wasn't a line at any of them. This was early June...and the park was open until 3 a.m. Not every ride was up and running, but the big ones were. We got onto the last Haunted Mansion ride of the night. The CM interaction was amazing...some of our best memories! Following the ride we went to the Bakery and got snacks, then sat on the steps of the train station to watch the Kiss Goodnight. We were able to get right on the bus back to Movies...got off at Music because we were in Mighty Ducks. A CM with a golf cart saw us and gave us a ride to our sidewalk. My kids were only 8 and 13 at the time...but they did the entire day!!! I'll admit, we missed rope drop the next morning by about 45 minutes, but there was no whining...and lots of laughter!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

End of August should actually be a good time to go as for the crowds because most schools are back in session. The main negative is the heat, in which case night EMH would be a wonderful thing! Some of our fave times have been at night, especially at MK and Epcot. It's a totally different experience and is a lot cooler. Normally we either hang out at the resort all day, go offsite, or do a shorter park such as AK or HS. Then we rest up a bit and get to the park later afternoon or early evening. There may be sme lines when the EMH first starts, but stick with it, because people will poop out and the park will eventually get emptier! There have been nights when we can just keep riding the same ride over and over. It's great!
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I've noticed that some of our favorite rides aren't open at night though and that Splash Mountain isn't at all That's disappointing.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
theAfamily
Earning My Ears

extra magic hours are always really fun for us! Lines are usually a little shorter(not a ton but not like crazy 3 hour long waits) and crowds are a less though i'm surprised how many parents i see still lugging around their cranky toddlers. We have taken our kids to extra magic hours multiple times and as long as they had a nap in mid day they are totally fine especially with a stroller. They love how its not as hot at night. Overall EMH are so worth it and a ton of fun!

The Big A Family! Family of 14!

Molly Bert

Derik (19) Rachel and Gracie (15) Piper, Lexie, and Kylie (9) Bentley and Chloe (6) Brooke (4) Samuel and Sadie (3) Sophie (11 months)

Went to WDW with entire family on 8/12/12
theAfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Usually the wait times are very short during EMH, although they don't usually start until around 9 or 10 pm in August. My mom usually comes with us, so DH and I go out alone 2-3 times per trip while the kids and grandma sleep. I've also found that sometimes rides that are "supposed to be" closed end up being open during EMH. I know I've been on Splash Mountain late Sidewalks are much clearer than they are during the day.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the answers! Now I've been hearing that EMH might be going away...wonder if they will even be around by the time we go in August...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: