Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
anniedream
Mouseketeer

Virgin Atlantic - is it worth upgrading?

My partner and I are going to Orlando in September. It is our second time going but first time flying with Virgin Atlantic. Is it worth upgrading to Premium Economy? We heard that if they haven't sold out of seats in PE or UC, on the day of your flight, you may get offered to upgrade at a discount price. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, Annie x

Onewomanonedream.tumblr.com
anniedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Hi Annie
I'm just going to pop this over to UK Trip Planning where I'm sure they will give you some great advice. Happy planning.

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
queendisney
DIS Veteran

you will get Yes and No from this question.

IMO no its not. Its £395 each way per person (the last time I looked) and I think this is way too much for what you get. Yes you get wider seats and a few more inches leg room and real plates but I think thats still too much money for that. On the day you may be able to get some seats but the are still going to be around the £280 each mark! Have you maybe thought of paying for the extra leg room seats in economy or the emergancy exit seat.

I suppose it all depends on how you view your flight..we view it as a big flying bus and a means to an end and are used to the flight now and that 9+ hours just goes by quite quickly.

We have PE on our way out this year because we had enough airmiles so are looking forward to it but wouldn't pay to do it.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Agree with above, whenever I've looked at it I just didn't think it was worth it. Business class is one thing, Prem Economy is just Economy with a couple of bells and whistles IMO
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
baylie666
Mouseketeer

I am going to go against the above comments

We have booked for Premium Economy on our October flight with Virgin, and I would not have it any other way. It is more then just some proper plates, and a bit more legroom. You get more baggage allowane, Preferred check in, Priority baggage and priority boarding plus a ton of other small extras.
I class leaving the front door of my house as the beginning of my holiday and would hate to be squashed on a plane for 9 hours and be uncomfortable.

Just MHO

Plus we didn't pay nearly as much as stated above to upgrade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
baylie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylie666 View Post
I am going to go against the above comments

Plus we didn't pay nearly as much as stated above to upgrade.
Its been the going rate whenever we have asked..how much did you pay for you tickets (if you don't mind me asking that is?)

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
dc1964
DIS Veteran

Save your money. Economy is fine. The leg room was perfectly ok and the on demand entertainment was brilliant. I guess the food is the same wherever u sit. Think what you could spend the extra money on.
2003 ramada international drive,2003 Howard johnson International drive and Portofino bay
2004 Homewood suites,2004 Xmas at Ramada on 192
2005 Parc Corniche ,Touring Orlando, Miami and keys, carnival Cruise from miami,2005 Xmas at homewood suites
2006 Homewood suites,2006xmas at Homewood Suites, bahamas Cruise with carnival
2007 Home wood suites,2007 NYC and Caribbean Cruise on QM2
2008 New Year at Homewood suites and Highlands reserve
2009 7th to 17th December, Hawthorn Suites Universal and touring around Florida

dc1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
OhanaSam
Mouseketeer

I've never flown with virgin but there's no way I would pay £395 for a few extras. That's more than half the cost of my flight!

I never got the point of priority boarding, especially when you have specific seats picked

Me(23) DBF(23)
OhanaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
luke
Señor Mejor

We are looking forward to our first PE flight next month. Then again when we booked it, Premium Economy was cheaper than regular Economy...

Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
baylie666
Mouseketeer

We didn't upgrade our tickets as we booked them as Premium Economy. And at the time they were only £180 more than economy ones.

For us it was all about being comfortable on the longish flight. And I don't want to feel hemmed in by other passengers being so close.

Also wanted to add that the food is a different menu from economy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by baylie666; 02-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.
baylie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

My fiancee and I have flown premium economy from London to Los Angeles for the past couple of years and I definitely don't regret paying the extra.

I'm 6'2", so the extra leg room is a huge thing for me and it's lovely not having to compete with a few hundred other people for the handful of legroom seats (that you have to pay extra for) in economy.

The smaller cabin means that the service is much better as you're not left waiting and hoping they have your food choice because you're near the back and they're generally a bit more attentive.

Priority baggage, checkin and boarding are all nice to have things that just make your life that little bit easier at the airport.

I wouldn't bother doing premium on a short flight when economy is perfectly adequate as you don't really have time to start feeling uncomfortable, but for long haul, I'd definitely upgrade whenever I can afford it

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Sarah84
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on the price, we flew PE on the way home last year and loved it. We didn't pay for it though as we used miles, I'm only 5ft so the space thing isn't too much of an issue for me in economy but even I loved the extra space of the PE seats and DH certainly did as he even managed to sleep on the flight which he doesn't normally.
Would we book it again? Yes, if the price was right but we're also happy enough in Economy if it isn't.
April 2012: Disney World wedding & Mexico honeymoon
March 2013: Disneyland Paris July 2013: Las Vegas Jan 2014: Disney World & Disney cruise on The Magic
Sarah84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

It definitely depends on the price. I've flown PE before and loved it. We are flying PE this time too as when we booked our seats it was around £160pp more than economy. (During a sale) So only about £80 extra each way.

I personally find on the day upgrades don't tend to be that good a deal. They always say they are 'discounted' but in my experience I have found better prices upgrading a few weeks before we go. I guess it probably depends how many they have left to sell. It also depends on your fare type I believe.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
anniedream
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the advice. Really helpful. We flew with Thomas Cook last year (never again), so flying with Virgin will seem like we are in Business Class compared to that. I am only 5ft 3 so extra leg room isn't a big issue for me. My partner however just wants the best of everything, as I'm sure a lot of us do for a little as possible.
X

Onewomanonedream.tumblr.com
anniedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurafoster View Post
It definitely depends on the price. I've flown PE before and loved it. We are flying PE this time too as when we booked our seats it was around £160pp more than economy. (During a sale) So only about £80 extra each way.

I personally find on the day upgrades don't tend to be that good a deal. They always say they are 'discounted' but in my experience I have found better prices upgrading a few weeks before we go. I guess it probably depends how many they have left to sell. It also depends on your fare type I believe.
I think that price is rare and you were just lucky..we never have found it at anything like that price with VA..

I suppose it also depends on how much you paid for your original ticket before upgrading. Ie...if you've already paid £700+ for your ticket then paid an extra £160 to upgrade then you're already paying a lot...where as if you've only paid £400 then they want the £395 then its swings and roundabouts..
Either way the food in PE isn't great, its ok, but not worth paying that much for, and depending where you sit on the plane you can get off within 5 mins of PE leaving. Not worried about boarding first, the plane will still take off at the same time for everybody, extra luggage is only £30 per case, the figs just don't add up in my eyes. Totally understand if you are tall, have a medical condition, but still think at that price its a rip off!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: