Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
jp02
Mouseketeer

Split stays and ME

Has anyone had any bad experiences using ME when they have done a split stay? It seems simple enough; I would tell them to pick me up at a different resort than my luggage tags were for. I'm just worried there would be confusion and ME would pick me up at my first resort on departure day. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

We've done 2 split stays and never had a problem. When you call to reserve ME just let them know you will be departing from a different resort.

To put your mind at ease, call ME after you make your reservation and ask the CM to read the details of your reservation back to you. Then you'll know if they have your reservation correct.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

I just did this myself. It was pretty easy, but like you said I'm still a little nervous. What I did was call up disney reservation gave them my first reservation # for my inbound flight and they added my arrival info to that reservation. Then I gave them my 2nd resort reservation # for them to put my outbound flight info on.

As another poster mentioned call ME a few weeks before your trip and make sure they have everything correct. That's my plan of action!!!

Just as a heads up too, I was told that you will only get a ME package that includes your arrival info for your 1st resort. For the departure you will just use the ME paperwork they hang on our resort door the day before you head home.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post
I just did this myself. It was pretty easy, but like you said I'm still a little nervous. What I did was call up disney reservation gave them my first reservation # for my inbound flight and they added my arrival info to that reservation. Then I gave them my 2nd resort reservation # for them to put my outbound flight info on.

As another poster mentioned call ME a few weeks before your trip and make sure they have everything correct. That's my plan of action!!!

Just as a heads up too, I was told that you will only get a ME package that includes your arrival info for your 1st resort. For the departure you will just use the ME paperwork they hang on our resort door the day before you head home.
You're right in that you will only receive your inbound flight via mail. Disney will hang your departure info on your room door the day before your departure. We've done plenty of split stays and never had a problem with our luggage. If you're really nervous about it, don't use the tags and pick up your baggage yourself and bring them with you when you head to ME.

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
You're right in that you will only receive your inbound flight via mail. Disney will hang your departure info on your room door the day before your departure. We've done plenty of split stays and never had a problem with our luggage. If you're really nervous about it, don't use the tags and pick up your baggage yourself and bring them with you when you head to ME.
Oh we've used ME a million times! I LOVE not having to get my bags and then them just magically appearing in my room!!

I'm more so nervous come departure time that something will be screwed up and I won't get my ME papers hanging on my room door at the second resort.

On another note. This our first split say so obviously I will need bell services at my 1st resort to transfer my luggage to my 2nd resort. Have you done this before? Is it easy? Is there any certain time I should have my luggage at bell services? Around what time can I expect my luggage to arrive at my 2nd resort? I was told it could take over 6 hours to do the transfer?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom

Oh we've used ME a million times! I LOVE not having to get my bags and then them just magically appearing in my room!!

I'm more so nervous come departure time that something will be screwed up and I won't get my ME papers hanging on my room door at the second resort.

On another note. This our first split say so obviously I will need bell services at my 1st resort to transfer my luggage to my 2nd resort. Have you done this before? Is it easy? Is there any certain time I should have my luggage at bell services? Around what time can I expect my luggage to arrive at my 2nd resort? I was told it could take over 6 hours to do the transfer?
I switched from AOA to POFQ on my last trip. It worked okay.... I called lugage service at AOA and arranged them to pick my lugage up at my room and transfer it to FQ (called two days before). Despite the fact that they were almost an hour late, it worked fine They picked it up at around 10 am at AOA. But yes, it can take some time for it to arrive at the new resort! I tried to get it from bell service at around 1 pm, but I was told that it won't arrive until 3 pm. They said that in most cases you won't be able to pick it up before 3 or 4 pm!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

We have done this a couple of times. Last October was the most recent. We actually received two sets of ME tickets in the mail. It was like I got one for each reservation. One listed my inbound flight and for outbound it said something like 'unavailable' or something. The second was reversed, but did list my outbout flight information. On the night before departure, the ME time was on door. The ME time was different than I had expected so I looked up my flight information on my phone. The airline had moved the flight time earlier! So, thanks to ME, i didn't miss my flight.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. Disney allows you to book ME for only one end of your trip. That is what you are doing for a split stay. The return trip is linked to your second reservation.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We love split stays and we love magical express! We've done three split stays over the past year and it always goes smoothly in the end. But for some reason, the system never understands what we're doing! We usually get two sets of ME tags in the mail, even though we only booked MCO-WDW for Resort #1 and WDW-MCO for Resort #2. And then we frequently get an ME notice without flight info in Resort #1 the day before our transfer.

Whenever we get this extra stuff, I call to straighten it out. But as long as they have our arrival to Resort #1 and departure from Resort #2 in the system, all is well!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Annie78
Mouseketeer

What about splits involving a DVC points rental plus a regular resort reservation? I have my arrival night booked at POP via Disney, and my last two nights booked at BLT via points rental.
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyqueendenmark

I switched from AOA to POFQ on my last trip. It worked okay.... I called lugage service at AOA and arranged them to pick my lugage up at my room and transfer it to FQ (called two days before). Despite the fact that they were almost an hour late, it worked fine They picked it up at around 10 am at AOA. But yes, it can take some time for it to arrive at the new resort! I tried to get it from bell service at around 1 pm, but I was told that it won't arrive until 3 pm. They said that in most cases you won't be able to pick it up before 3 or 4 pm!
Thanks for the info. I been hearing the same thing that luggage isn't delivered to your second resort till after 3 which I'm ok with. I just am nervous it will be later then that. We are planning to head to MK for EMH around 6-7p. I just want to have everything away and settled for the week before we head out.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78
What about splits involving a DVC points rental plus a regular resort reservation? I have my arrival night booked at POP via Disney, and my last two nights booked at BLT via points rental.
I'm doing the same thing. You book the inbound on the regular reservation. You will have to get the DVC member to add the outbound info for ME for you.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

One DME reservation for both ends of split stay?

I just found this thread as I was searching around for info on DME and split stays.

Question: Has anyone ever gotten one combined DME booklet for both portions their split stay?

Everything I've read, and my own personal experience with past split stays, has people getting two DME booklets (one for each reservation in their split, with one booklet covering arrival and one departure).

Long story short, yesterday we got a DME booklet for the second half of our split. It had luggage tags (which I don't need) and vouchers. Arrival info was not listed (as expected because we're arriving before that ressie starts) but departure info was correct.

I was concerned that we got our departure pack before our arrival packet so I thought it was worth it to call the DME hotline. Turns out the first part of our split stay didn't download to their system but she was able to locate it while I was on the phone.

She said she's requesting a new packet to be sent, but here's where I get unsure: she says it will be one DME reservation and one combined booklet covering both parts of our split stay. She did read everything back to me (flight numbers, which hotel to drop us off to and which hotel to pick us up from). New packet will be here in 7-10 days.

The worry wart in me is concerned that this is going to get messed up and the luggage will get delivered to the wrong hotel since it'll be one DME reservation number, so I'm assuming two hotels will pop up when that number is scanned. Logic would tell me that they'll go by what's written on the tag (which should say POR assuming everything in the new packet is right) but like I said, first class worry wart here! I was hoping maybe someone out there can reassure me that they've seen it done this way before, lol!

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78 View Post
We've done this before (and are leaving tonight for another cash/points stay!) Just make sure your DVC owner adds your ME info & you will get 2 sets of ME tags, one for arrival & one for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post

Question: Has anyone ever gotten one combined DME booklet for both portions their split stay?

In all my split stays I have never received them combined, always 2 separate booklets/mailings. Maybe if she was expediting it for you she was able to do it that way by overriding the system.

Nothing to worry about, we've already not received any ME info by mail, had the wrong guest/flight/day on our ME info, etc. It has always been fixed very easily & very quickly by either a phone call to ME or by going to concierge at the resort.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
In all my split stays I have never received them combined, always 2 separate booklets/mailings. Maybe if she was expediting it for you she was able to do it that way by overriding the system.

Nothing to worry about, we've already not received any ME info by mail, had the wrong guest/flight/day on our ME info, etc. It has always been fixed very easily & very quickly by either a phone call to ME or by going to concierge at the resort.
Thank you for the reassurance, I appreciate it! I live in perpetual fear of lost luggage - it's a curse!

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post

You don't need the DME packet to go home. There's no check-in and no luggage service operated by DME on the way back. If you send your luggage back through the resort airline check-in, that is a different system from DME and you do not need your DME vouchers for that (but remember to bring your ID!)

Just take what they hang on your door (you should have a sheet for each party member) and present it to the DME driver.

I've done DME on many split stays and there has been no confusion and no problems.

I don't recall them ever combining both stays in one booklet. A split stay is two separate reservations and you get one DME reservation for each one. I don't think I've ever gotten a booklet for part 2 of a split stay. You dont need the booklet if you are already at WDW and are only going TO the airport. You do not need or use DME luggage tags upon departure. They are only for arrival.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 03-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: