Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,394

Key West and Castaway Cay Questions

My DH would like to snorkel on Castaway Cay..is he allowed to bring his own gear or does he need to rent those from Disney? ( I am guessing he does since he has to also wear a vest which is in the package?) Do you have to pre choose your Castaway Cay rental items or can you choose once you get there?
In Key West, has anyone taken the Presidents, Pirates and Pioneers tour? I'd like to try that Key Lime pie on a stick that was on Food Network..I saw it mentioned here but can't remember where to get it..Any advice on these two ports?
__________________
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
My DH would like to snorkel on Castaway Cay..is he allowed to bring his own gear or does he need to rent those from Disney? ( I am guessing he does since he has to also wear a vest which is in the package?) Do you have to pre choose your Castaway Cay rental items or can you choose once you get there?
In Key West, has anyone taken the Presidents, Pirates and Pioneers tour? I'd like to try that Key Lime pie on a stick that was on Food Network..I saw it mentioned here but can't remember where to get it..Any advice on these two ports?
He certainly may bring his own gear, if he wishes. Yes, he will have to wear the DCL supplied vest (no charge), just pick one up at the snorkle hut.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about choosing your CC rental items. What items?
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
He certainly may bring his own gear, if he wishes. Yes, he will have to wear the DCL supplied vest (no charge), just pick one up at the snorkle hut.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about choosing your CC rental items. What items?
or at the life guard stands
__________________
12 DCL cruises 2002-2014
8 CCL cruises 2005-2012
7 WDW trips 1998-2005



TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
or at the life guard stands
I think the ones at the lifeguard stands are the ones with the floatation foam in them, right?

The vests for the snorkle area are small inflatable ones (that don't even really need to be inflated). At least they used to be.

Not a great picture, but you can kind of see the one DH had on at CC when we were there
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 284

You can get key lime on a stick at Kermit's Key Lime shoppe. As I recall, it is down the street several blocks from Sloppy Joes. This place had some great key lime salsa too.
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I think the ones at the lifeguard stands are the ones with the floatation foam in them, right?

The vests for the snorkle area are small inflatable ones (that don't even really need to be inflated). At least they used to be.

Not a great picture, but you can kind of see the one DH had on at CC when we were there
No they are the ones that you have to inflate...I bring my own mask and fins and always get the vest from the life guard stand so that I do not have to wait in the line at the rental shop.
__________________
12 DCL cruises 2002-2014
8 CCL cruises 2005-2012
7 WDW trips 1998-2005



TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
No they are the ones that you have to inflate...I bring my own mask and fins and always get the vest from the life guard stand so that I do not have to wait in the line at the rental shop.
Cool, thanks!
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I think the ones at the lifeguard stands are the ones with the floatation foam in them, right?

The vests for the snorkle area are small inflatable ones (that don't even really need to be inflated). At least they used to be.

Not a great picture, but you can kind of see the one DH had on at CC when we were there
This is really BAD advice If some one is of "limited" "poor" or a "BAD" swimmer/has difficulty treading water they really need to inflate the vest for their own safety/protection.
__________________
12 DCL cruises 2002-2014
8 CCL cruises 2005-2012
7 WDW trips 1998-2005



TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
He certainly may bring his own gear, if he wishes. Yes, he will have to wear the DCL supplied vest (no charge), just pick one up at the snorkle hut.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about choosing your CC rental items. What items?
On the excursions page on the website it gives you opeions for bike rentals, tube rentals, etc...I was wondering if we had to choose what we wanted now or if there was a option to just walk up and rent these things while on the island. C
__________________
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: One hour from WDW
Posts: 2,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
On the excursions page on the website it gives you opeions for bike rentals, tube rentals, etc...I was wondering if we had to choose what we wanted now or if there was a option to just walk up and rent these things while on the island. C
You can choose to reserve the items ahead of time or you can walk up and get what you want for the day. If you think you are going to "package" several items (IE: bikes and snorkle) then it maybe better and faster to reserve them ahead of time.
__________________
Do whatever makes you and your family happy (From the Haunted Mansion DVD)
com_op_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
This is really BAD advice If some one is of "limited" "poor" or a "BAD" swimmer/has difficulty treading water they really need to inflate the vest for their own safety/protection.
Agreed. I was only mentioning it for the OP. I felt that anyone who has their own snorkle equipment probably is a fairly decent swimmer. Maybe a bad expectation, but still valid.

The vest is for boyancy as well as visibility in the water, so those who don't require the boyancy won't necessarily need to inflate it.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Ichiban
Mouseketeer
 
Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 90

We were just in both places. On Castaway Cay, we rented snorkel gear that day and it was no problem. You can bring your own snorkel gear and borrow lifejackets for free as well. In Key West they gave us a shopping map that had the place you are talking about on it- Kermit's. We never made it there, though. If your stop is a half day like ours was, the time really goes by quickly! We just did the City View trolley tour on our own and found it a good way to see the island with limited time.
__________________
Ichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
iHeartDisneyXo
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
On the excursions page on the website it gives you opeions for bike rentals, tube rentals, etc...I was wondering if we had to choose what we wanted now or if there was a option to just walk up and rent these things while on the island. C
We brought and used our own snorkel gear both cruises I've been on. Like others have noted, we just walked up to a life guard stand near the front and grabbed an inflatable vest. (They're free to use - and I think they might make you wear them in the family snorkel area anyways)

We waited to rent the bikes until we were at CC. That way we knew for sure we still wanted to use them, just in case were too tired from snorkeling, or just wanted to keep enjoying the beach. I've never rented a tube, but I do recall that near the end of the day there were quite a few abandoned tubes floating out in the water.
__________________
melanie.q
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WDW Premium Annual Passholder since '07

DCL Wonder Bahamian [11.22.09, 05.16.10]
DCL Wonder 5-night W.Caribbean [03.02.13]
DCL Magic 5-night Castaway Cay Double Dip [10.20.13 - canceled]
DCL Magic 5-night W.Caribbean [11.10.13]
DCL Dream 4-night Castaway Cay Double Dip [10.23.14]



iHeartDisneyXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
nannylori
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: hampton bays,ny, and Key West,Fla,usa
Posts: 393

I'm not familiar with that particular tour,but most KW tours are pretty good.
If you have young children,say under 14, I would look into taking a Conch Train Tour. The kiddos would enjoy the ride more than on a trolley.
One difference-trolleys let you do on/off stops,but the train is one hour straight. But on the train,you feel "closer to the action". Children find it fun to ride. You'll get a great overview of the culture,architecture and island history. You'll also get to see other places where you might want to go(like the Butterfly Conservatory). You'll also get info on the frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick, as well as regular pie. Kermits is the most famous,but by no means,the only one available. I believe you saw on TV the Key West Key Lime Pie Co. I think Bobby Flay won on TV,but when the cameras went off,HE said he liked the Pie Company better than his.

There's also a beautiful beach and civil war fort just minutes from the dock-Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Beautiful blue green caribbean water,with tons of Pelicans diving for fish.

Americas first outdoor aquarium is in Mallory Square-it's small & doesn't consume too much time.
Hope I helped a little
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular tour,but most KW tours are pretty good.
If you have young children,say under 14, I would look into taking a Conch Train Tour. The kiddos would enjoy the ride more than on a trolley.
One difference-trolleys let you do on/off stops,but the train is one hour straight. But on the train,you feel "closer to the action". Children find it fun to ride. You'll get a great overview of the culture,architecture and island history. You'll also get to see other places where you might want to go(like the Butterfly Conservatory). You'll also get info on the frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick, as well as regular pie. Kermits is the most famous,but by no means,the only one available. I believe you saw on TV the Key West Key Lime Pie Co. I think Bobby Flay won on TV,but when the cameras went off,HE said he liked the Pie Company better than his.

There's also a beautiful beach and civil war fort just minutes from the dock-Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Beautiful blue green caribbean water,with tons of Pelicans diving for fish.

Americas first outdoor aquarium is in Mallory Square-it's small & doesn't consume too much time.
Hope I helped a little
This one sounds interesting..and not as long as the other? Since we are there such a short time I want looking aound on my own time also.. I'll look into this one thanks!
__________________
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.