Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Weekly Recap September 2014 WBTA

This is a weekly recap of the posts for the September 2014 WBTA on the Magic.

If you are joining us as a cruiser, please visit our Cruise Meets thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3063697

This thread is intended to make it easier for our friends to keep up with our extremely chatty group.

If you want to access this more easily, link to it under "Thread Tools" above and select "Subscribe to this Thread." After you have signed in, click on "User CP" in the blue bar on the left upperhand side of the screen and see it in your Subscribed Threads listing.

This is just the recap thread- please make any responses on the regular meet thread. Thank you.

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 01:07 AM.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
NWmom
DIS Veteran

The Week of DisBoard Posts in Review
(February 12-22) pages 1-65

As short a summary as possible. I'm a newbie on the WBTA also, a few things might not make sense to me- if I think it needs explanation- I'll ask for more clarification so all can join in the fun. Beware, I have dry wit and a bizarre sense of humor, things strike me as funny for the oddest reasons, even so, please know I would never intentionally make fun of anyone.

Page 1 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3063697

Stress that everyone needs to follow the directions on each event for how to sign up for it. For some it is pm, for others it is by email. Thank you.

Post 1 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...37&postcount=1
Itinerary
Roll Call
Facebook Page link

Post 2 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...51&postcount=2
Fish Extender Group
Stateroom Tour
Palo Group Brunch
Pre-Cruise Hard Rock Get Together

Post 3 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...67&postcount=3
Dis Group Drink Tastings- rum, tequila, mojitos, Champagne Girls, whiskey, martini, beer

Post 4 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...79&postcount=4
World Wide Man Club
Scrapbook Exchange
Hotel Praktik Rambla in Barcelona
Touring tips links
Dis Group Dining Lists
Secret Mickey
WBTA bracelets
WBTA lanyards
WBTA pins
Mixology tasting
Chocolate tasting
Candy Exchange
BookSwap

Many comments on how excited everyone is. Old friends reconnecting and new friends being made.

Page 2
More chit chat on who is coming and an interesting comment or two:

Claire (Pinky 166) started the thread as a guarantee she would get to go- best plan ever!!

Concern about if Margaret(Magic123) should be starting getting her dresses ready yet or not.- Hmm, I sense a back story on this one.

Page 3

Margaret (Magic123) said:
Quote:
don't know if I'll have room for 22 dresses this time if we have to fly back, will just have to get myself one of those new wearable luggage dresses, what a sight that will be
Margaret and Norman (Grumpy123) bantered back and forth about getting the last word. Margaret won.

I learned Norman was cheeky. Norman was encouraged to behave.

Norman implied that
Quote:
someone threatened to keelhaul him if he replied
(so that is why Margaret won) then insisted he
Quote:
was an Englishman so would behave
himself.

A lot of emoticons representing dancing, cheering and overall enthusiasm that the WBTA was announced.

Pat (PFlamingo) is already planning her wardrobe:
Quote:
As for the clothes, don't even think about suggesting a dress or two and accessorizing. Margaret was my inspiration in 2011. I refuse to give up the clothes. I *will* find a way to take the purple ballgown for formal night, not to mention all the cute, sparkly things I can find between now and then.

Pages 4-8
Anyone thinking of catching a cruise from San Juan back to Florida was reminded that San Juan is a US territory so you cant go one way to Florida on a cruise.

And then the booking opened up at 8 am for platinum and it got quiet for about 15 minutes when the reports began rolling in of bookings and prices

Michelle (Squitty) gets the prize for first to report back that they were officially onboard the ship!!!

New vocabulary word I heard:
Dosh- money, cash? correct in main thread if that is a wrong guess

Quote:
There is no Morrisons in Tenerife. Ed will not be able to use his cart coin
- I sense another back story on this one

More excitement as everyone realizes the pricing for this cruise is what they were hoping for after waiting forever.

Sideways were being snagged quickly, Holly joked she was even willing to sleep in the engine room closet.

Birthdays
Sarah (TotallyAngelic) is a birthday girl on the cruise as well as her mum if she comes.

Janice (Yukongirl123)- Trevors birthday is Sept 6

People mentioned joining the FB group and that they could not keep up with all the posts. The link is on page 1.

Page 9-10
Silvers can now book!!!!

Online booking opened early =-I was just getting up (5-6am)- will remember next time to check early anyway.

Holly (ThePhantomsGirl) got a room so she will not be sleeping in the engine room closet!!!!

Found out Annie (JustAnnienotHazel) was also known as Miss Stingy pants, all because she wouldnt book concierge. That makes a lot of us that share that nickname with her.

About as soon as people booked, the discussion began on other details. It should be noted the thread started on 2-12-13 and at this point it is only 2-14-13, 10 pages and 150 posts already!!

Page 11-13
New vocabulary word I heard:
Cheeky- sassy in a humorous way, not the kid in trouble way

Discussions on transportation and a theme for this cruise

Kevin (NWDad) started making trouble- hes trying to unite the guys in the World Wide Man Club

Quote:
Ed was the one with the Malteasers obsession. Well, him and the ape in the gift shop.
Do share this back story in the main threads, this sounds hilarious along with the photo of the monkeys looking for Ed

Cabin rearranging began as many decided to switch rooms. Everyone make sure to update your info to Claire (Pinky 166) so that everything on page 1 gets updated.

Page 14-16
Rollcalls and greetings

Suggestion for the Weekly updates from last cruise being needed.

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: I still have the sticky keyboard
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
NWmom
DIS Veteran

(February 12-22) pages 1-65 continued

Claire (Pinky166)said:
Quote:
If you would like to arrange an event please post on here, to make it fair I think it should be on a first come first served basis and that we should only have one person/couple/family arranging one event so that hopefully everyone that wants to take control and have a hand in arranging something can. Is this ok with everyone?
Debra (DGentrySim) said :

Quote:
Claire.....I was wide awake til 1:00 pm just thinking about things to do, what fun we had had on the last one, how I had 2 summers to buy new clothes, etc. My mind was just rambling from one thing to another! I finally had to get up and take 1/2 a sleeping pill just to shut my brain up so I could sleep! lol
I think a lot of us had the same problem!!

A large discussion about Kirby The Bear ensued.

Page 17-18
People began volunteering for many things

Kevin (NWDad) was correctly identified as another cheeky boy.

Page 19-20
Post 274 on 2-15-13 read:
Quote:
I have added your thread to the cruise meet list

Have a great cruise!
We are official!!

Many discussed their love of scrapbooking. Almost all admitted to being behind on scrapping.

More gretting and roll calls. Organizing of events

Page 21-24
Airfare rates were discussed

Melodie (MagicMe) admits to stalking- in a good way. Seems she has had the same friend appear on many of her cruises. She said it much better in her post.

Pat (PFlamingo) outs her dh Dennis as a practical, scowling, party pooper, yet books the trip anyway!!!!! (I suspect he is a giant sweetheart on the inside or she wouldn't love him- they are still newleyweds after all)

Melodie (MagicMe) gets QUOTE OF THE DAY when she gives the best reason for taking a cruise:
Quote:
when (and I'm talking a long long long time down the road) when one of you is no longer around, the other person is not going to remember the stuff, they're going to remember the times together!!
As you said - life is short
Post 322 has links to the ports. Birkner (Noel) did this research.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=322

It poured rain in Barcelona on a previous trip. Bring your Mickey Ponchos.

Page 25.
We are officially a chatty group.

Karen (Custardtart) wants to invite other Thieves onboard- another backstory to be shared

Mandy (MandyGirl) said:
Quote:
I'm sure it will be sorted... many of us booked just 48-ish hours ago (and saw the itinerary for the first time less than 100 hours ago) so it is amazing how much has already been done by Claire (Pinky) and those who have chimed in to help organize.
Holly (ThePhantomsGirl) said:
Quote:
Thank you for the reminder for something I've been meaning to do - may I take the time to thank Claire for all her hard work!

I also want to take the time to thank all those who have stepped up to organize events, and all those who take time to give information that proves so useful to all of us. Thank you, it is so very much appreciated!

Pickpockets were discussed with a suggestion
Something to consider to avoid pickpockets AND those that have those readers that can pick up the RFID chips:

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-...9M4WD4X6&psc=1

Post 393 I agreed to do the Weekly summary of the disboards.

Post 429 details on Palo group brunch

Post 446 Scrapbooking Exchange details

More airfare discussion.

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: can't do it without fixing the typos, added names and color
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote of the Day

Quote:
What's cracking me up most (in a positive way) is that as a result of so many of us obsessive compulsive planners, we have activities being managed already!
Vocabulary Lesson:
Quote:
And speaking of adult beverages, let's have a review of terms:

RAB = refreshing adult beverage
FAB = frozen adult beverage

Examples of usage:

"It sure is hot, I think I'll have a FAB."
"What a day! I really need a RAB."

Now, everyone practice!
2-16-13 page 33 Whew, I'm to the halfway point for the week!!!

Another Quote of the Day

Quote:
Wow - between FB & Dis - we might need to coin a new word - I don't think "Chatty" begins to cover it. This reminds me of our 2008 EBPC - our thread was renewed 15 times before we sailed.
It's is going to be some kinda wonderful adventure -
A reminder:
Quote:
UPDATES TO FIRST PAGE....

Hi all, just to let you know that yesterday/this morning I have added quite a lot of information to the first 4 posts on the first page.

It contains all the information about what is being organised so far and how you can join in each activity. Please make sure you PM the organiser to join an event, as posting on the thread is easy to miss. Please note that if you have joined an activity your name(s) may not show up for a week as I will be getting weekly updates from each event organiser, so please do not chase them or me until after a week or so.
We still have lots of events that haven't got a volunteer so if you would like to do something please don't be shy! Even if you don't know how to do it someone will be able to help.

Some of the things I thought of that we could organise if there is any interest are:

* Candy exchange - basically the same principal as the Fish Extender but just candy from your area of the world.

* Book swap - where someone hangs a bag outside their cabin and that we can all put our read books in during the cruise and take another one to read, the books left at the end of the cruise get donated to Guest services for the crew.

* Lanyards - it is so nice to have a DIS personalised lanyard so we can instantly recognise other DISers. We will need an organiser and depending how we run it a cost per person or lots of $$'s in donations!

* Other drink tastings possiblities - Cognac/Mixology/Wine/

* Ship Pub Crawl

* Palo Group Dinner

* PJ Breakfast

* Until we meet again lunch? - Last sea day?

I am sure we will have some group shore excursions too as we get nearer the cruise.

Thank you.

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: haven't they figured out people make typos yet?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Men were wanting their version of Champagne Girls- reminder the men have the World Wide Man Club (WWMC) see details on page 1.

Babydiver is looking for a dive buddy

A lot of posts checking on previous cruisers and if anyone has heard from them about whether or not they are going

A reminder from Claire:
Quote:
PLEASE NOTE ~ To sign up to a DIS activity you must PM the organiser as per the info on the first page with all the information they need.

Posting in the thread may be missed as not everyone can keep up with such a fast moving group all of the time.

Skye - perhaps you could add a note to the top of the weekly newsletter/roundup each week to remind people to PM the organiser, also a note to say all the activity/event info is on the first page for any new cruisers. Thanks.
A discussion on the sign language interpreters and the differences between ASL and BSL.

Palo Brunch lists are filling fast.

Page 42 post 616
Ground Transportation from Airport and Day 1 Ground Tour
Flamenco Dance Show and Dinner

Dennis tripped and hurt his head. Pat wrote it so well, you just have to read it
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=617

Discussion of specifics of hotel to port and airport to port on page 42

Loved this summary from chukcster20uk, so it gets Quote of the Day
Quote:
Paul, here is a quick summary:-

Tastings, a few sightseeing tips, and a Men's Club Meet.

Just say yes and it will all ok!!
Take note- just agree to go and it will all work out.

Sarah said:
Quote:
Welcome aboard ..... and welcome to obsessive planners anonymous !
a discussion on fb revealed we really are

Birthdays and Anniversaries
Gramfrogs dh will have a major birthday on this cruise

Yogitxtx celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary a few months early

NWDad and NW Mom celebrating their 25th a few months late

Squitty 27th anniversary on the 19th

Question- Is the Hard Rock event a family event?
If not, can anyone suggest an alternative?

Schoolwork onboard
For those with children that will have schoolwork to complete while on board, several educators volunteered to assist in answering questions if needed:
MandyGirl, PFlamingo, NWMom,
I believe our standard charge is one FAB/RAB.

Earl of Sandwich was discussed. Salivating icon here.

The cruise director was discussed. Hopes for Brent. Some with crushes. names are being witheld.

More discussion about Kirby The Bear with a reminder about luring him to the secret verandah on Deck 7. Do not notify the CM if you see him bobbing by your porthole.

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
NWmom
DIS Veteran

2-19 post 801 Hotel information

New term: Disney blasphemy - used correctly below
Chris & Jeremy said
Quote:
We couldn't believe they were wasting Mickey Bars! Surely that's some form of Disney blasphemy.
Absolutely

Everyone began introducing themselves on page 55 Please read these to get to know everyone.

Dizneyholic said
Quote:
Gus is a total magic nerd and will perform on demand.
Looks like we are going to get to see some of his magic!!

New vocabulary word
Gobsmacked =?

Being a Disney addict was discussed by the two Susans.

Then the subject of chocolate tastings came up and our salivating glands went wild.
That led to discussion of the chocolate dessert buffet.
Seems love of Disney is not the only love we all share.

Donny Osmond discussion. a few crushes here as well no names, but he was not only nice, but sweet to some disers

Just a normal update --- post #429 (
Quote:
Palo Brunch)is being kept updated as changes occur and has all the full details (page 29) If wanting one of the few remaining slots please send me a PM (I'm not doing good keeping up with how fast the thread is moving)
Hotel Praktik Rampbla group- post 900 page 60 please reconfirm with Susan according to the post.

Page 61 post 901 Bus to the port information

A discussion of angry mike and pleasant mike made the time change more real. It is so much earlier in the morning there

Facebook vote to go from 27 ideas to 5 before the final vote for a cruise theme.

The following events still need someone to organize them:
WTBA Pins, Mixology Tasting, Chocolate Tasting, Candy Exchange, Book Swap

Last edited by NWmom; 02-23-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added color, must have color- or is that colour for our UK friends?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Stay tuned. Recap coming this weekend now that everyone is healthy again (3-22)

reserved for future recaps

Last edited by NWmom; 03-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Tags
2013 wbta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: