Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
erinchris01
Earning My Ears

New Here and Have some questions

I am going to Disneyworld with my family and will need to rent a scooter for my father. He had some medical issues with his leg this year and can't walk too much. I have been looking at scooter rental places. Is the portable scooter a good choice? My father is 215lbs and not driving a scooter before. We will have our own vans, but may use disney transportaton some. Are their rain covers like strollers have in case of rain? Is their insurance for the scooter when we rent it. I saw Beuna vista has rental insurance, but I can't find how much it is. Any tips would be great.

THanks
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Use a poncho as a rain cover for the scooter. With the weight of your father a portable scooter will work fine, especially if using own transportation. Have your father drive the scooters in the stores like Walmart or Target before going so he has a feel for how they will work. If he handles them just fine, then the one that you rent will be a breeze to use, but I would allow him time to get comfortable with the one at the resort before heading to the parks. Have him back it up, practice parallel parking and making tight turns.

Also if you look at the start of this forum there is a sticky there that has all sorts of FAQ's that would be good for you to read.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

If you have not been to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, check out post 2 in that thread. You can find it near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Post 2 has links and phone numbers for the companies that DIS posters recommend most often.

A portable scooter gives you more options - you can choose to use WDW transportation or to break the scooter down into pieces and load it into your van. Many of the websites have instructions or videos on how to do that.

At his weight he doesn't need a heavy duty scooter.
Most people pick up driving one relatively quickly, especially if they are used to driving a car. If he is concerned, he could try driving one at a story - Target, Walmart and most grocery stores have them.if he can drive one of hose, he will have little problem driving one at WDW.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: