Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Booking while on board suggestions

Our first Disney Cruise is just under 11 months away and I already know i'm going to take advantage of the on board discounts and book another cruise.

Wondering what/where to book and how far out we can book? I'm thinking I'll book a graduation cruise for DD in 2015. I know sounds like it's forever away but in all reality, its not especially when you're a freak planner like I am.

How much info will be out for 2015 by next January? Is it safe to look at June 2014 assuming the itineraries and prices will be similar for 2015?

No Alaska. We'd want more tropical. Any suggestions? They'll be 5 of us.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You can book as far out as is released at the time. I think many are hoping there will be different itineraries in 2015, but the basic 3/4 & 7 nights out of PC are the ones you can count on. They might release the Dream/Fantasy through June or so in 2015 by late 2013 based on past history -- but DCL does like to make us wait.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You can book as far out as is released at the time. I think many are hoping there will be different itineraries in 2015, but the basic 3/4 & 7 nights out of PC are the ones you can count on. They might release the Dream/Fantasy through June or so in 2015 by late 2013 based on past history -- but DCL does like to make us wait.

Thank you. I am noticing they like to keep people waiting, why is that? Is that typical for other cruise lines?

I'll look into those cruises out of Port Canaveral. We're leaving from Miami on our first cruise. It's so much cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale than Miami or Orlando so I hope they continue cruises out of Miami. For PC do you fly into Orlando?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

If the date you want has not been released yet you can book a short cruise during off season as a place holder. This will keep your deposit amount low while locking in the on board booking perks. When your date is released you can transfer your booking to the new date and keep all perks, including the 10% deposit (non-on board bookings require 20%). We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
castaway cajun
Earning My Ears

I've got a question about booking a "dummy cruise" too... We are sailing this May on the Wonder and I plan on booking a future cruise to Alaska (not sure when we will actually be able to go). I want to have a stateroom with a veranda, but should I book an inside stateroom to keep the deposit amount low and then change my category when I transfer my ressie to my "real" cruise? Will my OBC increase too when I book a more expensive room?
castaway cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway cajun View Post
I've got a question about booking a "dummy cruise" too... We are sailing this May on the Wonder and I plan on booking a future cruise to Alaska (not sure when we will actually be able to go). I want to have a stateroom with a veranda, but should I book an inside stateroom to keep the deposit amount low and then change my category when I transfer my ressie to my "real" cruise? Will my OBC increase too when I book a more expensive room?
If your sail date is not yet available that is what I would do. We usually book a 3-day cruise even if we know we will end up on a 7-day. Just be prepared to pay the additional deposit amount when you switch to the sailing/stateroom level you want. If your sail date is already available it is best to just book the date and stateroom level you want to lock in the price.

As for the OBC amount, it is tied to the length of your sailing, not the price. Three and four day cruises get $100 OBC per stateroom. Seven day and longer cruises get $200 per stateroom.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway cajun View Post

I don't know that specifically. However, we booked a verandah room onboard last October for an Alaska cruise and when the 2014 Alaska dates opened up our travel agent immediatly re-booked us for the date we requested. We got a KILLER great room and had to pay $124 to keep the deposit current.

I'm so excited now to go! Hope your plans work out
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.
Do you have to book initially with the number of people going? If someone is not on the initial booking do they not get the 10% off if they are added later?

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV, 11/15 - Magic Bahamas Cruise

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2007: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
If the date you want has not been released yet you can book a short cruise during off season as a place holder. This will keep your deposit amount low while locking in the on board booking perks. When your date is released you can transfer your booking to the new date and keep all perks, including the 10% deposit (non-on board bookings require 20%). We usually book a January 3-day in an inside cabin when we need a place holder date and our deposit is between $90 and $150, depending on the number of passengers in the cabin.

Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll go for the cheapest stateroom and then change once dates are released. My only concern is holding up a stateroom from someone who actually plans on taking my dummy cruise.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll go for the cheapest stateroom and then change once dates are released. My only concern is holding up a stateroom from someone who actually plans on taking my dummy cruise.
Make sure you tell the on board agent you want to make a place holder booking and they know what to do. You will not be assigned a cabin that way, so no taking a cabin from someone that may want it down the line.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
MPS516
Disney #2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtony777 View Post
Do you have to book initially with the number of people going? If someone is not on the initial booking do they not get the 10% off if they are added later?
Booking extra people later is at the current price without the discount. We always book 4 and then drop to a lower number if all 4 are not going.
GOLF: Palm, Magnolia, Lake Buena Vista, Oak Trail

MPS516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
hoff41
We love us some cruisin'

That's not what I have been told. I have been told as long as they are in the same cabin its the same rate and 10% as the original rezzie
July 2013 WDW - Marriott's Harbour Lake: DD First Trip to WDW
Jan 2016 Disney Fantasy - Western Caribbean: 2nd DD First Cruise
hoff41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
BK2014
Earning My Ears

I have just signed me and my wife up for our first cruise. It is not until 2014, but I want to make sure I understand the on-board booking discount.

As I understand it, if we book a new reservation on board, we get a 10% discount on the cruise fare, and only have to pay a 10% deposit?

I am sure this question has been answered before, but I haven't found it: If we do as suggested, and book a short dummy reservation for a 3/4 night cruise, and then later change it to a 7 night cruise that we actually want, we will still get the 10% off the entire 7 night cruise fare?

Is rescheduling a dummy cruise something that needs to be done by a travel agent, or can I do it myself?

Thanks!
BK2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Make sure you tell the on board agent you want to make a place holder booking and they know what to do. You will not be assigned a cabin that way, so no taking a cabin from someone that may want it down the line.

Perfect, thank you. Will I need to book a cabin that fits five (as ultimately they'll be 5 of us) or can I book a smaller one (read cheaper) that fits less people?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

When I booked my "Dummy Cruise" I booked a 3 day cruise out of PC, cheapest room they had as far out as they could go for one person. Then when I found the cruise I wanted I changed it to a 7 day cruise out of Galveston, Deluxe inside room for two people. All the OBC were based on the changed cruise but the original deposit was based on the 3 day cruise.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: