DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
fortunatofun
Earning My Ears

Grand Floridian walkway

Just a note that I can't get past. The Grand Floridian is the last stop of a crowded monorail at the end of the day at MK. With the only other option being a boat ride with a long line as well(and can only get more crowded with the new dvc coming), I cant help but notice an obvious solution. There is a walkway finished between MK and the GF except the river that crosses it. Maybe its just me but a bridge or tunnel here would be a nice option to walk home at the end of a day filled with lines. Anyone else think of this one or is it just me?
fortunatofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you can wish - but if it did not happen for the GF - it is not going to happen for the GFV.

the steam is where the stuff for the EWP is stored - and as long as that thing happens - you can forget your bridge.

the monorail itself is sitting where the bridge would need to be.

if you want to walk to the MK - just stay at BLT

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
melindaPR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatofun
Just a note that I can't get past. The Grand Floridian is the last stop of a crowded monorail at the end of the day at MK. With the only other option being a boat ride with a long line as well(and can only get more crowded with the new dvc coming), I cant help but notice an obvious solution. There is a walkway finished between MK and the GF except the river that crosses it. Maybe its just me but a bridge or tunnel here would be a nice option to walk home at the end of a day filled with lines. Anyone else think of this one or is it just me?
I'm do with you! My husband and I call it the Walk to Nowhere, and it's a tradition on our trips to walk down that path. The GF would be even more attractive and really feel like the flagship if it had that direct access. I realize the EWP boats are stored there, but a solution still seems doable--clearly not a priority for Disney, but it's too bad.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaPR View Post
I'm do with you! My husband and I call it the Walk to Nowhere, and it's a tradition on our trips to walk down that path. The GF would be even more attractive and really feel like the flagship if it had that direct access. I realize the EWP boats are stored there, but a solution still seems doable--clearly not a priority for Disney, but it's too bad.
Anything is doable but from Disney's perspective the benefit isn't worth the cost. How many guests would walk to the MK from the GF?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

bill,
I would!
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
poggs
Mouseketeer

Disney would have to make the bridge really high to allow the boats out. This would require either lots of switchback ramps for wheelchairs etc or elevators to comply with disabilities acts.

Both options would be prohibitively expensive for a company that only spends money if it can see a return on investment. THere is absolutely no prospect of anything other that a long term expense on maintenance for a bridge, with nothing to show for it, other that for a few patrons who wold want to walk.

Nice idea sure, but not gonna happen any time soon.
poggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Disney could install a drawbridge like the one used in Epcot for the barges needed for Illuminations.

However, I remember reading something, somewhere, that the reason the path to the Grand wasn't finished had to do with low ground water in the area and the path consistently sinking.

I agree, it would be lovely to be able to walk to MK from the Grand and that the monorail system and boat systems are going to be even more overwhelmed once that DVC resort is up and running.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatofun
Just a note that I can't get past. The Grand Floridian is the last stop of a crowded monorail at the end of the day at MK.
We stayed at the contemporary last week and hopped on the monorail for a quick trip home every night. While it was busy in the parks it was not what I would considered "crowded" at all on the monorail. it was a walk in the park compared to the lines for ttc. I also liked that it took us closer to our room in the south wing as it would go for the villas.
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
Disney could install a drawbridge like the one used in Epcot for the barges needed for Illuminations.

However, I remember reading something, somewhere, that the reason the path to the Grand wasn't finished had to do with low ground water in the area and the path consistently sinking.

I agree, it would be lovely to be able to walk to MK from the Grand and that the monorail system and boat systems are going to be even more overwhelmed once that DVC resort is up and running.
Except when that drawbridge opens up, there are many CMs around making sure guests don't try to do anything stupid. There aren't any CMs around the end of the path on either side to stand there and keep stupid guests from doing stupid things.

Kind of like the stupid driver who decides they can beat the train across the tracks when the train gate is down at the crossing.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
anett
Mouseketeer

Walkway to nowhere

We own at BLT and love the fact we can walk to BLT.... it's a wonder why GF doesn't complete that walkway. For years we have hoped that the walkway to GF would be complete. As a wedding present to my Dh (16 years ago) I purchased a disney brick and as luck would have it, it's at the very far end of the walkway over 1/2 to the GF. Our children 11 & 6 always ask why disney never finish the walkway.... It's such a shame that they did such a poor job at planning, which is usually never the case.
anett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Kind of like the stupid driver who decides they can beat the train across the tracks when the train gate is down at the crossing.
or guest who MUST take pictures - and don't seem to realize that the bridge wants to move....

if you want walking to MK then stay at BLT and just forget about GFV.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: