Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

Eating at Victoria & Albert's is always the highlight of my vacation and I recover the cost of the TiW card with one meal. Plus, it is accepted at non-DDP places like bluezoo and Il Mulino (two of my favorites). I typically go to WDW about three times per year, so the card saves me many hundreds of dollars.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

For the complete list of locations and the rules, go to www.tablesinwonderland.com which is the Official Disney site.

Based on the new pricing, the following is the break-even point for menu pricing (assuming you will routinely give an 18% tip:
AP Holder or DVC Member ($100) is $469.48
Resident (not AP holder) ($125) is $586.85
Both of the above take into consideration that the Sales Tax is also discounted.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

I've done several trips with the DxDP and over the past couple years have switched over to the TiW. It just makes more sense for me since I go more than once within a year and I prefer to order a couple appetizers instead of an entree. I don't always want a dessert so TiW just works better for me.
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imLissy View Post
Plus, my dad kept calling it The Wonderful Magical Tables Thing, which made it worth it on its own

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

If you plan on enjoying Character Meals and/or more than one Signature meal a day, DxDP can be a good savings.

If you don't want the trouble of calculating your meal & snack credits and/or you enjoy an extra glass of alcohol, TiW is a seemingly preferable option.

Both can offer saving for different reasons.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #21
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
The "break even" point for the TiW card if you're paying $125 for the card (AP Holders get it for $100) is $586.85. This is assuming you would be giving the server an 18% tip.

thank you. i have just been brain dead trying to figure out the break even point. but yes we're ap holders and go back several times a year usually 3 day weekend kind of things but one big trip a year as well. historically i tip at 20% but if they decide on 18 and nothing is super above board then 18 it is.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #22
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilQueenT View Post
thank you. i have just been brain dead trying to figure out the break even point. but yes we're ap holders and go back several times a year usually 3 day weekend kind of things but one big trip a year as well. historically i tip at 20% but if they decide on 18 and nothing is super above board then 18 it is.
We are AP and TiW holders and only given 18% tip when using the card. There have been a few instances where we have given extra. We do this when we feel the server has been especially attentive or really gone out of their way to help us.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

TIW works great for us because we like sit down restaurants and usually order cocktails or wine. In addition, I like to sample apps and almost never order a dessert. So it's perfect for our "method" of dining. All depends on how you like to eat really.
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

We've done DXDP for three years, now switching

With the rise in the price of the DXDP, plus DD10 wanting kid's meals but being charged adult prices, we decided this would no longer provide a savings for us. We had booked the bounceback free dining for Aug, so we are getting the reg DP at a discount. We will also get the TIW on arrival, and use that for CS breakfasts at the resort, 4 additional TS lunches, and OOP kid's meals for DD (or HDD and 1 TS). That should almost get us the breakeven point in the cost of the card, plus we'll hopefully be able to use it on next year's trip. With the rumors about no free dining at the value's, it will be nice to have this to use next year. I figure we'll save almost 1,000 over what the upgrade cost would've been from DP to DXDP. Really stinks though, cause upgrading to DX used to be a no-brainer for us. We will miss that carefree feeling of just ordering whatever we want, including appetizers, cause we don't order that way at home. I think I may just buy a Disney or Amex gift card for the sole purpose of dining, so it feels just as easy as using your KTTW card...actually easier because the tip will be included in the TIW total. Just a little less magical for grandma, who will now not get a huge box of fudge from our leftover snack credits
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
We are AP and TiW holders and only given 18% tip when using the card. There have been a few instances where we have given extra. We do this when we feel the server has been especially attentive or really gone out of their way to help us.
When my infant/young toddler left more than her fair share of mess, I always made sure to throw in an extra $5 or $10. Then again, both my wife & I have worked for tips in our youth.

More often than not, we find the service we receive at Disney to be more than accommodating our need to either get out fast or slow-walk a meal.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
Tigger1021
Earning My Ears

Thanks for everyone's input. I really love the fact that I am not the only one in this predicament. DW and I have made many trips in the 11 years we have been together and have always used the DDP. Even traveling with our son who will be making his 4th trip at the age of 5 has used the DDP with us. As DVC members, the TIW card will cost $100, so seeing that my "break even point" is ~$475, and the basic DDP for 3 of us for a week is over $900 almost makes this a no-brainer. My current plan is to preload a gift card with the money we are planning on spending for dining so that will alleviate the large credit card bill coming in after the trip. Also, I like the fact that since my parents and sister will be traveling with us, they will also be able to use the TIW discount when dining with us. Now I just have to countdown to April 3 so I can book our room

We have hit most of the character dining experiences on our last few trips. Is there anywhere that anyone recommends as a "can't miss"?
Tigger1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #27
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1021 View Post

We have hit most of the character dining experiences on our last few trips. Is there anywhere that anyone recommends as a "can't miss"?
Tusker House is a must do for us for breakfast! It has a great selection, for the picky eaters, the more adventurous eaters and everyone in the middle

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

We have always been on the DDP but with the cost going up I just can't justify it anymore. I have a picky eater on my hands so quick service doesn't cut it with my DH. He's not a food snob by any means he just hates burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches. He wants to sit down and get real food not something mass produced. So on vacation he wants breakfast, and of course dinner, lunch is optional. So not having lunch everyday would give us extra credits for signature meals. That being said the other dinning plans are not an option. So I'm stuck with DDP, OOP, or OOP with TIW. I think this trip I'll go with TIW. The amount of credits on DDP is what I want but to come out ahead like others have said we each have to get an appy, entree', and dessert, too much. I'm done with it.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1021
Hey all,

We are planning a trip to WDW for November and are weighing DDP vs TIW. In the past, we have always used the DDP, but our last trip, we debated back and forth whether it was worth the cost. The more I look at things, the more I feel like the TIW card is the way to go. Figuring the cost of the DDP for 7 nights for 2 adults and 1 child was coming out around $900, and I just can't help but think that we would be spending far less on the TIW plan... Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts!
Tiw -no question. The dining plan doesn't make sense for anyone..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #30
Dziactor
Mouseketeer

We stick with TiW due to the flexibility like many have said. I also find myself eating less since I don't have to get everything.

Dziactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: