Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Disneymomoftwinz
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Failed to book a future cruise

We recently took a 3 day cruise on the Dream. DH and I were very reluctant to cruise but agreed since the kids really wanted to go. I couldnt ever imagine NOT spending my vacation at WDW. Anyway, we took the cruise, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! We ran from sun up to sun down, seen every show, went to every dinner, did activities at each port, you name it! Spent the next 5 days at WDW but wished we were back on the Dream.

So, here is the problem (not sure how we would have known or where we failed to pay attention). We were not aware of the discount when you book a future cruise. Maybe we were going so fast that we just never caught wind of booking a future cruise. I see everyone now posting about "dummy" cruises. I would have not only booked a future cruise but it would have been an actual/valid cruise date. Is there no recourse for getting booked on a future cruise and still getting some of those discounts or onboard credit (not even sure what was offered).

Any suggestions are welcome!
Wishing we had slowed down long enough to learn about future cruises
Disneymomoftwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

Well, you could book another cruise on a *gt rate, which are discounted so you, couldn't have used the 10% and the *gt rate anyway, and then when you are on that cruise, book a discount cruise.

Or, if you have military or Florida eligibility, use those discounts; you can only pick one discount.

Or just book a short getaway cruise at full price for yourself, then book another cruise for the family while on board.

The *gt rates usually come out after the PIF dates, so you'll have to be flexible.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

Disney will send you a mailing with a 10% off offer code for a future cruise. You have to book within 60 days of disembarkment. I don't think you get any onboard credits, but 10% is still nice!
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
Disney will send you a mailing with a 10% off offer code for a future cruise. You have to book within 60 days of disembarkment. I don't think you get any onboard credits, but 10% is still nice!
I've recently cruised twice and didn't get this.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

I have heard of people receiving a "welcome back aboard" deal if they didn't book onboard. No idea what determines to whom DCL sends these out. My understanding is that they offer the same discount and OBC that booking onboard offers. But I don't think you can do a dummy or move your reservation and keep the perks. Not positive.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
Disney will send you a mailing with a 10% off offer code for a future cruise.
This is done completely randomly -- similar to the WDW pin codes.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Same thing happened to us last year. We could've KICKED ourselves! Within two weeks, we had booked another sailing, without a discount. Then about a week or two later we got the 10% off discount card. No on board credit, but 10% nonetheless. Our TA was able to call them and have the 10% applied to our future booking! Since the booking was over 18 months away, if they didn't do this, I simply would've cancelled and rebooked with the 10%, but I didn't even have to do that.

Can't wait to finally cruise again in December! And that time I will NOT forget to book onboard!!!

Good luck! Look out for your mailbox, hopefully!!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

We requested a quote while onboard in 2011, but didn't know we could move the date, so we didn't book. When we received our Castaway Club cards, a 10% offer was attached to it. No OBC or reduced deposit, but we did book that time. I wonder if it has anything to do with requesting a quote but not booking?
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Disneymomoftwinz
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas! I have been smacking myself for the last week and I knew the DIS boards would come through with good advise.

Glad to hear that we are not the only ones who have committed this error! Also glad to hear there might be some small hope of getting another offer. If its anything like the PIN offers from WDW, we have vacationed there probably 20 times in the last 20 years and we have NEVER received one of these

Still sort of in shock that we enjoyed the cruise just as much/if not more than the world...maybe its just something new??? Or maybe a new addiction???
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomoftwinz
Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas! I have been smacking myself for the last week and I knew the DIS boards would come through with good advise.

Glad to hear that we are not the only ones who have committed this error! Also glad to hear there might be some small hope of getting another offer. If its anything like the PIN offers from WDW, we have vacationed there probably 20 times in the last 20 years and we have NEVER received one of these

Still sort of in shock that we enjoyed the cruise just as much/if not more than the world...maybe its just something new??? Or maybe a new addiction???
We were the same way...LOVE WDW, but loved DCL even more. Definitely a new addiction.

If all else fails, read the thread about buying Disney gift cards from Target at a discount. You can save almost 10% on them and pay for your cruise that way
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Disneymomoftwinz
Earning My Ears

Wow, had no idea, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

After our first cruise, we felt the same way as you. Then my Father in-law and my Sister in-law both received the 10 percent off in the mail and we did not. In my opinion I think they got one because they all spent big bucks onboard (spa, drinks, excursions) while we only had tips and maybe less than $50 in other charges. Best of luck, I would just wait for a GT rate anyways, bigger discount if you are flexible!

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Disneymomoftwinz
Earning My Ears

Well maybe I have that in my favor, there were 4 of us that did the dolphin swim and that got charged to our room. Not a cheap venture but a "must do" at least once in life
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway April View Post
After our first cruise, we felt the same way as you. Then my Father in-law and my Sister in-law both received the 10 percent off in the mail and we did not. In my opinion I think they got one because they all spent big bucks onboard (spa, drinks, excursions) while we only had tips and maybe less than $50 in other charges. Best of luck, I would just wait for a GT rate anyways, bigger discount if you are flexible!
We spent over $2000 and did not get a mailer for 10% off. So I don't think that is it. Luck of the Disney Draw.......
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomoftwinz
Wow, had no idea, thanks for the suggestion.
Sure! I just found out recently and have saved about $215 myself!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: