Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Cruising with refrigerated meds and needles?

Hi all!

because of my osteoporosis, I self inject Forteo daily. basically the medication needs to be refrigerated. Anyone have experience cruising with this? or insulin? how did you safely dispose of the needles?

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Contact DCL and they will set you up with the items needed to handle your meds and sharps.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

We travel with a medication that has to be refrigerated. My DH's rheumatologist recommended a trial run, I am glad we did this.

We have a food thermometer that has a remote probe. We used a insulated lunch bag and a small (5in x 5in) freezable gel pack. Placed the gel pack inside with the probe and monitored the temp. I learned that we needed 2 gel packs to keep the med at the right temp. I found I needed to make sure the gel packs were not in direct contact with the med. I packed extra ziplock bags if we need to supplement with ice, if we were delayed. We also pack a small fridge magnet with us to use in the room fridge.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

If you are on the new ships, they have real fridges that will keep meds cool. If you are going on one of the Classics, you will need to contact DCL and they can provide a real fridge. It is HUGE and can be a pain taking up space, easiest to stick it under the desk.

They will provide a sharps container if you let them know.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

A family member had to do this with Forteo a couple of years ago. They were given an insulated bag with gel packs to transport the medication. If you freeze the gel packs, they will last more than 24 hours. The medication and gel packs were declared at airport security and hand searched. DCL was notified prior to the cruise that a refrigerator was needed. We went to guest services upon embarkation and they contacted housekeeping. Our room attendant was notified when we got to the room and she brought a refrigerator shortly after that which was put under the vanity area. She took out the stool from the vanity as we did not have room for it in the stateroom. It worked out great. Hope all goes well for you!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
bucky1023
DIS Veteran

We sailed on Dream in August and we had a small fridge in our room. I don't know about the older ships.

You can contact DCL before you sail and let them know your needs as others said and they will be able to give you a sharps container for your room.

bucky1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1023 View Post
We sailed on Dream in August and we had a small fridge in our room. I don't know about the older ships.

You can contact DCL before you sail and let them know your needs as others said and they will be able to give you a sharps container for your room.
The Dream & Fantasy have real fridges in the rooms.

The Magic & Wonder have "cooling boxes". A few are really cold, most are just cool, and some are neither.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Thanks everyone!

will check with DCL regarding fridges for our Wonder cruise.

wadiwo

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

There's also a Special Services Information form you fill out in advance and return that requests the sharps container and other necessary equipment. I believe you'll find it when you're in your reservation to check-in. We did that and I had the shars container waiting in my cabin when we arrived. I did not need to keep my meds refrigerated, but I did keep everything locked in my safe for peace of mind.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: