Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Daughter in a wheelchair. What extra steps do I need to take?

My daughter recently fell down a flight of stairs at work and broke both of her feet and one of her ankles. She has gone through a couple of surgeries and another one scheduled in March. She is currently depending on a wheelchair to get around with a air cast on one leg and a water cast on the other foot. After much therapy, she is expecting to be up and walking with the help of her air cast boot on only one of her legs when we are on our trip at Disneyland.(a trip she won and can't change the date )
We are thinking that since there will be so much walking and she will be new to her adjusted walking situation (the leg boot), that we may want to bring her wheelchair to help her get through the parks comfortably while we are there (at least part of the day). She should be able to transfer and hopefully she will be more mobile than she is now.
Are all of the rides wheelchair accessable thru the lines? Or will we need to park the wheelchair outside the ride and have her walk through the lines?
Are there any special accomodations that we need to make that anyone can think of?

Thank you Disboard friends
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

All should be accessible. Sometimes you have to walk a short distance but it is very short. Generally, you enter through the exits to skip the line.

If she wants to walk, you might want to discourage her from doing too much. My wife broke her 5th metatarsal 2 weeks before a trip. She was in a walking shoe/boot. She walked the first day and was very uncomfortable the next day to the point of renting a wheel chair the next day and not walking the rest of the trip.
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick in Oregon View Post
All should be accessible. Sometimes you have to walk a short distance but it is very short. Generally, you enter through the exits to skip the line.

If she wants to walk, you might want to discourage her from doing too much. My wife broke her 5th metatarsal 2 weeks before a trip. She was in a walking shoe/boot. She walked the first day and was very uncomfortable the next day to the point of renting a wheel chair the next day and not walking the rest of the trip.
Thank you so much! Great advice and Lord knows we do not want this to drag on any longer than it already has.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
starshine514
DIS Veteran

You shouldn't need any accommodations, other than using the wheelchair accessible line. She won't be able to do the treehouse and will need to do the alternate experience for the castle walkthrough and Nemo. Many of the older ride queues are not WC accessible, so she'll need to use an alternate entrance (usually the exit). All of the DCA queues are WC accessible, so she'll just use the regular entrance.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

Oh PLEASE get that girl a chair! Trust me.

I had to do our last trip in one cuz my back hates me..and while I thought it'd be a total hindrance it wasn't AT ALL. Saved my life!

I was just gonna say what's been said. Fantasyland is probably the least 'accessible' but you just go to the exits They are super sweet about it and assist the person in the chair as much as possible! I didn't need help getting into the rides, but they would have assisted me had I needed some. I was offered hands a LOT. Very kind

And yep, DCA is totally accessible. You get to wait in line over there which is totally great!

I hope you guys have a great time!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree with Patrick. We went to WDW a couple of years ago and DD was 3 months post ankle surgery. She walked everywhere the 1st day and was in a lot of pain by the end of the day. We rented a wheelchair for her for the remainder of the week. Although is was a hassle, it was essential.

Just a side note, make sure she puts sun screen on her thighs if she is wearing shorts!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
profa
Mouseketeer

Your poor DD. That sounds just awful. My dd4 will also be in one. But I am thinking of getting a stroller to use because the wheelchair handles are so low and a bit of a pain to push for too long. She broke her leg skiing.
Yesterday I googled DL in wheelchair and I found a pdf that explains where you enter for each ride. CA all accessible but in DL there are some you enter through the exit and it tells you on this.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

The longest walk I remember is for Haunted Mansion. You wheel up to where the horse carriage is outside, then you walk from there, through the stretching room, down the hall and onto the doom buggy.
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

Get a GAC at the front as soon as you walk in. We learned the hard way you have to have one to get everybody on the ride in your family at the same time when we were denied getting on Nemo together. The good thing about that, too, is that they will slow the ride down or even stop it all together so you can get on a ride. I had had gall bladder surgery a week before and couldn't do anything fast, so they would either stop it or slow it so I could get on!
lovebug33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

We visited in November and January with my paralyzed daughter. We did not need a GAC. The wheelchair served as that. In Disneyland you almost always go to the exit. Each ride's entrance sign will have a wheelchair symbol with an arrow showing you where to go. As stated before CA is wheelchair accessible thru the regular lines. I have nothing but good things to say about the way DL & CA handle wheelchair occupants.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
KerBear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick in Oregon
The longest walk I remember is for Haunted Mansion. You wheel up to where the horse carriage is outside, then you walk from there, through the stretching room, down the hall and onto the doom buggy.
You don't have to walk in, and I wouldn't recommend it, its dark in there and you tend to get bumped a lot, not something you notice until your balance is compromised. If you tell them you need the wheelchair you can take it through the walk through portion and then ride the elevator back up after the ride.
KerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerBear View Post
You don't have to walk in, and I wouldn't recommend it, its dark in there and you tend to get bumped a lot, not something you notice until your balance is compromised. If you tell them you need the wheelchair you can take it through the walk through portion and then ride the elevator back up after the ride.
Be prepared to wait a long time if you do take the chair in, however. they have rules about how many chairs can be in the mansion at once. If there are others already inside, you could be in for a wait.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
Be prepared to wait a long time if you do take the chair in, however. they have rules about how many chairs can be in the mansion at once. If there are others already inside, you could be in for a wait.
Same with Splash. We had to wait for over an hour in the wheelchair line when the regular line was about 30 min. *sigh*
Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmersIsTheMommy View Post
Same with Splash. We had to wait for over an hour in the wheelchair line when the regular line was about 30 min. *sigh*
Yup, BTDT. Even without another WC family on the ride, the CMs on Splash like to make you wait... The big difference with HM is that if you choose to go through the H/A area, but leave your chair and walk in, the wait is shorter. If you are unable to walk in/stand in the stretching room/navigate safely around in the dark (and consequently need to take your chair all the way in), you'll be in for a much longer wait. So, I just wanted the OP to know that if her daughter can leave her chair (still going through the H/A line - don't attempt to navigate the entire queue while walking) and walk through comfortably, it will likely be a quicker choice than taking the chair all the way in.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not true. They will ask you if you can walk the hallway, tell them no. They will then have you take the wheelchair all the way to the doombuggies. It is a different load and unload procedure.

It does take a little longer, but so worth it because she will get knocked around walking.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: