Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
oh goodness, we've been there during June and it's been skin melting 90 with oppressive humidity. Don't even think it won't be as hot as it could get. It could be.
It really is oppressive. Something's are an attempt to try and be cool, but in the summer being over come by heat if your sensitive is going to happen. The red face, panting come from just the hike up to security. It is better when the sun goes down. Those are some of the longest hours of daylight in June.

I have one kiddo who as soon as we got to Universal during a late Sept heat wave had heat exhaustion. They sat in the first aid, had Gatoraid , ice pack, wet clothes, spray bottles, with the help of the air conditioner the temp came down.
We bought a had a hat, spray bottle and were given Gatorade. It is a really bad time for asthmatics too.

Could you consider a Christmas time holiday trip so you really can enjoy the parks?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie

It really is oppressive. Something's are an attempt to try and be cool, but in the summer being over come by heat if your sensitive is going to happen. The red face, panting come from just the hike up to security. It is better when the sun goes down. Those are some of the longest hours of daylight in June.

I have one kiddo who as soon as we got to Universal during a late Sept heat wave had heat exhaustion. They sat in the first aid, had Gatoraid , ice pack, wet clothes, spray bottles, with the help of the air conditioner the temp came down.
We bought a had a hat, spray bottle and were given Gatorade. It is a really bad time for asthmatics too.

Could you consider a Christmas time holiday trip so you really can enjoy the parks?
I've been to the parks before so it doesn't bother me to not see everything. And unfortunately these days are set in stone for us so I just have to figure out a way to make it work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

If you are not comfortable confiding your health issues with your friends, at least get you BFF on board. Maybe work our some type of signal where you can let him know you need to get out of the heat. You can just tell the other couple to go ahead and you will catch up to them later. All the cooling ideas are great in addition to alternating rides with indoor shows. Even shows you may not really care about will get you a little break from the heat. Maybe plan sit downs for lunch rather than dinner so you will have another break? If you are at Epcot or MK, a nice long ride on the monorail is a cool way to get a break?
Have you gone in June before?
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA
If you are not comfortable confiding your health issues with your friends, at least get you BFF on board. Maybe work our some type of signal where you can let him know you need to get out of the heat. You can just tell the other couple to go ahead and you will catch up to them later. All the cooling ideas are great in addition to alternating rides with indoor shows. Even shows you may not really care about will get you a little break from the heat. Maybe plan sit downs for lunch rather than dinner so you will have another break? If you are at Epcot or MK, a nice long ride on the monorail is a cool way to get a break?
Have you gone in June before?
We went last June before and after our cruise on the Fantasy, but it was overcast and raining every day that we went to the parks so it was not hot at all.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

we were there in June of 11 and it was hot and humid all 6 days with storms each day. would not count on overcast and rainy.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Buy a Frog Togg towel. You will be in heaven. Its a towel that you wet and it stays cold for up to 4 hours and all you have to do is rewet it and it becomes cold again. I carry mine in a gallon size zip lock bag.

you can get them at Walmar in the camping section or at Bed Bath Beyond.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/cool...hilly-pad.html

At night hang it up to dry otherwise it will get musty. It will dry hard a board but just wet it and it will soften up.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I will second the vote for the Frogg Togg. Awesome, WalMart on Vineland was selling when we were just there. Long air conditioned rides are your friend, like Ellen.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
T. Baker
Earning My Ears

My husband had a severe reaction to the heat when we went in July one year. Unknown to him, a new medication he was taking did not react well when exposed to heat and it was 102 while we were there.

Disney did an awesome job taking care of him. He went down to the ground at Lights, Motors, Action in DHS. EMS arrived quickly and took him to first aid. At first aid, he rested, had cold water, etc. After about an hour, he was able to leave the park. Someone was sent to the back of First Aid building to pick us up in a van and drive us to our car. That day, we left for the rest of the day he was so bad.

Well - the next day we thought we were prepared. Had neck coolers, lots of ice water, etc. We were in Epcot at the American Pavilion when he once again felt faint. A CM took him immediately into a private room inside the American Pavilion that had a sofa and was air conditioned. He stayed there about an hour. EMS came and did an assessment. They felt he just needed to cool down. We were not staying on property that year, but they made arrangements for him to to go the Swan where they gave us a room for him to have a shower to cool down and to rest until he felt better.

The rest of the family stayed in Epcot. This happened about 2:30pm and we were able to return to the park about 6pm. Met the family for dinner in the UK. We sat there and ate and watched the fireworks.

Everyone at Disney was very helpful and went out of their way to assist us.

We called his Dr. the next morning and found out the new medicine could be the cause. He stopped taking it and while we were very hot, we finished the vacation without another incident. Of course, we went to the parks early and left after lunch to be sure he would be ok.

We truly felt cared for and then some!!

Please be careful. All the black asphalt and the heat make the summer a brutal time. You need to schedule lots of breaks.
T. Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
Besides keeping hydrated and afternoon breaks what else can I do to keep cool and energetic without it being obvious that I am struggling?
Exercise and eat healthy between now and June.
Plan specific times that are just for you and your boyfriend, at your pace.
Just be honest that you are sensitive to the heat and have to go slower.
Get ice waters at every opportunity. Or ice cream.
Just say no to the hot outdoor shows or save them for the evening.
Take extra caution at Animal Kingdom because it is the hottest of all the parks.
Never be the fast pass runner.
Avoid all outdoor character meets.
Book table service lunches for the heat of the day, and never dinners, so you can take advantage of the cooler evening.
Avoid sitting in the hot sun for a parade.
Take shopping breaks in the air-conditioning.
Plan for a water park day.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Why would you go in June, then?

I also suffer greatly in the heat. I would not dream of going to Florida between May and October.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Why would you go in June, then?

I also suffer greatly in the heat. I would not dream of going to Florida between May and October.
My BF is a school teacher and we have to travel during the summer
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
My BF is a school teacher and we have to travel during the summer
Then I wouldn't go to Florida.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

My only suggestion to you would be to increase your potassium intake. When I suffered a bout of heat exhaustion last summer, that is what my doctor told me to do.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

If I lived in Chicago, I'd be tempted to go to Disneyland instead. I've been to both DL and WDW in June, and DL was so much more pleasant, climate-wise. There's some heat, but no humidity. We wore capris and 3/4 sleeve shirts and were perfectly comfortable all day. There's less walking to do. And the new DCA should really be something to see.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Try to plan for a mid-day break. Hit a park for RD until 10 or 11. Go back to your hotel for lunch, nap and swim; then return to the park in the evening. You will miss the hottest part of the day.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: