Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Extreme Heat Sensitivity

I suffered extreme dehydration and a heat stroke a few years ago. This has caused me to become extremely sensitive to the heat and sun.

Usually our trips are just myself and my DBF, DS, and mom but this trip is an adult only trip with DBF and another couple. My concern is that I won't be able to keep up (we are in our late 20s-early 30s so there will be an expectation of energy and health).

Besides keeping hydrated and afternoon breaks what else can I do to keep cool and energetic without it being obvious that I am struggling?

I don't want to use an ECV or anything else that will be noticeable or make me stand out from the others in our group, especially because DBF worries about my health already and I just want him to enjoy our trip.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
I suffered extreme dehydration and a heat stroke a few years ago. This has caused me to become extremely sensitive to the heat and sun.

Usually our trips are just myself and my DBF, DS, and mom but this trip is an adult only trip with DBF and another couple. My concern is that I won't be able to keep up (we are in our late 20s-early 30s so there will be an expectation of energy and health).

Besides keeping hydrated and afternoon breaks what else can I do to keep cool and energetic without it being obvious that I am struggling?

I don't want to use an ECV or anything else that will be noticeable or make me stand out from the others in our group, especially because DBF worries about my health already and I just want him to enjoy our trip.
A friend has a hard time with the Florida heat. She brings a parasol with her to give herself some shade. Also, I bought her a little fan that clips to her belt loop so it is easy to get to when she needs it.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

When it gets really hot here, we start spending more time in the gift shops. Besides restaurants, it is about the only place with air conditioning. Their are gift shops near almost every ride.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I assume that the people that you are going with know ( at least to a small degree) that you have some heath issues) as for other people that are in the park then i hope that Cheshire Figment will post him list of question to ask yourself while in the parks and in need of a wheelchair. I would must rather a person in my group rent an EVC or wheelchair and be safe and comfortable than to risk their health or comfort. i would not be able to enjoy my trip if i knew that my friend was suffering.
The otehr I option that I would recommend is a cooling vest. There are many brand, sizes, colors but this site will at least get you going http://coolvest.com/default.aspx?Asp...ookieSupport=1. We have used one for a while and love it.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895
I assume that the people that you are going with know ( at least to a small degree) that you have some heath issues) as for other people that are in the park then i hope that Cheshire Figment will post him list of question to ask yourself while in the parks and in need of a wheelchair. I would must rather a person in my group rent an EVC or wheelchair and be safe and comfortable than to risk their health or comfort. i would not be able to enjoy my trip if i knew that my friend was suffering.
The otehr I option that I would recommend is a cooling vest. There are many brand, sizes, colors but this site will at least get you going http://coolvest.com/default.aspx?Asp...ookieSupport=1. We have used one for a while and love it.
Its it worn under your clothes? Is it heavy? How long does it keep you cool for? Sorry for all the questions!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

I usually wear mine over a tee shirt because I do not want the cold directly next to my skin. You can wear it under a bigger shirt but you would still want something between your bare skin and the vest. I have a slightly different one than the one in the link, but mine is good for about two hours in high heat and up to 4 if more moderate temp day.

A cooling scarf, one that turns cool by putting into water may work well for you. I just ask for a cup of ice water and then dunk the scarf into the cup and get it cold again. The scarf is good for an hour or two.

The best advice I can give is drink water, drink water, drink water. My MS has left me heat intolerant but I did better at Disney in July than others in my family because I drank water almost continuously. (I also know where every lady's bathroom is but at least I am out of the hot sun while in there.)
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Under Armour & Nike make some nice shirts that keep the heat and moister away from your body .. so look into them as well, along with the cooling scarf (Jog Toggs makes a nice inexpensive one). I would highly recommend not coming in the dead of summer .... that is hard for even those that can tolerate the sun and heat.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I still suggest having a wheelchair or scooter - it will help to be able to sit when needed. I have a totally different reason, but I cannot control my body temp either...

My addition to the suggestions: BIG, FLOPPY HAT. You must keep your head, neck and face cool. These here (found through a google search) even have an SPF rating: http://www.coolibar.com/section/Sun-...FQhxQgodez4ATQ

Also, there is a First Aid in every park which is air conditioned and will let you sit or lay down if you need it.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
cynzilla
Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adventure!

Polar Products

Hi! I have a neuro issue which causes extreme sensitivity to hot and cold. I find the vest sometimes can be a bit heavy with all the packs in.

I have ordered several products from Polar Products, Inc. The link (I hope) is:

http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/home.asp

I sometimes use the evaporative kind, if I know I can't get somewhere or exchange a pack. I have the Kool Max Secrets "vest" which is actually a belt type, that I wear like a fanny pack on my shorts and cover it with my shirt. That provides me lots of relief. I also have the Kool Max seat cushion (but I use that to sleep on all night as I overheat due to restricted CSF Flow). Even the wrist and arm bands area great relief.

I hope this helps and if you are going to plan, try to stay in MK on the forcasted hottest days so you can utilize Carousel of Progress, Mickey Philharmagic, the Tiki Room, Country Bears in MK.
cynzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
Under Armour & Nike make some nice shirts that keep the heat and moister away from your body .. so look into them as well, along with the cooling scarf (Jog Toggs makes a nice inexpensive one). I would highly recommend not coming in the dead of summer .... that is hard for even those that can tolerate the sun and heat.
I will definitely check out the cooling scarf, I think someone had mentioned that once before somewhere on the boards

Unfortunately, our trip is in the 3rd week of June, so we are coming in the heat of summer.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

i know you do not want to use ECV but with june heat, i would reconsider as how would you feel if you go down and EMS has to get you to First Aid. other than train at MK no way to leave park than walk to front gate and then to transporation. i would look at offsite ECV rental with the sunshade. also ECV will allow you to move at groups speed not having group move at your speed and will allow so sit and relax as you wait in line as i noticed the heat more in lines
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer
i know you do not want to use ECV but with june heat, i would reconsider as how would you feel if you go down and EMS has to get you to First Aid. other than train at MK no way to leave park than walk to front gate and then to transporation. i would look at offsite ECV rental with the sunshade. also ECV will allow you to move at groups speed not having group move at your speed and will allow so sit and relax as you wait in line as i noticed the heat more in lines
Can I just point out that this is false? If you "go down" in the park & EMS is called, Disney first aid will move you to a first aid center or a backstage location if it is safe to do so. EMS comes to your location & transports the patient as needed.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

i said EMS as the park i work in calls their First aid EMS. it was Disney First Aid but i assumed they were EMS but i know they were Disney employees. as OP said did not want to stand out from the group i sure did that day. all because i thought did not need to ride in park, just had to walk
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
i said EMS as the park i work in calls their First aid EMS. it was Disney First Aid but i assumed they were EMS but i know they were Disney employees. as OP said did not want to stand out from the group i sure did that day. all because i thought did not need to ride in park, just had to walk
Disney has First Aid which is staffed by nurses, there is also Reedy Creek EMS/EMT which can be called. They can treat on site or transport. They do use other exits besides the main gates. (Reed Creek fire is located just behind Epcot-with a gate to the back stage area.)
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
I will definitely check out the cooling scarf, I think someone had mentioned that once before somewhere on the boards

Unfortunately, our trip is in the 3rd week of June, so we are coming in the heat of summer.
oh goodness, we've been there during June and it's been skin melting 90 with oppressive humidity. Don't even think it won't be as hot as it could get. It could be.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: