Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We love POR, we stay in the Mansion section. The landscapping is beautiful, the rooms IMO are more comfortable then the values, it's a more relaxing stay, and quieter then the values.
Love the pool area, and option of quiet pools too. Great food court, a fav is the make your own pasta bar, boat to DTD is a bonus, the resort also has evening entertainment, Bob Jackson puts on a great show.

I'd check out the resort pics on all ears.net they have a ton of pics, resort videos, etc. It's hard to describe the differences, but you can see looking at the photos. There's also a POR thread on this board that has lots of pics. Look on the info on page 1
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Out of those choices I'd pick POR, but I'd actually prefer POFQ, or rent points for a studio in AKL.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irin997 View Post
Ok we are in the middle of planning our 1st family trip at the end of June!!! 1st trip for DD11 and me and 3rd for DH (he went twice as a kid).

We are STRUGGLING to decide which resort to stay in. Here are the ones wer are considering:

- Port Orleans Riverside
- Pop Century
- renting DVC for a studio (would prefer BWV or BC but would take SSR or OKW)

It's just the 3 of us and we are having a hard time justifying the extra cost of POR as we will be spending all day in the park. BUT I've read multiple reviews that Pop is quite chaotic and the food court is just ok (and crazy busy). I'm imaging and have read that POR is much quieter.

If we were able to get enough points for BWV or BCV, that would be amazing because it would be cheaper that rack rates for both POR and Pop and the location is incredible. BUT I haven't had luck as of yet of that happening and I know I can get SSR and OKW right now for more per point than I want to spend. And lastly, what are the chances that a summer discount is released? It's driving me bananas that nothing is released yet! We've been planning this darn trip since August!

We stayed at POR for the first time in January for a night before we moved to our DVC resort for our stay. We thought it was a very nice resort. It has queen beds and Alligator Bayou has the little Murphy Bed (about 5.5' by 2.5') that folds down. We like the food court there enough to visit it at least once during our trips. My husband likes the pasta bar there. I thought the breakfast choices were very good on our last trip. My son and I got stuff to go and we headed to the pool where my husband was taking a morning swim after a morning run and we all ate there.

Really a very relaxing and pleasant resort. We'd go back there again if we didn't have DVC points to use at DVC resorts.

If you are looking for a food court, you won't be happy at a DVC resort. Most of the deluxe resorts only have a smaller counter service and not a food court with lots of choices.

Since this if your first trip, make sure you take a break every now and then and don't try to stay in the park from morning until night. You will tire yourself and your child out. Head to a park in the morning, then head to the resort for a swim or just to relax in your room for a few hours. In late June it will be very hot in the afternoon and a pool break might just be what you'll need. Then head back out to the parks. It's much easier and more relaxing.

BWV and BCV (and both might be hard to get this late) will only have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa in the villa. OKW will have two queen beds. Both OKW and SSR have several pools on the property as well.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Irin997
DIS Veteran

I did find a studio at Kidani Village for a great price. Does that change anything?
Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irin997 View Post
I did find a studio at Kidani Village for a great price. Does that change anything?
If you can get AKL and the price works for you, I'd grab it. As you can see from my sig, we've been there (along with several other locations) many times, and LOVE it. There IS a counter service at Jambo, the companion resort that's a walk or shuttle ride away, and the shop at Kidani has food items. Or you can have groceries delivered, or if you have a car, go to one of the local supermarkets for groceries. The studio will have a kitchenette with a microwave and a small fridge. There is so much to do there, and great pools. You can also go over to Jambo and check everything out over there as well!

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great time - hope it's the first as a family of many!
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Another vote for Kidani. Absolutely no doubt you'll have an incredible experience there that cannot compare to Pop. The only thing you give up is a bit longer bus ride to MK. Scoop up that offer!!

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
momh135
Earning My Ears

Talking We love POP!

We offered POP or AoA to my dd9 and she picked POP! We have stayed there before and it was great. Really no complaints except the walk to your room may be a little far from the bus area. Very nice for the money, especially if you spend a lot of time in parks, like us
momh135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
livibug
Mouseketeer

We have been to POP twice and loved it. The room is the size of a regular hotel room but we weren't in it much so that didn't bother me. The beds were comfy and the room was clean. That's all I cared about. We participated in a fridge swap here on disboards and had that in our room. We ate breakfast in our room (muffins, cereal bars, bananas...) while everyone was getting ready in the morning and then headed out to the parks. My kids loved the pools. We have been at other places with slides and they didn't miss them. When we did use the food court, it worked for us b/c there are a lot of different selections and everyone could get what they wanted plus they have fruits and vegetables as options too. My kids are 9 and 7 and they love POP! The longest we had to wait for a bus was about 20 minutes after MK closed.

If you are on a budget...it is a good choice.

Dolphin, CBR, ASM, POP
livibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Irin997
DIS Veteran

I just had to say thanks so much to everyone for the tips. I think DH and I can't justify the additional cost to stay at a mod vs a value since we will hardly be in the room and/or resort at all. We are doing WP&M option so we plan on hitting at least one water park so we won't miss the resort slide. I can imagine only eating breakfast at the food court so I think having extra food options will be a waste. We will most likely just eat at whichever park we are at that night for dinner. As far as budget, both are under/within our budget.

I'm tempted to just book Pop right now and then IF/WHEN a summer discount comes out (hear me Disney!?!?!) we may choose to switch to POR. As of right now though, that $400 savings can go toward food.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

I can't compare POP to POR because I never stayed at POP, but we did stay at POR this past October in the mansion section. Our kids are 8yrs and 3.5 yrs. We all LOVED this resort. The landscaping is beautiful, great food court, queen beds, boat to DTD and many pools to chose from. We would stay here again in a heart beat!!!

Good luck deciding!

POR-10/8-10/14 2012
Paradise Palms - 10/11-10/20 2013
Windsor Hills - 11/7-11/15/2015
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Being a DVC member, I would have highly recommending renting points at either BCV or BWV. However, as one of the PP stated, the likelihood of either of those resorts having availability for the full time your there is probably slim. With that said, I would recommend Pop Century. It's a very kid friendly resort and they have a great food court with many options!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- BWI
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
connorsgram
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POP several times and love it, but nothing compares to walking out on your balcony and watching the animals at AKL. I could have stayed there all day!!
connorsgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmauch
Another vote for Kidani. Absolutely no doubt you'll have an incredible experience there that cannot compare to Pop. The only thing you give up is a bit longer bus ride to MK. Scoop up that offer!!
I have to disagree.... for the same price, I'd take POP handsdown! I HATE AKL! They'd pretty much have to give me a room for free to get me to stay there. Diffrent strokes....
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
Irin997
DIS Veteran

OP here...again...we actually changed our minds and decided to just go for POR. I booked yesterday! We went for comfort and queen size beds vs a value. I wasn't having any luck getting BWV or BC (which you guys said would be tough/impossible, thanks for the heads up!). We didn't want to go with AKL since it seems so far away. I think having the table service available plus boat transportation to DTD will be nice.

Thanks so much for the input. We can't wait for our trip!!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
sumsmommy03
Mouseketeer

I think you will like POR. We stayed there on our last trip (I've stayed at the value resorts and hate them). I would prefer the Polynesian but that isn't in the budget so POR was the compromise. The pool is great for kids. The grounds are very nice and we used the boat quite a bit to go to the pool at POFQ and Downtown Disney. We were in the mansion section.
sumsmommy03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: