Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Irin997
DIS Veteran

Need some serious resort choice advice!!

Ok we are in the middle of planning our 1st family trip at the end of June!!! 1st trip for DD11 and me and 3rd for DH (he went twice as a kid).

We are STRUGGLING to decide which resort to stay in. Here are the ones wer are considering:

- Port Orleans Riverside
- Pop Century
- renting DVC for a studio (would prefer BWV or BC but would take SSR or OKW)

It's just the 3 of us and we are having a hard time justifying the extra cost of POR as we will be spending all day in the park. BUT I've read multiple reviews that Pop is quite chaotic and the food court is just ok (and crazy busy). I'm imaging and have read that POR is much quieter.

If we were able to get enough points for BWV or BCV, that would be amazing because it would be cheaper that rack rates for both POR and Pop and the location is incredible. BUT I haven't had luck as of yet of that happening and I know I can get SSR and OKW right now for more per point than I want to spend. And lastly, what are the chances that a summer discount is released? It's driving me bananas that nothing is released yet! We've been planning this darn trip since August!

Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

As a DVC member, I think renting points successfully for BC or BW villas at this late in the booking window is probably unlikely. I likely wouldn't choose SSR or OKW for a first trip either. My opinion is that the food courts at values and moderates are equally chaotic at busy times, mainly breakfast time. I never, and I do mean never, try to eat breakfast at the food court when I stay at a value or a moderate. Learned my lesson. I would choose POR for a first stay but think your daughter woukd likely enjoy POP if you want to save some money. I am not the best with discounts so someone else will have to come along and help with that but I would guess unlikely. WDW discounts rooms when they need to sell rooms. Usually the summer is a very busy time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Pop

As you can tell from my Signature I have stayed at POP several times.

The food is Fastfood/Denny's level, average filling fare.

Why everyone rages on the busses, I have no idea. I have found the bus service simple and quick for getting to the Parks. Coming back, especially after firework or Park closing, the lines can get long, but Disney routes busses as needed as quickly as possible.
--Going to the Parks---
Early Morning , 5-15min. wait, You may at times need to stand.
Afternoons , 10-20min. wait, usually plenty of seating
Evenings , 10-20min. wait, " "

--Leaving the Parks--
Mid Afternoon, 10-20min. wait, usually plenty of seating
After Fireworks, 15-30min. wait, You may have to stand

By staying at POP you can save a little money & be able to easily cross the bridge and visit the Art of Animation Resort, which could be a great alterinative choice.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

WE love POP. Have stayed there serveral times. I can't see paying for anything other than a value resort. We are not in the rooms long enough. We like spending our time in the parks.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

I agree with a pp that BWV or BC this late in the game is highly unlikely. However, I wouldn't discount SSR or OKW you'll get more space in the room for less money, DVC discounts (only a few left), great pools with water slides and features (that Pop can't offer) and you'll still have access to fast food options as well as great table service. SSR quick service has more to offer than OKW, but it is also a quick walk from DTD where you can grab even more food options.

But I digress...

Pop is going to be fine for your child who will never notice the differences. You are the one who will notice the smaller room, less appealing food court and crowded bus. What she will notice is the lack of a water slide. Been there. Done that. Learned my lesson.

We've done value a few times, but only when we got great AP rates that made staying an extra day or two feasible.

POR is a fine choice and a great "first time" resort. It is large, but we never really noticed. The food court is so much better themed and organized than POP. The rooms are larger and of course it has a water slide. The bus will still be crowded at the end of the day leaving after fireworks, but at least you'll get dropped off close to your room.

If it were us, we'd stay at SSR. But if that wasn't an option, then I would go with POR and decide if the mods worth it for our family. We would rather realize we could spend less next time than be disappointed by something we could have avoided by picking a moderate (pools, slides, beds, overall resort feel, etc).

You're going to WDW, don't stress too much

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

If you're really going to spend everyday all day in the park, then don't let a review of craziness in the POP foodcourt bother you.

It'll get crazy in the morning, but guess what...it will at PO too.

If you know you'll be doing a total parktime vacation, no downtime, no pooltime then POP will be fine.
Otherwise, I recommend PO because ammenities are just a little nicer
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

As far as the chaotic food court, remember you are going during a busy time so most food courts are going to be chaotic.

I say go for what ever your budget can handle. But as the other DVC person mention BC and BWV are going to be hard to come by. SSR is under referb so their room inventory is limited. So if you think you want to stay there I wouldl not waste time on booking SSR. OKW on the other hand does not have a food court so you could avoid the chaotic food court. They offer a walk up stand for CS food.

summer is WDW busy season so discounted room rates are far and few between for this time period.

What dates are you going?

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
bakie21
Go Phins

I would stay at POR much nicer everything than the values. Plus there is nightly entertainment in the bar area for all ages. The Sassagoula river cruise to downtown disney is also a big plus. Small fridges and queen beds are at por.
bakie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

I think it's all in what you want in your vacation. We have stayed at a moderate (CSR) and a value (Pop). Enjoyed both. When we stayed at Pop we decided to get the waterpark and more option so the pool not having slides was not an issue. I booked Pop again but asked the kids if they would rather stay at a moderate with no waterpark or Pop again with the waterparks. It was a no brainer. Pop it is. Food court.......kind of crowded sure. Food was not bad to us. We ate at AoA a couple of times and really enjoyed the variation. Gotta love doing The Hustle in the lobby with the staff and other brave guests. The kids still talk about it. That said, we did enjoy the queen beds at CSR and the resort was beautiful. You will have a great trip regardless.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 10
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I think the main question should be - can you & your spouse sleep together in a full size bed??
if you are going to be in the parks all day then that is the only thing that matters
We stay All Stars - movies last 2 trips next trip is going to be Music - we aren't much on breakfasts - I just send DH over to get our morning caffine then we head out
since we lost a snack credit on the quick service plan - we are planning on having cereal bars or muffins in the room for breakfast (or maybe the dessert we didn't eat that went into the frig)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
bbnursie
Mouseketeer

Just FYI if it is important to you. POR has two queen beds in each room while POP has two double beds.
Jan 2013-POR Jan 2014 AKL/VWL
bbnursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Out of your options, we've only stayed at Pop and it was very cramped. Luckily we were only there for one night, but be aware that it's smaller than the average hotel room.

Whatever you pick, I would pick soon - it's going to be hard finding what you want in June, since we're closing in on March.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
sadossey
Mouseketeer

Went on our first trip last year to POR and loved it. Could easily spend a few days there and not go to parks. Very nice resort, landscaping, pools, activities, etc. Food court very good with good selection. Pasta bar was really good. One thing about POR, a lot of people talk about the boat to DTD, which was nice, but it seemed to take forever. We are going this April and to save a little $ we are trying Pop. I'm afraid I am going to be disappointed but I'm sure we will have fun no matter where we stay.
sadossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Irin997
DIS Veteran

Wow thank you guys so much! Since it seems like we won't get bc or bwv now I'm focusing on Pop vs POR.

Keep the comparisons coming and cause we are still totally unsure. Thanks!
Irin997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
JeannieKY
Tink fan

11yr old will most likely enjoy the Pop more. It is my DD16's 1st choice and she has stayed at BC, WL, POFQ, ASMO, etc. However, full size beds at Pop vs Queen at POR. 2 sinks at POR vs 1 at Pop. All bathrooms are tiny. That said, POFQ is more compact than POR and I'd pick it over POR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: