Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
SevenSeasLagoon5
Mouseketeer

Chicago Public Schools/Teachers Strike.......

So who is going to Disney!!!????

**DVC Founding Member** Bay Lake Tower Countless visits to WDW Resort since 1974 Disneyland CA Disneyland Paris
SevenSeasLagoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

I would, but I have to work. Wish I could "have some fun" like Karen Lewis told her people.

I'm also sure that the make-up days will conflict with our scheduled trip.
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

Not sure this is a good topic for me to comment (but yet I do!). As someone who has lived through a strike and saw the damage done to a community from teachers going on strike (in IL... albeit not CPS), I'll be limiting what I say on this topic. This is a very touchy subject for some of us. Nonetheless, we love Disney. And a Disney vacation is good anytime regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmommyrun View Post
Not sure this is a good topic for me to comment (but yet I do!). As someone who has lived through a strike and saw the damage done to a community from teachers going on strike (in IL... albeit not CPS), I'll be limiting what I say on this topic. This is a very touchy subject for some of us. Nonetheless, we love Disney. And a Disney vacation is good anytime regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum!
Up with Disney!
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Well, you wouldn't even have to write that "Disney is an educational experience!" excuse letter to the Principal.

RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
nd5056
DIS Veteran

I only ask for one thing:

Stop calling it Children First! Leave my children out of it, itís all about the power & control, not children. Everyone knows it, no one will admit to it.

It kinds of reminds me of Medieval Times, when they used people tied around the Castle Rams as a shield.

Now, lets go Disney!
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
SevenSeasLagoon5
Mouseketeer

Angry that our lives are at the mercy of this strike. Original question was (sort of) tongue and cheek but would consider WDW if we knew how long this would last. With regard to make up days interfering with other vacations or plans, the schools are going to have to deal with that. I hope nobody considers changing those. Rahm and CTU are both stubborn (no matter which side you support, it is a fact). I don't hold out much hope that this will be resolved soon. It IS our kids and families who are suffering. I resent the "this is about the kids" speech.

**DVC Founding Member** Bay Lake Tower Countless visits to WDW Resort since 1974 Disneyland CA Disneyland Paris
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSeasLagoon5 View Post
Angry that our lives are at the mercy of this strike. Original question was (sort of) tongue and cheek but would consider WDW if we knew how long this would last. With regard to make up days interfering with other vacations or plans, the schools are going to have to deal with that. I hope nobody considers changing those. Rahm and CTU are both stubborn (no matter which side you support, it is a fact). I don't hold out much hope that this will be resolved soon. It IS our kids and families who are suffering. I resent the "this is about the kids" speech.
I hear you. Our district was on strike for a month a few years ago. Spring break was shortened to a long weekend and we had already booked a Disney Vero Beach trip before the strike. We still went. Strikes are just such a lose-lose situation. It really stinks.
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
SevenSeasLagoon5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmommyrun View Post
I hear you. Our district was on strike for a month a few years ago. Spring break was shortened to a long weekend and we had already booked a Disney Vero Beach trip before the strike. We still went. Strikes are just such a lose-lose situation. It really stinks.
It's official. We will be into day four of the strike tomorrow.....

Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Junebugwv
DIS Veteran

I grew up in Kansas City and there was a teacher's strike for the last 6 weeks of my senior year (1974). State law did not allow public employees to strike, yet the unions were determined to make their stand. At the time, the representatives of the school boards seemed so reasonable and the AFT frightened us with their power to deny us access to our schools. It was a time of conflict for children and parents who felt abandoned by the educators we admired and respected. I should have looked at the situation through mature eyes, after all, I turned 18 during the strike but it was a time of turmoil for over 50,000 students.

We all survived (actually, the school system fared poorly in the long-run) but I made my first trip to WDW after my sophomore year in college, so all was well.
Junebugwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
sparklynails23
DIS Veteran

I remember when teacher starting salaries were $16,000 a year, and it wasn't that long ago and there were a tenth of the administrators there are today. Adequate pay and good benefits came about because of the union. I'm sure the teachers wouldn't be screwing up their own vacations if they didn't think this was important. They have kids, too, sometimes in other districts, and extending the school year will cause them to have to seek childcare and miss vacations. I wish them luck. Stand strong!
sparklynails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynails23 View Post
I remember when teacher starting salaries were $16,000 a year, and it wasn't that long ago and there were a tenth of the administrators there are today. Adequate pay and good benefits came about because of the union. I'm sure the teachers wouldn't be screwing up their own vacations if they didn't think this was important. They have kids, too, sometimes in other districts, and extending the school year will cause them to have to seek childcare and miss vacations. I wish them luck. Stand strong!
Touchy subject and probably very prone into getting political, but the strike really has nothing to do with pay. They've already agreed to a 4% raise per year over the next four years and Chicago Public teachers average over $70k in salary.

They are mostly fighting over the evaluation system for terminating poorly performing employees although that pretty much gets lost in the massive grandstanding and "I only care about the KIDS" from both sides.

They are saying there is a good chance an agreement will be reached today. Fingers crossed for all who are dealing with this. I saw the footage yesterday and was REAL glad I didn't have to go anywhere near those crowds.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
They are saying there is a good chance an agreement will be reached today. ...
Keep wondering if these words turned the upper hand in the negotiation, I'd never expect such a quick change from hitting a brick wall to "We're getting to the point where, you know, that it definitely should be possible" within several hours:

Quote:
... "I've got to go back to the silly part of my day. ... Y'all continue to have fun. Show each other some love."...
http://communities.washingtontimes.c...ness-karen-le/

nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5056 View Post
I only ask for one thing:

Stop calling it Children First! Leave my children out of it, itís all about the power & control, not children. Everyone knows it, no one will admit to it.

It kinds of reminds me of Medieval Times, when they used people tied around the Castle Rams as a shield.

Now, lets go Disney!
Living in Pennsylvania I feel like we are the Teacher Strike capital of the US, and what you've written has always been my major gripe about it.

Most recently a recent district did the whole, "Children First" slogan, and, yet, they had walked out based around paid prep periods and benefits. How, exactly does that have anything to do with the students?

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Toad_Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
gottaluvPluto
Loving everything Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad_Passenger View Post
Living in Pennsylvania I feel like we are the Teacher Strike capital of the US, and what you've written has always been my major gripe about it.

Most recently a recent district did the whole, "Children First" slogan, and, yet, they had walked out based around paid prep periods and benefits. How, exactly does that have anything to do with the students?
It doesn't! It is just an excuse. I am a firm believer that public sector jobs should have no unions!

The kids are the ones losing and they are losing big time.

FYI, most social workers are evaluated on outcomes they have no control over, they work horrible hours and take work home ..... Just wanted to put that out there.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: