Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

New iPhone????

If you had to guess or read something when do you think the next iPhone 5s might come out?????

I have a 4, and it is ready to go, so slow....

Debating on waiting for next 5s or if i should just bite the bullet and get this 5?
And do you think these 2 will be that different...

And I am an iPhone girl, no android phone here
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
LiveYourLife
Creator of the: "I'm typing. And I'm backspacing. I'm typing. And I'm backspacing." therapeutic response for frustrated DISers.

I would try and wait if you could. I'm in your boat, rowing right along with you with my 4 (heck, I'm still running on IOS4.....LMAO!). I'm not due for an upgrade until the end of March. I've heard there will be two iPhone releases this year - if I had to guess, sometime this summer. I'm going to wait. Hopefully. Lol!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Domo
DIS Veteran

There are rumours that Apple is to target emerging markets with low-cost phone to launch in September at $199... this would be the 5s. At the same time they are rumoured to be releasing the iPhone 6, with a beefed up processor and even bigger screen.

Personally, I'm waiting in much trepidation for the iWatch, a curved glass touchscreen that fits on your wrist and does all sorts of fun stuff!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmouse View Post
If you had to guess or read something when do you think the next iPhone 5s might come out?????

I have a 4, and it is ready to go, so slow....

Debating on waiting for next 5s or if i should just bite the bullet and get this 5?
And do you think these 2 will be that different...

And I am an iPhone girl, no android phone here
I would wait hands down. Unless your phone is dead, wait it out. The NEW phones are worth the wait.

I have the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the difference with the new technology is mind blowing. The speed, screens, and all the other extras are so much more.

Have you tried a new battery assuming that is perhaps an issue to limp things along?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
DawnM
Dawn

Do you mean low cost for those signing a contract or low cost phones for those purchasing outright?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
There are rumours that Apple is to target emerging markets with low-cost phone to launch in September at $199... this would be the 5s. At the same time they are rumoured to be releasing the iPhone 6, with a beefed up processor and even bigger screen.

Personally, I'm waiting in much trepidation for the iWatch, a curved glass touchscreen that fits on your wrist and does all sorts of fun stuff!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
DawnM
Dawn

I am very excited about a larger screen. I really, really like the Android's largest size, but don't want an android! I want the 5.5" in an iPhone.

My husband has the 5 right now. His work pays for it though. I only have the 4 and run it on Straight Talk.

Dawn

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
Do you mean low cost for those signing a contract or low cost phones for those purchasing outright?

Dawn
I doubt they will sell a new phone for $199 without a contract.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Domo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
It will come with a contract, but it's not meant to be as nasty as current contracts. Remember, the 5s as we know it will be the cheap but still fully featured iPhone.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
DawnM
Dawn

I didn't think so, which is why I asked for clarification.

iphones 5s are only $199 NOW so I am not seeing this as a huge promotion?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
DawnM
Dawn

I am not following.

Contracts are only as nasty as the carrier makes them and has nothing to do with Apple itself.

The contract is the same whether you buy an apple or android or other smart phone.

Dawn

Quote:
It will come with a contract, but it's not meant to be as nasty as current contracts. Remember, the 5s as we know it will be the cheap but still fully featured iPhone.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I don't read the phrase "emerging markets" as meaning in The USA. "Emerging Markets" usually means in developing countries. In the case of the article I found (quoted below) it specifically means places like China, Brazil and India.

Munster examined smartphone pricing on 15 different models across six international markets (Germany, UK, France, China, Brazil and India) to find that lower-end smartphones average slightly over $200 unsubsidized. In China and India, the average prices are $138 and $140 respectively, while Apple's cheapest existing phone, the iPhone 4, averages over $500.
We believe the last finding demonstrates that the biggest pricing gap for iPhone exists between the cheapest iPhone and the average low-end smartphone. This low- end segment is important given we estimate it is a $135B market in 2013 that Apple is currently not participating in (60% of smartphones, or 540m units at a $250 ASP).
Munster predicts Apple will announce its low-cost handset in September, and estimates that a $199 price tag would generate sales of 37 million phones in the rest of 2013, 96 million in 2014 and 170 million in 2015. While an iPhone at that price would carry much lower profit margins for Apple, Munster believes that the opportunity is so significant given the size of the potential market that Apple will be willing to focus on gross profit through volume rather than margins.

While rumors of a lower-cost iPhone have been picking up steam in recent months, a price point as low as $199 would seem to be overly aggressive for the company given its refusal to sacrifice quality to achieve a low price. Tim Cook noted at last week's Goldman Sachs conference that "the only thing [Apple] will never do is make a crappy product", and it remains difficult to see how Apple could provide the iPhone experience at such pricing.

CNET is calling it the iPhone Mini and talking about it being about $300 in China, in an attempt to gain Chinese market share. I doubt we'll EVER see a $200 non-contract iPhone in the US, unless the cell companies drastically change the way they do business.

Here's some of the CNET article:
An iPhone Mini priced at $330 in China would provide a healthy shot in the arm to Apple's Chinese smartphone sales, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty.
A low-priced iPhone would add another 20 percent to the 10 percent Chinese market share currently addressed by the iPhone 5, the analyst said today. Smartphone prices are starting to stabilize in China, which will open up the market for such a phone. But a deal with China Mobile is also key.
Apple currently sells the iPhone to Chinese consumers through China Unicom and China Telecom. The company has been trying to cook up a deal with China Mobile, the country's largest carrier, but has run into stumbling blocks.
Still, the analyst sees China Mobile as a major contributor to the growth of the iPhone, citing a few different factors. First, Apple would launch a new Mini model. Second, legislation for TD-LTE licenses and number portability could pass later this year or in 2014. And third, China Mobile would be more open to subsidizing higher-end smartphones on a TD-LTE network.
"We believe Apple could launch iPhone Mini at $330 (about Rmb 2,000), in-line with flagship products in China from Lenovo, Huawei, ZTE, and Coolpad," Huberty said in an investors note out today. "Even in a scenario of low 40 percent gross margin and 1/3 iPhone cannibalization rate (flattening legacy iPhone shipment growth), which we view as conservative, the iPhone Mini adds incremental revenue and gross profit dollars."
The $330 would be the unlocked price for the phone in China. Launching over the summer, the iPhone Mini would target other emerging markets beyond China, according to the investors note.
Related stories
Apple could launch 'iPhone Mini' next year, analyst says
Low-cost iPhone heading to emerging markets this year -- report
iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone 5 to debut this summer, analyst says
Low-cost iPhone will be like a plastic iPhone 5, claims site
Rumors of a low-cost iPhone gained traction last month following stories from The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg claiming such a device is on the horizon.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I'm looking in the Apple Store. An iPhone5 is $199 with a service plan. Unlocked and contract free, it's $649.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/iphone5

When I got my iPhone 4 two years ago from ATT, it was a 2 year contract, I pay $57 a month for phone 450 minutes and data 2G, I have a 23% discount with my employer. I think I paid $199 for the phone. Nothing "nasty" in the deal.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Domo
DIS Veteran

I'm just regurgitating what I have been told Rumour can very easily be wrong. The 5s IS meant to be the "cheap" iPhone whilst the 6 is the next big advancement. I'm no good with numbers.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I was pretty happy with my iPhone 3GS for a couple of years, but upgraded to a 5 just before Christmas when WalMart temporarily lowered their prices to increase sales. (Actually, someone bought it for me for XMas, I don't know if I would have bought it myself cause my other phone was fine, really.) That said, I like the 5. I don't really "get" waiting unless you're a techie and/or have to have the latest and greatest. The 5 will do an awesome job for you, and you'll have several months to enjoy it without waiting. I do like the bigger screen and improved camera over the 3GS given my photography hobby. If it were not for that, I might have just gotten a 4S which was selling at even more of a discount at WM during the same period. (My other family members got those, and I don't see a huge difference between that and the 5.) So I say just go for the 5.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: