Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Eating offsite- do you? Where?

Thinking of planning some offsite meals, besides make/take our own, in order to afford longer stay. We always stayed onsite for dining.

Is eating off site really as much of a time loss and bother as some say? I'm not worried about losing ' magic' as much as 'is it worth it', time wise?

If you do eat offsite, what meal? And where? Any favorites for ease or nearness to the parks? The Fort?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Yes it is worth it. Both $$$ and time. We like to go to Sweet Tomatoes its a 55 foot salad plus they serve pizza, pasta, baked potatoes and desserts. Sign up on their site for the coupons and they always have BOGO and 4 people can dine for $20 plus drinks.

It is located close to DTD.

In that same plaza as Sweet Tomatoes there is a Fudruckers, BW3, Chevy's - which is mexican, taco bell, TGIF, Perkins.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post
Thinking of planning some offsite meals, besides make/take our own, in order to afford longer stay. We always stayed onsite for dining.

Is eating off site really as much of a time loss and bother as some say? I'm not worried about losing ' magic' as much as 'is it worth it', time wise?

If you do eat offsite, what meal? And where? Any favorites for ease or nearness to the parks? The Fort?

Thanks for your thoughts!
We prefer to eat onsite, but $$ wise you can save eating offsite.

Time wise, it would be a loser for me, depending on how far you go. Anywhere, you would get in traffic, and it could take considerable time depending on where you went. If you have several days, and don't go in the parks every day, then I could see why you would want to go.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
myjourney
DIS Veteran

We call the Giordano's Pizza in Lake Buena Vista and have them deliver to the resort. The pizza is great and the price is very reasonable.

Dec 2014 Fort Wilderness 8 nights
Oct 2014 Fort Wilderness 14 nights
Oct 2013 Fort Wilderness 9 nights
May 2013 4 nights AKL, 5 nights at POR (love Yeeha Bob!)
May 2012 5 nights AKL, 3 nights BCV, and 4 nights SSR TH
March 2011 SSR and POR
October 2010 CSR
May 2010 Kidani Village and Saratoga Spring Resort
Oct 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs Resort
June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
myjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Corgidad
Earning My Ears

We jsut got home from 7 weeks at the Fort and we often ate of site, we like to to to other resorts and try the food. We like Olivias at Key West the best, for off site I would also second Sweet Tomatoes we really liked it. Bahama Breeze is also just down the street from ST and we probably ate there 10 times we liked everything we tried there. Like the places listed above there are many more that are within 20 minutes of the Fort that are also nice. Good luck and have a great time.
Corgidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
KimIce
Mouseketeer

We do both, but when we do eat offsite we like Longhorn Steakhouse. It is really not that far from DTD.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

For brunch 8AM to 1PM Houlihan's on Irlo Bronson for $6.99, delicious.

Miller's Ale House for lunch or dinner, check out their daily specials.

Sweet Tomatoes is really good too.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
We prefer to eat onsite, but $$ wise you can save eating offsite.

Time wise, it would be a loser for me, depending on how far you go. Anywhere, you would get in traffic, and it could take considerable time depending on where you went. If you have several days, and don't go in the parks every day, then I could see why you would want to go.
This is what I'm wondering. I haven't driven, or eaten out of the World before. Or gone under such a strict self imposed budget, or brought so many big mouths! So continued thanks for your thoughts.

This trip we will be doing parks from Go to Drop two days, then Fort two days, off and on for about 2 weeks. A bunch of my kids are coming for thier first Disney visit ever.

So we will be cramming time, but I know me, foodie at heart. I hate trading kings gold for something I can cook as easily, and better, for half a peanut.

I know, I know. I budgeted for CS in park, but I know I will be standing in front of Columbia House, thinking hmmm. $140.00 dollars for clam chowder, fish n chips.....or Sweet Tomatoes for 8 for $40.00.

The next day it will be Pecos Bill, and $ 99.00 for hamburgers (I mean, of course, for the fixings bar)......."but hey, there's supposed to be a McDonalds less than half a mile from here, how about that .99 cent menu for 24 hamburgers....."(talking teenage bulk, here).

And so I will be wondering again and again, "How much time away from the park would that really take?" and "Is it worth it....when, and for what trade off/ price point?"

What do you think about drive time to fast food offsite, despite what Google says, on ONsite days?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Personally, if its a park day, we don't head offsite to eat. Just too much time and hassle. We don't drive to the parks, we use disney transportation since there is usually a big group of us. So we'd have to go back to FW to get in our cars to head off, and if we're headed back to the fort, why not just eat there? Our park days are: breakfast in camper, lunch CS in park, and either TS onsite somewhere near where we are spending the evening or cook something at the camper. If we needed to save money, we'd just be sure to dinner at the camper. We take an afternoon break around 1ish anyhow, so we'd just eat before heading back out. Lunch is always in the parks on our park days because we find we get hungry early and it cuts into our touring to leave then.

If we are going to eat offsite, it's on our fort days. But to be honest, it's very rare for us. It's just too much hassle, I'd prefer to grill (even though I hate cooking...).
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Readerbug! With alot of kids you may want to think about taking everyone in a sandwich. chips,grapes, apples, or whatever they like to eat. I read somewhere that a family took in a soft cooler (has to be soft sided)with their lunch and rented a locker to put their lunch in for the day. I don't know how much a locker is but I thought that was a good idea! That may at least get you through the day and not have to run out of the park untill the end of the day. Then you could have a nice dinner. I saw alot of families have their lunch in their back pack and several eating lunch on a bench or why we were watching a show. Just an idea!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

If we are going to eat offsite, it's on our fort days. But to be honest, it's very rare for us. It's just too much hassle, I'd prefer to grill (even though I hate cooking...).[/QUOTE]

Amylevan, I like the days we grill too! My husband does it! LOL!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Sunny37
DIS Veteran

We'll usually eat off property each trip--most of the time, it's Steak and Shake or Chili's on Apopka-Vineland.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Thank you, everyone...many of Your suggestions will show up in my trip report! Yeah!!(there ought to be a smiley with a camera, snapping our silly smileys off!)

And, sigh. You are exactly right, Southern Belle! Packing lunch is exactly what we are going to end up doing.....I can tell. I'm just not in love with peanut butter and jelly, and can't think of anything else cooler safe, maybe ham and cream cheese roll ups. I will search the boards for more sack lunch ideas. And build up resistance to the sight and smells of food I'd rather be eating.....BUT.

Trade offs for everything. I'm trading a stiff food budget for 16 packed vacation days that a bunch of camping-loving kids will never forget, and am pretty sure I'm also budgeting enough for a return trip within this same year just for two. That's blessed.

I 'll keep reading for more offsite suggestions...doesn't have to be great, just something that works good to fit in eating with park days, or fort days. Appreciate it so, food specifics are right where I am in the planning...that, and still checking out pop-ups.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Bell View Post
I read somewhere that a family took in a soft cooler (has to be soft sided)with their lunch and rented a locker to put their lunch in for the day. I don't know how much a locker is but I thought that was a good idea!
That could have been us. I post often that we do that. We freeze/chill the blue gel pack to keep our picnic lunch cool. So our process is to eat breakfast at the camper, pack the lunch to the park (sometimes we eat it for dinner), and eat the third meal using counter service or table service.

For example, last trip we spent two days in the parks (MK and HS). For MK we ate lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern (got the pot roast) and stashed the picnic in the locker (I think a locker now is $7 or $8 netting the key deposit). At HS we ate lunch at Prime Time Cafe (got the Leftovers) and stashed the picnic in a locker. (got locker #1 )

Soft sided containers squeeze best into the lockers. Don't bring in any glass (except baby food jars), no alchohol. Sandwiches and fruit went in the container with the blue gel; a bag of chips, cookies, small plastic bottles of water, and paper towels in a second bag. You do have to take it through the bag inspection.

I also love Columbia Harbour House and Cosmic Ray's in the MK for counter service meals.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Pasting this from another board thread so I'll know where to find it.
About how long a drive w/ typical traffic do you think it is from the fort to, say, Sweet Tomatoes ?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen
Just wondering to eat offsite do you have to get back on I-4. I hate going into the busy traffic down in the Orlando area.
Nope. Just exit property through Hotel Blvd by Downtown Disney.

If you go to the Left you will find. IHOP, Denny's, Olive Garden, Steak n Shake, Joe's Crab Shack, Chilis, Sizzlers, Pizza Hut, Cicis Pizza, Burger King.

If you go straight into Crossroads plaza you will find: Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chevy's, TGI Fridays, Sweet Tomatoes, Red Lobster.

If you go right you can find Chick-fil-A, Wendy's, Golden Corral, Landry's Steakhouse, Applebees, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Cicis.

All of these are less than 1 1/2 miles from the exit of Disney property. - See more at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.....wNLj6r3B.dpuf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: