Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Pranks?
I love that stuff! - It's all in good fun. 16 25.40%
I guess there's a time and place for it, but I'm not really into it. 15 23.81%
I hate it! - At best, it's annoying; at worst, downright mean. 26 41.27%
the required other 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

I voted "I guess there's a time and place, etc." And I'm not really not into pranks because they are so likely to get out of hand, or to hurt feelings, or to cause real damage or extra work.

I can get a laugh out of a well-planned prank that's funny, unexpected, and that everybody thinks is funny, but I'm just not going to appreciate a prank that depends on convincing the victim that something bad (or very good, like a trip to Disney or acceptance into Harvard) has occurred. In those cases, even when the victim laughs once the prank ends, I still don't like the idea of screwing with someone's emotions that way.

Call me a grump, but I tend to respond to "pranks" with unexpected and probably -- no, definitely -- disproportionate vigor. Nothing violent, but that's pretty much the only thing that's off limits retaliation-wise.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I love good natured, well-planned pranks. I do not like harmful, either physical or emotional, pranks.

Good: coming into work and getting a notice on your phone that says you have 26 voicemails. You listen to all of them and they are all different colleagues calling to see if you got Shelly's message. The last one (ergo the first message left) is from Shelly calling to say, "Hi, I'm just leaving this message for you."

Bad: Telling an overweight, unpopular person that the cutest boy in school likes her just to get her hopes up when in fact, he does not like her at all in that way.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

I normally love pranks, but one that I witnessed didn't give me a good feeling. Cousin tricked other cousin by typing up a fake Harvard acceptance letter (that was her life dream) and she was so happy it made everyone teary. Then the jerk told her it was a joke. She was absolutely crushed. Those kinds of pranks, I hate.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

I enjoy joking and teasing and even the occasional prank as long as it doesn't humiliate, degrade, or hurt anyone. The best way to do this (I've found) is to make yourself the "butt" of the joke or prank. Just make yourself look silly in a way that you know what your family and friends will find funny. No one gets hurt, and everyone gets a laugh. You just can't take yourself too seriously, though.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface
I enjoy joking and teasing and even the occasional prank as long as it doesn't humiliate, degrade, or hurt anyone. The best way to do this (I've found) is to make yourself the "butt" of the joke or prank. Just make yourself look silly in a way that you know what your family and friends will find funny. No one gets hurt, and everyone gets a laugh. You just can't take yourself too seriously, though.
I agree with this. I have a sense of humor but that does not mean I want to be the butt of anyone's joke

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
I hate pranks. Most are not in good fun and are just mean.
Yep, I don't like pranks and stuff either.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

When we were posted to Lima, Peru, we returned from home leave to find literally EVERYTHING in DH's office that wasn't bolted to the floor stacked up on his desk - his chair, the floor fan, a small safe, a dozen telephone books, his visitor's chair...you name it, it was there! On the front of his desk was taped a sign that said "Things got a little piled up while you were away!"

He knew who was the perpetrator and got his own back when he put the perp's shoes in the freezer in the refrigerator in the boss's office. (Perp had a bad back and felt better whe he walked around the office in his sock feet.)

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

My April fools joke backfired. A couple of years ago, me and dh had been trying to have a baby and we were using a fertility doctor. On April 1st I had set up an appointment to get an anonymous ultrasound from the doctor showing twins. I planned on showing dh and then us getting a good laugh when I revealed the truth to him. Much to my surprise, I discovered I was actually pregnant with twins. I did not need an anonymous ultrasound, I had my own. Unfortunately no one believed me for a while.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: