Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
jeegyar
Earning My Ears

Wearing Ears on Rides?

This may seem like a silly question, but do people wear their Mickey and Minnie ears on rides? I'm especially referring to more of the thrill rides like Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, for example, that travel at faster speeds. Would they get knocked off somehow?

I'm going to Disney World for my birthday in April and I have special ears (they are the new Minnie Mouse ears with the crown and feathers on top) I will be wearing for my birthday at Magic Kingdom. I'm not very tall so I doubt that the height it adds would be major once sitting down on a ride.

I'm not sure if it would be a bad idea to wear them onto certain rides, and if I take them off I'm not really sure where I could store them without having them damaged or stolen. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

05/2014 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean) -- 08/2013 Disneyland -- 04/2013 WDW (Port Orleans Riverside) -- 10/2011 Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) -- 07/2008 Disneyland -- 12/2007 Disneyland -- 09/2007 Disneyland -- 09/2006 Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) -- 12/2005 Disneyland -- 02/1989 WDW (Off Site)
jeegyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Unless you want to lose them I would not recommend wearing them on any fast-moving ride. Take them off and hold onto them.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegyar
This may seem like a silly question, but do people wear their Mickey and Minnie ears on rides? I'm especially referring to more of the thrill rides like Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, for example, that travel at faster speeds. Would they get knocked off somehow?

I'm going to Disney World for my birthday in April and I have special ears (they are the new Minnie Mouse ears with the crown and feathers on top) I will be wearing for my birthday at Magic Kingdom. I'm not very tall so I doubt that the height it adds would be major once sitting down on a ride.

I'm not sure if it would be a bad idea to wear them onto certain rides, and if I take them off I'm not really sure where I could store them without having them damaged or stolen. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
There are pouches to store small items on most every ride vehicle that needs them.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
jeegyar
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I wasn't sure if there were pouches or not on the rides, but assuming there are that's probably where I would tuck them away!

05/2014 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean) -- 08/2013 Disneyland -- 04/2013 WDW (Port Orleans Riverside) -- 10/2011 Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) -- 07/2008 Disneyland -- 12/2007 Disneyland -- 09/2007 Disneyland -- 09/2006 Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) -- 12/2005 Disneyland -- 02/1989 WDW (Off Site)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegyar
Thanks! I wasn't sure if there were pouches or not on the rides, but assuming there are that's probably where I would tuck them away!
I know they exist--I've used them--on both Space and Big Thunder.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegyar View Post
In fact, on Soarin' at Epcot, on the pre-flight video, our "pre-flight attendant, Patrick" even specifically shows us that Mouse Ears should be removed from the head and stored in a pouch under our seats during the flight.

HERE is that video (I didn't shoot it, BTW.)
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

And Soarin' is not even that fast-moving.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
And Soarin' is not even that fast-moving.
Yep.

But, the guy in the video wearing those ears looks kinda SHIFTY.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

The look he gives Patrick is priceless, you'd think he was asked to turn over his credit card.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
jeegyar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
In fact, on Soarin' at Epcot, on the pre-flight video, our "pre-flight attendant, Patrick" even specifically shows us that Mouse Ears should be removed from the head and stored in a pouch under our seats during the flight.
That's right! I remember that video! I will only be wearing the ears at Magic Kingdom, but as long as I can store them on the rides there I will be in good shape Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
jeegyar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The look he gives Patrick is priceless, you'd think he was asked to turn over his credit card.
I think he just feels a little "exposed" because he uncovers his giant bald spot, haha

Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I take mine off during fast rides. Just hold them in my hand. I also take them off when watching the shows or 3-D attractions so that I'm not blocking anyone's view more than necessary.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

We left ears on 6 of us on a Space Mountain ride during MNSSHP one year. Wanted a photo on the ride of all of us in our mouseketeer costumes...BUT the ears were bobby-pinned to everyone's head. Under normal situations I wouldn't wear them at all.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses that I've worn for several years and they fit nice and snug (not tight). I've always worn them on Thunder Mountain. One time we were nearer the back of the train and we went around one of the sharp curves and my sunglasses flew off! Fortunately, they landed on the floor of the car behind us.
I never even thought of taking them off. Lesson learned.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

HERE is that video (I didn't shoot it, BTW.)
LOL Robo I was just about to point that out... good old Patrick. Gotta take those little beauties off!

Tags
mickey ears, minnie ears, thrill rides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: