Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #151
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Sounds like you must have some *insider* info that is not available in text or video to the rest of us. You must be very close to the situation to be so sure of what is/has gone on.

What one *video* (not making it up) said was a parent (in a car) being interviewed, and she said her son saw the Disney presentation/posters, etc. on Friday, then *after* a long weekend, returned Tues. and was told it was all a hoax. This was from the *parents* own mouth *on video*.

Not saying I don't agree with you on the bullying - agree 100%. Just don't understand where you are coming from with your info that is so different than what we can find - and actually contradicts some of it.

Anyhow, no matter the posters that are laughing it off, that's their prerogative, but I take it *very* seriously when *anyone* in authority abuses, by using their *place* above others, to take advantage and humiliate. I especially get upset when children (with no power at hand) are involved.

If my child were in that class, I would be like a dog with a bone in making sure these teachers got the message big time. They would definitely get more than a *slap on the wrist*.
My info is not different at all. This is what I said happened. See my last post, as I realized that I left out the details of the long weekend in my original post of the events, but my original account is the same.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #152
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
What one *video* (not making it up) said was a parent (in a car) being interviewed, and she said her son saw the Disney presentation/posters, etc. on Friday, then *after* a long weekend, returned Tues. and was told it was all a hoax. This was from the *parents* own mouth *on video*.
And that's contradicted by another parent. From the article in the OP...
Quote:
Stewart [parent of a 14 year old twins at the school] said that on the Friday before the Family Day long weekend both Grade 8 classes, including her twins’, were ushered into a single room for a video and PowerPoint presentation about the trip.
Details alluding to a Disney World vacation were drawn out with each new slide. “They were overjoyed, incredibly ecstatic,” Stewart said.
The last slide revealed the hoax and told the kids they would be going bowling in Windsor instead.
So we have one parent saying the presentation was on Friday and the last slide in the presentation revealed the hoax. Another parent saying the presentation was on Friday and the hoax was revealed on Tuesday. hmmmm.... who to believe?
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #153
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
And apparently lots of errors & confusion among people commenting on this. How many times in this thread was the "week" referenced?
How were the kids told on Thursday? I'm really confused now.

So the "long weekend" didn't really play into this because the kids knew before they left school on Friday they weren't going to WDW?

I don't see how the "event" took 6 days. According to what you posted, it took 2... Thursday and Friday. I don't see how the long weekend and the delay in talking to the media factor in to this at all.

I'm curious... if a student pulls a single prank on another... lets say dumps pepper in their lunch when they're not looking, is that bullying?
Let's try this again...

Thurs. Feb. 14 - students were told verbally that they would be going to WDW for grade 8 graduation trip.

Friday Feb 15 - students were shown an elaborate presenation with photos and brochures. Teachers pumped up students in order to catch their elation and excitement on video. At end of this presentation, the hoax was revealed. Sometime this day, the teachers showed the video to another class in the school.

Tuesday Feb 19 - students returned to school. By this time, parents were going to media.

Wed. Feb 20 - first media publications came out explaining the hoax

Thurs Feb 21 - many media publications, both in print, radio, TV and Internet were running the full story with photos, videos and interviews.

Fri. Feb 22 - teachers are privately disciplined by board officials

I say the event took technically 6 days, as I am referencing the time between the event happening in class to media publication. I was just trying to explain the confusion in where the week came from.

The actual event took place over 2 school days.

Hope this helps, Tiger
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #154
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Do you think kids are idiots?
Well, yeah, at that age, sometimes they are LOL!

Quote:
Those kids don't need to be told how to feel. And the parents aren't making such a big deal about going to Disney at all. That is down on the list, as I have mentioned many times.
Exactly they don't need to be told. And we, as parents, are here to help them keep things in perspective and teach them how to handle things. Teenagers come home all the time with things they are upset about. Susie had lunch with someone else, My hair doesn't look right, etc.. But then they have adults to help them sort things out.

Instead , with this situation, we tell them they are victims, we run to the media to "protect" them. We tell them they are being bullied. Poor babies whose teachers played a trick on them. We ARE telling them how to feel. But again, not popular, I think , at THIS age, they are better off learning to "suck it up buttercup" with this situation.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #155
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx

1) Bullying is a world wide problem, not a first world problem. And I am just of the opinion that this is NOT bullying and its shameful to categorize it as such. Just my opinion....

2) Moral dipstick? Who the heck said my kids need to be held up to a moral dipstick. LOL.. I bring them up because they are the same age as these kids who are supposedly so emotionally distressed that they will never trust teachers again and are being so harmfully bullied. I figured listening to kid's opinions on this matter might be just as relevant as the opinions of just a few emotionally charged adults and scandal hungry media.

Listen, if people insist on making this issue one that is so damaging to our youth and have to run to the media with it, so be it. It their right. While I might think differently if we were talking about 6 year olds, I just think it isn't. My opinion is different.. no biggie.
I think that you are getting far to caught up in your attempt to define bullying. The fact is, I don't care if it was or was not bullying. What it was is an abuse of the teacher's authority. As such, I hope that the disciplinary action was appropriately severe.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #156
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post

Exactly they don't need to be told. And we, as parents, are here to help them keep things in perspective and teach them how to handle things. Teenagers come home all the time with things they are upset about. Susie had lunch with someone else, My hair doesn't look right, etc.. But then they have adults to help them sort things out.

Instead , with this situation, we tell them they are victims, we run to the media to "protect" them. We tell them they are being bullied. Poor babies whose teachers played a trick on them. We ARE telling them how to feel. But again, not popular, I think , at THIS age, they are better off learning to "suck it up buttercup" with this situation.
We will have to agree to disagree. I will agree that kids are resilient, and as such, this issue should be downplayed especially for the sensitive and anxious students. I deal with a school full of those, and they are going to be hardest hit by this type of thing, as trust is always an issue for those kids. I think the kids should get to discuss it on their terms. Considering, parents have been pretty good. No one is demanding trips to Disney, as that is not important. Most parents want apologies to their kids, which is totally acceptable in this case.

It was good it was brought to the attention of the media, as school admin is always an issue in these cases, as sometimes, their first inclination is to duck and cover.

Some of the kids kept it from their parents, as they were that humiliated. Kids at that age, are beyond sensitive at times, so this is a big abuse of authority and trust.

The fact is, in this particular school board, teachers have been withholding services in order to protest goverment cutbacks on contracts.

Parents were upset enough about that, but to do something like this, in the middle of that, is just plain stupid. Adds insult to injury, as those kids have been held hostage for months now, as all extracurricular activities have been cancelled, report card interviews cancelled, sports cancelled, etc.

With this event, their emotions were held hostage, all at the expense of a prank.

Tiger
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #157
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I'll be honest and admit I haven't read most of the thread. But here's where I stand:

1. I'm a teacher. We have such a hard time fitting in all the material that needs to be taught. Why on earth did these poor excuses for teachers waste class time on a prank? Had they taught ALL there was to know about EVERYTHING in the syllabus-- by February???

2. You NEVER discipline one child by punishing the whole class. It's poor classroom management.

3. My job is to teach, to educate, not to prank.

4. I've got to wonder-- where was the teacher while a child or a group of kids was repeatedly snooping around the teacher's desk??? What sort of classroom management issues were in the picture before the teacher decided to pull this idiocy?

5. If I were a parent, I would be VERY unhappy with this on so many levels!!! And as an educator, I'm also very unhappy. I a child does something wrong, the punishment should be proportional. It seems to me that these poor excuses for educators didn't understand that concept at all.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it will be THE THING that they'll most remember about the time they spent in that school.

People who don't like kids REALLY need to find a different profession!

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 02-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #158
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post

First, you are entitled to your style of parenting.

Saying a child is upset by trivial things like someone having lunch with someone else, hair doesn't look right, etc. etc. You are actually classing that trivial stuff with what happened here??? Would the things you mentioned make it to the media? Would the *guilty* parties have been punished by the school? Wow, talk about comparing apples to oranges. These sorts of things are *rights of passage* to *all* children. What parent hasn't faced that with their children?

You can certainly have your own opinion, but don't be surprised when most people, and the school, takes *bullying* a little more seriously than you do.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #159
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I think I saw this on a Brady bunch once...
Glad I wasn't the only one
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #160
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree. I will agree that kids are resilient, and as such, this issue should be downplayed especially for the sensitive and anxious students. I deal with a school full of those, and they are going to be hardest hit by this type of thing, as trust is always an issue for those kids. I think the kids should get to discuss it on their terms. Considering, parents have been pretty good. No one is demanding trips to Disney, as that is not important. Most parents want apologies to their kids, which is totally acceptable in this case.

It was good it was brought to the attention of the media, as school admin is always an issue in these cases, as sometimes, their first inclination is to duck and cover.

Some of the kids kept it from their parents, as they were that humiliated. Kids at that age, are beyond sensitive at times, so this is a big abuse of authority and trust.

The fact is, in this particular school board, teachers have been withholding services in order to protest goverment cutbacks on contracts.

Parents were upset enough about that, but to do something like this, in the middle of that, is just plain stupid. Adds insult to injury, as those kids have been held hostage for months now, as all extracurricular activities have been cancelled, report card interviews cancelled, sports cancelled, etc.

With this event, their emotions were held hostage, all at the expense of a prank.

Tiger
I agree with this sentiment.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #161
moon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She posted details of the ordeal on Facebook this week, and got calls from the principal and teachers involved apologizing.
I agree that the slide presentation was a bit much, but "ordeal" GAB
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #162
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I'll be honest and admit I haven't read most of the thread. But here's where I stand:

1. I'm a teacher. We have such a hard time fitting in all the material that needs to be taught. Why on earth did these poor excuses for teachers waste class time on a prank? Had they taught ALL there was to know about EVERYTHING in the syllabus-- by February???

2. You NEVER discipline one child by punishing the whole class. It's poor classroom management.

3. My job is to teach, to educate, not to prank.

4. I've got to wonder-- where was the teacher while a child or a group of kids was repeatedly snooping around the teacher's desk??? What sort of classroom management issues were in the picture before the teacher decided to pull this idiocy?

5. If I were a parent, I would be VERY unhappy with this on so many levels!!! And as an educator, I'm also very unhappy. I a child does something wrong, the punishment should be proportional. It seems to me that these poor excuses for educators didn't understand that concept at all.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it will be THE THING that they'll most remember about the time they spent in that school.

People who don't like kids REALLY need to find a different profession!
Great post!
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #163
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Bullying or not, isn't really the problem. The problem is the idiot teachers thought they were being so smart in doing this. How many teachers were involved? Not just one. THAT is a problem. The kids can take from that "heard mentality" and remember that just because someone else decideds to do something stupid, they can always choose to not be involved.

Again, the teachers are a bunch of jerks.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #164
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies
Bullying or not, isn't really the problem. The problem is the idiot teachers thought they were being so smart in doing this. How many teachers were involved? Not just one. THAT is a problem. The kids can take from that "heard mentality" and remember that just because someone else decideds to do something stupid, they can always choose to not be involved.

Again, the teachers are a bunch of jerks.
Yes, the herd mentality is something we are always dealing with in our schools.

Five teachers were involved in this, and that does send a very negative message about banding together to humiliate others.

Not a great message to come from trusted adults...

Tiger
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #165
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyannaMom View Post
I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.
That is exactly what I thought.

If they had just left the paper on the desk and then never commented on it again except to staunch the rumor:
"There is a rumor that we are going to Disney. That is false.", that would have been fine. It would have been a good lesson on spreading gossip on information that did not come directly from teachers.

But the teachers crossed the line with the power point presentation. That ruined the whole lesson on gossip as the teachers played into the gossip.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: