Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #136
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

It's disgusting. 13 year olds are still kids. I would have been incredibly disappointed and mistrusting of my teachers from then on.

For a grown adult to pull such a prank on them is just awful.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #137
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr

Read this part of the definition again, and please explain how these students were bullied:

Tricked, yes. Bullied? Not even close. Everyone, please reserve dramatic accusations for when they're appropriate.
There are countless definitions of bullying. Well known author Barb Coloroso ( her book is The Bully, the Bullied and the Bystander) acknowledges several times in this book that pranks and tricks are in fact bullying, especially when there is an imbalance of power. That is clearly the case here.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #138
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Has anyone other than the students seen the presentation?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #139
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
This is how it happened:

2 grade 8 classes of approx. 30 kids (so about 60 kids in total) with 5 teachers total (2 main teachers and 3 student teachers), were shown an elaborate video, brochures and photos of a end of year grade 8 trip. The kids were encouraged to all yell out that they were, "Going to Disney World!". All kids were passed brochures and photos of the trip, as to build up enthusiasm.

All of the kids were shown this video, and the teachers were recording them. Kids asked questions about how would they afford it, and teachers said that they got cheap flights, so not to worry about it. Teachers then said that they needed to pay close attention to last PowerPoint slide for important information. The last slide was the slide that revealed the hoax.

One of the student teachers was almost in tears, as she realized that the prank had gone too far, based on the despair shown by the kids. Teachers then showed this video to another class in the school.

Tiger
How did this take a week? 30 minutes, maybe an hour on the outside.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #140
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Sorry, but after reading many articles, reactions, etc.. I STILL believe this is a First world problem in a bubble wrapped world.

And I find it awful that anyone would label this as bullying. It completely diminishes the severity of the real bullying that some kids are facing. To tell a kid that is getting beat up, emotionally abused, and facing real bulling that what these 8th graders experienced is the same thing, is frankly, in my book, insulting.

I had my kids read up on it without my opinion and they both thought the same thing. It was funny. As for trusting their teachers they both said it wouldn't matter. They would have laughed with the teachers they liked and "ughed" at the teachers they didn't like. And in the words of my 8th grader, "My pop quiz today caused me more emotional distress than that would have"
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #141
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Sorry, but after reading many articles, reactions, etc.. I STILL believe this is a First world problem in a bubble wrapped world.

And I find it awful that anyone would label this as bullying. It completely diminishes the severity of the real bullying that some kids are facing. To tell a kid that is getting beat up, emotionally abused, and facing real bulling that what these 8th graders experienced is the same thing, is frankly, in my book, insulting.

I had my kids read up on it without my opinion and they both thought the same thing. It was funny. As for trusting their teachers they both said it wouldn't matter. They would have laughed with the teachers they liked and "ughed" at the teachers they didn't like. And in the words of my 8th grader, "My pop quiz today caused me more emotional distress than that would have"
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #142
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx

THAT'S IT! No more pop quizzes! They are unfair and kids feel bad when they fail!
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #143
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom

There are countless definitions of bullying. Well known author Barb Coloroso ( her book is The Bully, the Bullied and the Bystander) acknowledges several times in this book that pranks and tricks are in fact bullying, especially when there is an imbalance of power. That is clearly the case here.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3
Has anyone other than the students seen the presentation?
Still not sure about that. Teachers are not allowed to speak to media, so it would seem the video is probably in the hands of school board officials under lock and key, as no parents have seen the video either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
How did this take a week? 30 minutes, maybe an hour on the outside.
There was no week for the actual event itself. As I said, lots of errors and confusion in the media.

- Kids were told last Thursday (Feb 14) at school that they would be going to Disney.

- The next day, Friday, same students (2 grade 8 classes) were shown the elaborate presentation, and their reactions to the news (good and bad) was recorded by their teachers.

- It was during this presentation that the hoax was revealed.

- The video was then shown at a later time to another class.

- Kids were sent home for the weekend, where the hoax was revealed to parents.

- Monday was a provincial holiday, and school was closed.

- It would seem parents went to media on Tues and Wed (based on parent interviews) and story was published by Wed.

- The whole event technically took 6 days, but there was a long 3 day weekend in there, in which there was no school for those 3 days.

I should have been more specific in my account, in regards to the days. Sorry.

Quote:

As a teacher who deals with bullying, we don't categorize severity of bullying for the victims, so this should not be a contest of your cut is bigger than mine.

These teachers used an elaborate prank that played with their students emotions. They abused their power in doing so, and then showed others how they mocked their students.

We have similar things happen on Facebook and Twitter between students, and we suspend them, as it is emotional bullying.

Sorry you feel otherwise, but as a teacher and parent, they bullied those kids all under the guise of humour, and that is offensive and wrong on so many levels.

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 02-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #144
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Yes, Bullied! Read *all* the definition, not just a small portion of it. It is a case of true bullying of adults toward children.
I completely disagree, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to mine. It was a prank, probably conceived as a "let's get them back for snooping", but a prank none the less. The teachers have been punished, the kids aren't scarred for life.

It's just not that big of a deal, and honestly, if there weren't any parents talking about how "harmed" their kiddos were by it, the kids wouldn't even think about in a month. Parents harping on how teachers have destroyed trust, etc. is going to cause the kids to decide that that's how they should behave.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #145
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Two thoughts:

1) Of course it's a 'first world problem'. Those kids live in Canada, after all. The mere fact that its an issue that kids in a less-advantaged country would never have to deal with doesn't make it less of an issue for the kids involved.

2) The mere fact that your children don't have a problem with this prank doesn't make it less of an issue. No offense, but no one else holds your children up as a moral dipstick.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #146
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

Uh-oh, imagine how messed up their lives will be when they discover their parents have been deceitful & outright lied all these years telling them the tale of Santa Claus.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #147
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There was no week for the actual event itself.
As I said, lots of errors and confusion in the media.
And apparently lots of errors & confusion among people commenting on this. How many times in this thread was the "week" referenced?
Quote:
Kids were told last Thursday (Feb 14) at school that they would be going to Disney.

The next day, Friday, same students (2 grade 8 classes) were shown the elaborate presentation, and their reactions to the news (good and bad) was recorded by their teachers.

It was during this presentation that the hoax was revealed.
How were the kids told on Thursday? I'm really confused now.

Quote:
The video was then shown at a later time to another class.

Kids were sent home for the weekend, where the hoax was revealed to parents.

Monday was a provincial holiday, and school was closed.
So the "long weekend" didn't really play into this because the kids knew before they left school on Friday they weren't going to WDW?

Quote:
It would seem parents went to media on Tues and Wed (based on parent interviews) and story was published by Wed.

The whole event technically took 6 days, but there was a long 3 day weekend in there.

I should have been more specific in my account, in regards to the day. Sorry.
I don't see how the "event" took 6 days. According to what you posted, it took 2... Thursday and Friday. I don't see how the long weekend and the delay in talking to the media factor in to this at all.

Quote:
As a teacher who deals with bullying, we don't categorize severity of bullying for the victims, so this should not be a contest of your cut is bigger than mine.

These teachers used an elaborate prank that played with their students emotions. They abused their power in doing so, and then showed others how they mocked their students.

We have similar things happen on Facebook and Twitter between students, and we suspend them, as it is emotional bullying.

Sorry you feel otherwise, but as a teacher and parent, they bullied those kids all under the guise of humour, and that is offensive and wrong on so many levels.

Tiger
I'm curious... if a student pulls a single prank on another... lets say dumps pepper in their lunch when they're not looking, is that bullying?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #148
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Two thoughts:

1) Of course it's a 'first world problem'. Those kids live in Canada, after all. The mere fact that its an issue that kids in a less-advantaged country would never have to deal with doesn't make it less of an issue for the kids involved.

2) The mere fact that your children don't have a problem with this prank doesn't make it less of an issue. No offense, but no one else holds your children up as a moral dipstick.
1) Bullying is a world wide problem, not a first world problem. And I am just of the opinion that this is NOT bullying and its shameful to categorize it as such. Just my opinion....

2) Moral dipstick? Who the heck said my kids need to be held up to a moral dipstick. LOL.. I bring them up because they are the same age as these kids who are supposedly so emotionally distressed that they will never trust teachers again and are being so harmfully bullied. I figured listening to kid's opinions on this matter might be just as relevant as the opinions of just a few emotionally charged adults and scandal hungry media.

Listen, if people insist on making this issue one that is so damaging to our youth and have to run to the media with it, so be it. It their right. While I might think differently if we were talking about 6 year olds, I just think it isn't. My opinion is different.. no biggie.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #149
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
I completely disagree, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to mine. It was a prank, probably conceived as a "let's get them back for snooping", but a prank none the less. The teachers have been punished, the kids aren't scarred for life.

It's just not that big of a deal, and honestly, if there weren't any parents talking about how "harmed" their kiddos were by it, the kids wouldn't even think about in a month. Parents harping on how teachers have destroyed trust, etc. is going to cause the kids to decide that that's how they should behave.
Do you think kids are idiots?

Those kids don't need to be told how to feel. And the parents aren't making such a big deal about going to Disney at all. That is down on the list, as I have mentioned many times.

The broken trust and deception, and then showing that to their peers in other parts of the school, is the issue at hand.

You don't agree, and you don't have to agree. Those kids feel deceived by adults in positions of authority and trust, end of story. The good thing is that kids are resilient. The bad thing, is that it's during the grade 8 year...a year in which lots of things are happening as those kids are leaving the school many of them have been at for the past 10 years (JK-8). It's not a great way to leave a lasting memory of your last year of school, nor is it a great way to spend the next 4.5 months with said teachers. This is what most people are concerned about. Kids are resilient, but several of the kids are feeling anxious about being made fun of, and more importantly, they feel humiliated by people whom they trusted. That is the real issue here. Disney is not important in the equation at all.

It is really quite simple, and since this is the DIS, I am not surprised that there are people on here who say it's no big deal. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but for most of us in the teaching field, we know exactly how to classify this, and if our students had done it to younger students, we absolutely would have suspended them, as the emotional damage of being made fun of, can cut deep.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #150
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Trust me, I am not wrong. See my last post.

This is how it happened:

2 grade 8 classes of approx. 30 kids (so about 60 kids in total) with 5 teachers total (2 main teachers and 3 student teachers), were shown an elaborate video, brochures and photos of a end of year grade 8 trip. The kids were encouraged to all yell out that they were, "Going to Disney World!". All kids were passed brochures and photos of the trip, as to build up enthusiasm.

All of the kids were shown this video, and the teachers were recording them. Kids asked questions about how would they afford it, and teachers said that they got cheap flights, so not to worry about it. Teachers then said that they needed to pay close attention to last PowerPoint slide for important information. The last slide was the slide that revealed the hoax.

One of the student teachers was almost in tears, as she realized that the prank had gone too far, based on the despair shown by the kids. Teachers then showed this video to another class in the school.

The school board media relations director said that they were told that the idea for the hoax came from a snooping student. Nobody knows if this is accurate or not. Could have been made up in order to justify their actions.

At this point, the teachers have been privately disciplined by the school board, and kids have had apologies from principal. Offending teachers are not allowed to speak to the media.

Tiger
Sounds like you must have some *insider* info that is not available in text or video to the rest of us. You must be very close to the situation to be so sure of what is/has gone on.

What one *video* (not making it up) said was a parent (in a car) being interviewed, and she said her son saw the Disney presentation/posters, etc. on Friday, then *after* a long weekend, returned Tues. and was told it was all a hoax. This was from the *parents* own mouth *on video*.

Not saying I don't agree with you on the bullying - agree 100%. Just don't understand where you are coming from with your info that is so different than what we can find - and actually contradicts some of it.

Anyhow, no matter the posters that are laughing it off, that's their prerogative, but I take it *very* seriously when *anyone* in authority abuses, by using their *place* above others, to take advantage and humiliate. I especially get upset when children (with no power at hand) are involved.

If my child were in that class, I would be like a dog with a bone in making sure these teachers got the message big time. They would definitely get more than a *slap on the wrist*.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: