Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

Thanks starjazz!! I'm pretty convinced we will have an awesome time at the cabins. We are very laid back and outdoorsy people. The more I hear about first hand experiences the more excited I get.
DisneyMagic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
2SillyBirds
Just can't get enough of the Mouse

DH and I were huge Yacht Club fans and switched over to the Fort on our last trip. We didn't have one regret and will probably only stay at the YC if the opportunity of a short trip ever arose. We stayed in a cabin and really had a great time. We enjoyed the quiet and relaxed atmosphere especially after spending a day at the parks. We are already booked for this October. Hope you have a great trip!
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

My favorite memory of any visit to WDW over 42 years is mornings waking up and walking in Fort Wilderness from our cabin - listening to the birds, hearing the peacocks waking up (sometimes not the greatest of sounds but super cool too), and just being in nature in the middle of the craziest place on earth! It is so beautiful! And then having your kitchen to make a proper cup of coffee and have breakfast without fighting lines at the cafeterias to get food. It really is a super relaxing and very comfortable and nice place to be at.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk74 View Post
Our most favorite restaurant at DW is Crockett's Tavern at FW.
I have read a lot of food threads and have never ever seen this place mentioned. Can you tell me what you like to get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post

Space - we had six people in ours with no problems, loved the deck and grill, doored bedroom, and even the murphy bed is really comfy
I have been looking for something specifically about the murphy bed so thanks! It just sounds uncomfortable, glad to read you found it otherwise.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

Ahh, killer! I was hoping the OP would come back and update with their personal experience and opinions.

But in case there are others reading this thread, I'd like to chime in my thoughts about our experience there (in Feb of this year). It was our first ever trip to WDW (we're DL vets) and we did a split stay at AKL and the Cabins.

In a nutshell: we loved it from the minute we arrived and were sad to go. I'm going back to WDW already next month (with my parents and grandma. my mom went with us in Feb to the AKL portion of the trip) and only but for the fact I'll be without my kids am I not super sad to not be staying at the cabins.

The campground is so clean and beautiful. It's it's own little world totally separate from the parks but clean and well kept as to typical Disney standards. The cabins had three total complaints from me- all relatively minor.
A) Our cabin wasn't level. I could tell, but no big deal
B) The cabins are getting a bit rough around the edges (literally edges of things scratched up).
C) Lack of of a queen sized bed. This is probably more than a minor complain but we did ok for 5 nights. Me and DH opted to sleep in the murphy bed and put the kids in the bedroom for more privacy/sanity.

If they refurbed and could add a queen bed I'd have no complaints at all. Even with those minor things, and sleeping in a murphy bed it was still fairly comfortable. We had plenty of space. We didn't bring food/get groceries (just ended up not needed as we were on the DDP) except for milk and the multipack of cereals from the store and stock up on some DDP snacks. For one family, one bathroom was enough.

We rented a golf cart. We didn't request loop 2100, we requested 2800 (and got it). Since we had a cart, we figured be closer to the bus transportation worked just as well as being close to everything else (esp since we only did DTD, DHS, and MK on our days there).

There was so much to do. We did *most* but certainly not all. We (all 5) did the archery experience, and we loved it! My daughters are 8 and they were able to enjoy it as did myself and my husband. I think the price was pretty decent for the length of time of the activity too ($25/person).

Me and my son (almost 13 when we went) did the horse trail ride. It was the one thing that actually disappointed me. This was his 2nd horse trail ride ever and he had fun, but the Dis standards were a bit annoying and the trail pretty boring and completely flat. I am not a big horse riding person but I've done trail rides before (let's say every few years) and I've never had to spent all my time and effort keeping the horse directly behind the horsebutt in front of me. I would *only* recommend this activity for those who are very scared of horses but want to try riding or those who have done it no more than once before (otherwise like me it was just boring). It was $45/person and not worth the $90 we spent, IMO, though my son enjoyed it (I could have let him go by himself). Might be an activity where you let your child do it alone if that's at all possible.

We did the pony rides ($5/per child) for children under 80 lbs IIRC. My daughters loved it, and we loved seeing Cinderella's ponies. We checked out the Horse Barn and mini-museum and the show/pull horses are just awesome.

We did the Chip and Dale's singalong (but not the movie) and we did roasting marshmallows and the kids had so much fun.

We did the wagon ride, fun, esp since is not very expensive ($8 adults/$5 kids)

The little girls also did the pool party and enjoyed that too. All three did hit the arcade a few times, and my daughters loved hula hooping themselves to death each time we went by the Trail's End.

We even made some time for them to just play on the playgrounds/swings.

Lastly, my daughter's were "taugh" how to fish (free of charge) by one of the activity CMs there. They had a blast and caught 4 fish.

We didn't get to the Electrical Water Pageant, fireworks on the beach OR canoes like I hoped. NEXT time!

All the CMS we dealt with were very friendly. The restaurants were all very good, we did the Hoop Dee Doo (LOVED it), ate dinner and breakfast at the Trail's End (was better than breakfast at The Wave and dinner was very good). And we had a pizza from Trail's to Go and also a few QS meals from the Meadows. The pizza was "ok/good" and not great, but for what you got for two QS meals it was a good value.

I was worried about the lack of a "big" QS place, but between the Trai's to Go and Meadows it wasn't an issue. We did find it easy to hit up The Contempo at the Contemporary on the way back from MK one evening.

We had a blast! If (when) my whole family gets to go back to WDW I'm pretty sure we'll have to do a split stay again and do the Cabins as one of the places we stay. And I'm getting pretty spoiled on the Deluxe resorts but to ME for what it was, Ft Wilderness felt pretty close to a deluxe (not in oppulance but in terms of things to do and grounds and location)
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

Thanks for posting that. I do keep my eye on this thread. 11 more days until we are there and that helped to ramp up the excitement another notch!
DisneyMagic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
I have read a lot of food threads and have never ever seen this place mentioned. Can you tell me what you like to get there?
Crockett's Tavern is the bar at the Fort (for lack of a better word). You can buy beer, mixed drinks, wine, etc and its menu has bar food: pizza, nachos, etc. The menu is not extensive. It also has a few tv's on the inside over the bar.

It shares space with Trail's End restaurant but a little off to the side and lower. It also has a walkup window on the porch if you want to get a beer for outside.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
texican
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddiBarra View Post
I was worried about the lack of a "big" QS place, but between the Trai's to Go and Meadows it wasn't an issue. We did find it easy to hit up The Contempo at the Contemporary on the way back from MK one evening.
Can I use the dining plan for QS meals at Trails to Go?
texican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
Crockett's Tavern is the bar at the Fort (for lack of a better word). You can buy beer, mixed drinks, wine, etc and its menu has bar food: pizza, nachos, etc. The menu is not extensive. It also has a few tv's on the inside over the bar.

It shares space with Trail's End restaurant but a little off to the side and lower. It also has a walkup window on the porch if you want to get a beer for outside.

Bama ED
Yes, you can use QS credits at Trails to Go and the Meadows Snack Bar at the main pool.

To the OP asking about Crockett's Tavern, we have gone early, around 5:00 and were able to sit at a table and order pizza and nachos and wings for dinner. During busy times those tables are for Trail's End guests so there's no guarantee you can eat inside. There are picnic tables on the side of the porch (facing the marina and playground side) and you can order at the bar and eat outside.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican View Post
It is a small menu and only for breakfast and dinner. For breakfast there was 2 sandwiches. Not the pizza or Giddyup and Go for dinner. Only the single serve items.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #26
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

We love Fort Wilderness - I have been staying at Fort Wilderness for 40 years - started at 1 and have really never stopped (well okay maybe around the teenage to early 20 years - but them my own children came along and we are right back). My kids have stayed in everything at Disney from the Delux to the Value and they love love love Fort Wilderness. A few weeks ago we were working in my garden - putting mulch, etc - my 15 year old son was helping me - I looked at him and said what does it smell like - without hesitation he said Fort Wilderness - it is just one of those places we love - the sights, sounds, and even the smells. There is soooo much to do. We were there one time talking to the people in the cabin next to us and they never appeared to go anywhere - they had games going on outside and all sorts of stuff to do - we asked them what parks they had been to and they said none - they spend a week at Fort Wilderness every year and never go to the parks - so yes there is so much to do.
My recommendations - get a golf cart - you will regret not getting one and then it is usually too late once you get there to rent one.
My other suggestion - storage space is the one and only complaint I would have, but there are unique ways to help solve that - we bring clothes hangers with us - hang clothes from the curtain rods in the front two windows - works great - I mean I would not hang too much heavy stuff because I am sure they could not take that much weight but a few shirts, shorts, etc has always been fine for us. Learned something recently when I went on a disney cruise and the same thing could apply here - save up the cheap hangers that clothes you buy come on - that way you can just throw them away at the end of the trip.
I strongly recommend the cabins and Fort Wilderness to anyone. It is the most beautiful place at Disney in my opinion - well resort wise - and I think I have at least visited all of them (except the new one).

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: