Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
4KsLUVDisney
Mouseketeer

Cabins at Fort Wilderness

We are leaving in 2 weeks and staying in a cabin at Fort Wilderness. First time doing that. Normally we stay at a deluxe resort or villa.

Any suggestions on fun things to do or must do's at the cabin and Fort Wilderness area? Worried we are making a bad choice in staying there.

Help please
WDW offsite 2000
WDW CB 2001
WDW POR 2004
WDW BW 2005
DisneyLand Hong Kong 2006
WDW CB 2006
Disney Wonder June 2006
WDW CBR May 2007
WDW SSR June 2008
WDW SSR March 2013
WDW SSR November 2013
Disney Wonder June 2009 & Disney's Beach Club Villas

DH DW DD 21 DS 15 2
4KsLUVDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

My family has stayed at the Cabins many times and they are the only place we want to stay, so we don't think you made a bad choice. Our most favorite restaurant at DW is Crockett's Tavern at FW. As for fun thing there is the nightly campfire and Disney movie that appeals to all ages. There is also the Meadows swimming pool and Arcade. At night you can watch the MK fireworks from the beach as well as the Electric Water Pageant. Also depending on the ages of any children there are Pony rides and Horseback rides.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KsLUVDisney View Post
We are leaving in 2 weeks and staying in a cabin at Fort Wilderness. First time doing that. Normally we stay at a deluxe resort or villa.

Any suggestions on fun things to do or must do's at the cabin and Fort Wilderness area? Worried we are making a bad choice in staying there.

Help please
If you are comparing your experience in a FW cabin with a deluxe resort, yes, there will be a difference.

The cabins are *very* nice, but just have a rustic look and feel to them. You have the convenience of having your *own little home*.

There are nightly campfire movies, horseback riding, bikes to rent, pool, etc.

We love FW, but we are campers and enjoy the *feel* of a campground.

But, to be fair to you, it is not a *deluxe resort* that you have been used to, so don't get your expectations up in that area. It's not for everyone.

You can always try it, you might just like it!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

What I like about the cabins is that it doesn't feel like a hotel room. It's comfortable and relaxing (for me and my family anyway). I feel out of all the trips I've taken with family to Disney, the most fun was when we stayed at the cabins. I have no places to really reccomend there, we didn't get to experience much of what the FW has to offer, but we had a blast none the less.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

We've stayed in the cabins 3 times, loved it. I suppose it's not for everyone. that's why there are so many different resorts. If you get there and don't like it you could always move to another resort.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

4Ks,

If you are planning to be in the theme parks or water parks nearly every day, you might miss the magic of the cabins or the Fort.

Most people staying at the Fort tend to leave a full day (or more) just to relax at the Fort. They have organized activities around the pool for kids daily and the other activities people mentioned. Sitting on your deck in the mornings with a cup of coffee listening to the birds sing is NOT an experience you get at the Moderates or Deluxes.

Also having the full kitchen, fridge, and grill outside gives you some flexability to save some money, prepare your own meals if you wish, and not get strapped down to ADR times or counter service meals (like the villas I guess).

So give the cabins a chance while you are there. Let us know how it goes too.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175

Last edited by bama_ed; 02-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Just got back from the cabins and cant say enough good things. I doubt we'll even look anywhere else in the future. Who wants a noisy, crowded, stuffy hotel when you can have your own cabin in yhe Fort?
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
MaineWoodsTribe
MaineWoodsTribe

First Time in a Cabin

It's always a bit scary staying anywhere with 'cabin' and 'campground' in the opening moniker. It's important to remember that Fort Wilderness Campground is specifically designed to feel rustic - it didn't just end up that way due to neglect. It hasn't fallen off Disney's maintenance radar screen. We're from Maine so one might expect us to love camping and roughing it. However my darling wife informed me 25 odd years ago that the closest she wanted to come to roughing it was the bar running out of Chardonnay. The Fort and cabins are an excellent respite from the crowds and hustle & bustle of the parks. It is the perfect place to recharge the batteries before heading back into it. Relax, you've discovered the hidden jewel of Disney World!
MaineWoodsTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
4Ks,

If you are planning to be in the theme parks or water parks nearly every day, you might miss the magic of the cabins or the Fort.

Most people staying at the Fort tend to leave a full day (or more) just to relax at the Fort. They have organized activities around the pool for kids daily and the other activities people mentioned. Sitting on your deck in the mornings with a cup of coffee listening to the birds sing is NOT an experience you get at the Moderates or Deluxes.

Also having the full kitchen, fridge, and grill outside gives you some flexability to save some money, prepare your own meals if you wish, and not get strapped down to ADR times or counter service meals (like the villas I guess).

So give the cabins a chance while you are there. Let us know how it goes too.

Bama ED
Wish we had the time to spend that day just lounging at the Fort. I think the Fort is a WHOLE different experience than a deluxe or DVC and IMHO I like it soooo much better.

You will never have the peace and calm and beautiful nature anywhere other than the Fort. Yes the cabins are in need of a rehab, but they are still so comfy and cozy and PRIVATE! I love them, as a "former" deluxe snob who then went "DVC" resorts only and now hooked on the cabins I can't say enough. I am a light sleeper but I get the best night's sleep in these cabins!

You have your own home away from home. No sharing common walls, floors, ceilings, no toilets flushing at 2am from other rooms, no doors slamming shut at 2am, no kids screaming down the halls at 6am...it's PARADISE. ...even if you have kids, because you know what, you can relax and not worry about them screaming and jumping around disturbing people around you because there isn't anyone attached to you!!

Yes they are rustic and in need of a rehab but they are clean and roomy and comfortable. You can make muffins and make the place smell like fresh baked muffins...or cookies. You can grill right in front of your cabin or make s'mores which is our favorite, must do thing to do there! You can unload your car right in front of your cabin.

There are fun things to do around the campground as other posters mentioned. It is a large resort and if you don't rent a golf cart you will need to use the internal bus system which is pretty good. You do need to give yourself extra time to get to places, but you know that's the trade-off for living in the country/staying in the Fort.

Last edited by jwfla422; 02-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
EpcotQueen
Mouseketeer

By far and away our favorite place. Have stayed at some of the deluxe and moderate resorts. Cabins top all.
1. You can drive right up to your cabin
2. Quiet
3. Kids can safely play outside
4. Full kitchen
5. Separate bedroom
6. Deck with picnic table
7. Grill
8. Sounds of birds waking up in the morning
9. Trails End buffet
I could go on and on....
Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Mary2e
DIS Veteran

I'm also a former deluxe hotel snob

To add what everyone else has said, other differences are in the beds, which are smaller (a full & bunk beds), the bath amenities, and the towels. At least those are the ones that I've noticed.

I'll stay at a deluxe every now and then, usually when I'm only there for the weekend, and still miss the comfort, privacy, and homeyness of the cabins.

Most recently I stayed at a studio in Saratoga Springs (it was a gift from a friend) for the weekend, and can tell you that a) there's no way I would stay in one again - it's a tiny hotel room and b) there's no way I would buy one I can say that I was really happy I didn't have to pay for it. The cabins cost the same for that weekend, and had I paid, I would have tried to switch.

If you're expecting the same amenetities as at a deluxe, you're going to be disappointed. If you expect a free standing little house with a full kitchen, deck, and grill that you can drive up to, all in the middle of Disney, you'll be pleased.
Mary2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
4KsLUVDisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the tips and notes about the cabins. I'm not expecting them to be like the villas or a deluxe resort. Glad to hear they are clean and well kept. Looking forward to our little adventure in a week and a half.
WDW offsite 2000
WDW CB 2001
WDW POR 2004
WDW BW 2005
DisneyLand Hong Kong 2006
WDW CB 2006
Disney Wonder June 2006
WDW CBR May 2007
WDW SSR June 2008
WDW SSR March 2013
WDW SSR November 2013
Disney Wonder June 2009 & Disney's Beach Club Villas

DH DW DD 21 DS 15 2
4KsLUVDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
MaineWoodsTribe
MaineWoodsTribe

Please post back after your stay. Closing out these type of threads really helps others.
MaineWoodsTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineWoodsTribe
Please post back after your stay. Closing out these type of threads really helps others.
Yes please! I have posted that in several threads as we go in April for the first time and I want recent just got back experience info
DisneyMagic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMagic3 View Post
Yes please! I have posted that in several threads as we go in April for the first time and I want recent just got back experience info
We got back about 3 weeks ago. I mentioned earlier in this thread that we'll likely never look anywhere else after having been in the cabins. They are just PERFECT for what we're looking for which is:

Easy access to parks - especially love the morning boat ride to MK
Quiet place for good sleeping - can't stand the thought of a hotel filled with families when we're trying to get some rest
Easy to get to - we were second on the ME bus stop, or you can drive right to the cabin if you have a car
Place for kids to play - tons of playgrounds, pools, beach or just right outside the cabin the kids can play and explore the woods
Things to do - ponies, carriages, wagons and horse rides, Hoop De Doo, nightly camp fire with Chip and Dale, Tri Circle D Ranch, bike rentals, boat rentals, trails, tether ball courts, basketball courts, on and on...
Price - just can't beat it
Space - we had six people in ours with no problems, loved the deck and grill, doored bedroom, and even the murphy bed is really comfy
Kitchen - great for preparing daily lunches, an occassional dinner, cookies, morning coffee and rolls or cereal, etc.
Service - daily towel art all over the cabin, the kids's stuffed animals waiting in the windows when you get back, attentive CMs, they'll do your dishes for you, place looked great and we were well taken care of!
Atmosphere - just so Disney - the themeing is just awesome, and nature takes over - unlike anything else

I'm sure I'm even missing some things, but yeah, I'd be their spokesperson if they asked. We LOVED it!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: