DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
She said that the company only check the points at the start so people have closed and then went to book their holiday only to find that the sellers have used the points between listing and closing and they're no longer available!
You expect Disney to be honest and above board but DVD plays by different rules. They will say pretty much anything to get you to buy direct and they have already restricted resale buyers from the exchanges other than RCI. That shouldn't matter anyway because exchanges aren't a good deal, you should buy a DVC interest to vacation at DVC resorts only.

You really need to decide on which resort you love and want to call home. Booking a resort for 2 weeks at 7 months out may exclude you from the popular resorts. There is a reason that some resorts have limited availability and others don't. Do you really want to buy a resort where others don't?

As a seasoned owner your vacation habits will change and you will not be in a rush to hit the parks. You will spend more time at your resort enjoying your vacation, you may sleep in, eat in your room more, go for walks.

We have been owners for many years and our vacation habits have changed. On our last 8 night stay we went into the parks for a total of about 6 hours.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly
She said that the company only check the points at the start so people have closed and then went to book their holiday only to find that the sellers have used the points between listing and closing and they're no longer available!
If you work with one of the larger, reputable resale brokers that will not happen. That was merely a scare tactic by a salesperson, looking to make you fearful of resales, making your only options direct purchase, from her. Talk instead to a sales person at The Timeshare Store (forum sponsor) or Fidelity. Ask specifically about buyer protections from the sort of scenario the DVC "guide" laid out for you.

You have already missed the 7 month window for BCV for the end of August. Now you will only find very spotty availability, a night here or there. SSR by comparison is wide open. You could book 2 weeks at SSR, no problem. The key to having a chance at nabbing something at one of the smaller resorts (BCV, VWL, BLT) at the 7 month mark, is to be online at 8 AM EST at exactly 7 months out from your check in date.

I concur, if you want to stay at BCV more often than not, you ought to buy points there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

I suppose it would be optimum to buy at BCV and then we can still easily get into SS at 7 months the problem is we can't afford the number of points we would need to be booking for 2 weeks every couple of years.
Jobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all, lots to think about.
I've been on the phone to disney but no one seems to be able to tell me if there is any availability at beach club for the last two weeks of August this year. I thought that would give me an indication of whether we would be able to book at other resorts.
What she did tell me was lots of horror stories about people who didn't but direct from disney being ripped off. Is a bit of a worry but such a big price difference.
This is simply a scare tactic used to steer people into buying direct. They do it because it works. It's like saying that you should only drive to Disney because if you fly your plane could crash. While that's true, it happens such a statistically insignificant amount of the time that it's not really a fair statement.

Quote:
That is a misleading statement. While I am sure that this has happened at some point in time, to represent that as a normal occurrence is not being completely honest. If you are dealing with a broker who specializes in DVC, they are familiar with all the ins and outs of the transaction process. Point summaries are pulled many times during the process. Frequently they are verified at the time of listing, before signing contracts, and then immediately prior to closing. Money is held in escrow in order to prevent the seller from using points and taking your money. It's a safe process, so I wouldn't let fear be a motivator for you to buy direct over resale. Good luck with your contract hunt!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I suppose it would be optimum to buy at BCV and then we can still easily get into SS at 7 months the problem is we can't afford the number of points we would need to be booking for 2 weeks every couple of years.
Disney is a very expensive luxury vacation. If you are set on vacationing at WDW for years and years, you love the DVC resorts and rooms and buying a DVC interest will save you money, then you should save your money to buy the contract you need.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
fortheloveofminnie
Earning My Ears

Here are a few points to consider:
1) I think it's best to buy where you would most like to stay. For me, I love AKL and it just wouldn't be the same anywhere else so that's where I'm buying my points (resale). If it truly doesn't matter, buy SSR and save money.

2)If you know what resale does and doesn't get you, then you should have no reservations about buying resale. Even my member guide told me he would buy resale if he were me. I am buying to stay at a DVC resort. Period. I'm not interested in using my points in any other way. Just use a major resale broker to safeguard your investment.

3)As for how much to offer? Offer what you think it's worth. Check out the ROFR thread. I made MANY offers before I had one accepted. In fact, I offered $61/pt on a AKL contract listed at $75/pt. It was the last contract left to make an offer on through Fidelity that met my criteria. The sellers agreed to my price without so much as a counter offer. The right contract at the right price will come along if you're patient. (Mine still has to pass ROFR though!)

Do your research and make sure you are happy with your purchase! Good Luck!
fortheloveofminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On each one of my resale contracts (10 total) I was given a listing of all the current and future points available and this became part of the legal purchasing document. Therefore, if I did not receive the points listed, I would not be bound to the contract.

Stephen
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all, lots to think about.
I've been on the phone to disney but no one seems to be able to tell me if there is any availability at beach club for the last two weeks of August this year. I thought that would give me an indication of whether we would be able to book at other resorts.
What she did tell me was lots of horror stories about people who didn't but direct from disney being ripped off. Is a bit of a worry but such a big price difference.
While issues happen, they aren't an innocent bystander in this process. I wouldn't put too much stock into this. The reality is unless they take your money and you don't get anything in return, the chances of being worse off than buying retail is non existent for all but very small packages.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #24
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the reassurances for buying resale. I didn't imagine it was something that happened very often.
Think I've won my case with hubby, he does love our holidays in Florida but also likes to go elsewhere so the fact we would probably only be able to go every two years is a plus to him. I know we could save money by not doing dvc and staying off site in cheaper accommodation but that's not what we want and we couldn't afford to pay OOP for 2 bedrooms in site.
Now just to decide between SS and BCV, this is the hard part because I know I love BCV but I have the feeling I will love SS and was already looking to stay there next year. It worries me slightly though that it seems so unpopular, as though there might be something we're missing and we'll only see it when we get there. I know that's an argument for renting first but that's probably half the cost of the points by doing that. It's all a bit of a dilemma!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #25
zavandor
DIS Veteran

SSR is not popular because it requires a similar number of points than other resorts, but:
- the crescent lake resorts are in walking distance to two parks
- BLT is in walking distance to MK
- BWV, AKV and BLT have some views that are extremely difficult to book and very cheap on points
- OKW has bigger rooms and is cheaper on points
- SSR is so huge that the 11 months window is nearly useless

SSR once had the treehouse villas, 3 bedrooms for the cost of 2, it increased its popularity, but they removed that advantage (now they cost more).
So it's not that SSR is an ugly resort, simply there are advantages for the other resorts so that people want the 11 months advantage
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #26
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I agree it is not that SSR is not nice. But it is huge, so you can nearly always get a villa there. And fewer people find "close to DTD" as big an advantage as "walkable to xx park/s". More owner at SSR that want to stay at other resorts, means that if you are booking last minute, within 3 months or so, it will nearly always be SSR that has room.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #27
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The overall price makes SSR attractive. It is a great resort in itself, but not as close to the parks as some would want. I wish THV were a bit less. We have stayed in BC AK and SS before we bought and purchased SS because it was laid back and you got away from the hustle and bustle and more of a relaxed vacation atmosphere. All of resorts have a degree of desire that varies with users and their needs. We love SSR
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all the reassurances for buying resale. I didn't imagine it was something that happened very often.
Think I've won my case with hubby, he does love our holidays in Florida but also likes to go elsewhere so the fact we would probably only be able to go every two years is a plus to him. I know we could save money by not doing dvc and staying off site in cheaper accommodation but that's not what we want and we couldn't afford to pay OOP for 2 bedrooms in site.
Now just to decide between SS and BCV, this is the hard part because I know I love BCV but I have the feeling I will love SS and was already looking to stay there next year. It worries me slightly though that it seems so unpopular, as though there might be something we're missing and we'll only see it when we get there. I know that's an argument for renting first but that's probably half the cost of the points by doing that. It's all a bit of a dilemma!
These are two mistakes that we see frequently on here. Sometimes they're made by someone who hasn't really taken a good look at the math and sometimes they're justifications that people need to reassure themselves that purchasing is the right move for them. Sometimes they're just mistakes.

The fact of the matter is that you can afford to pay OOP for a 2 bedroom on site if you rent points. If you have the cash to pay for a DVC resale up front, then you definitely have cash to pay for that stay.

Pertaining to your second quote, I encourage you to do the math behind renting and purchasing, and you will see that this statement is off. Of course it varies contract to contract depending on purchase price and other key variables, but typically one can rent points between 6-10 years before they "use up" all of the money that DVC would have cost them for that period. So please don't feel that you would be spending half your DVC budget if you rented points once. It's more like 10-16% and it might be money well spent if it saves you from buying a resort that you don't like. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
gopfans
Earning My Ears

I would really go see SSR (or anywhere) before you buy. I thought I would really not mind SSR when we stayed there but honestly it is my least favorite DVC. If you love BC I would buy there. Why not start off with the number of points you can afford and add on as you can afford to until you can accumulate enough points for the longer stay at BCV. You can stay at SSR on you BCV points and if you find you love it there, buy points there too at a lower cost. You can always do a split stay too. I wish we had understood that you can always add on points down the road when we had looked into DVC Years ago and hadn't waited until we could afford the max points we thought we needed to buy.

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2010
Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon 2010
Disney World 1/2 Marathon 2011
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2011-Coast to Coast
Princess 1/2 Marathon 2012
**In Training** Disney World FULL Marathon 2013

Calling Animal Kingdom Villas Home since 2012
gopfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

ELMC, unfortunately we would be spending quite a bit as at $11 per point for 2 weeks in may it would be quite costly.
I agree with everyone that it would be ideal to see SS but that wouldn't be until may 2014 and as I said the to stay would be high.
I'm not that much of a risk taker but I've got a good feeling about SS. It looks like and airy and not that dissimilar to BC. We've looked to stay at AK in the past but I didn't like the look of it and sure enough when we went for a meal we weren't keen on it. I like the idea that SS is more relaxed and that being there for two weeks we can walk around more and try different pools. I also think as DS gets older the location to laser quest and the golf course will be good.
I might be totally wrong of course and if we buy and hate it we're a bit stuck but I've put an offer in for a 300 point contract. Not sure we'll get in as I've went in lower after checking the thread about passing ROFR.
I will let you know, and if we get it probably spend the next year praying we love the resort.
Thanks again for all the help. First time on dis other than lurking and it's been really useful and friendly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: