Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
anniebabymu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery222184
I've gone to Disney both with family and as a young couple. I feel Disney has so much to offer and with several varying parks/resorts, you can get a taste of many different types of vacations in one. But I can't be the only one who gets the usual, "Why are you going to Disney again!?"....Too many people see Cinderella's Castle only and don't seem to understand all you can do and experience in Disney...
I was most definitely one who just saw the castle. My MIL is super into Disney and I didn't "get it" at all! My MIL and FIL went to DL for their honeymoon and took my DH and his siblings on a couple vacations there, but I had never been. So of course my MIL said we were all going on a family vacation to DW and I thought I'd suck it up for her and my DD's.

We'll, over the course of the planning year I discovered the Mom's Panel (unfortunately I hadn't discovered the DIS until recently) and I found myself getting more and more excited! We took that trip last Oct and I was hooked! Seeing my girls (18 mo and 4 at the time) have so much fun made it all worthwhile! Disney puts every thought into making everything special while you're there. Life with mom and dad that work hard leaves not much family time... and that time down there was so special to our family!

We are already going back in April without the in laws! When people hear that their immediate response is "Already?!". Yes "already" and it's none of your business! My MIL and SIL (hubby's brother's wife) are jealous! My DH and BIL are the same, they had fun but don't necessarily want to go back all the time... I think my MIL is happy that she has me and her other DIL to make them go!
November 2014: Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon, Girls Only Trip, Pop Century?? MVMCP ?

10 Nights, 9 Days, 2 Birthdays and 1 Magical May 2014 Vacation PTR *May 2014 Facebook Page... Click here!*

Me DH DD6 DD2
anniebabymu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Disney is awesome. But it seems really hard to make people understand. I know I didn't, until I experienced it. One of the major reasons we booked it is because my wife is a huge Little Mermaid fan (Her grotto was closed while they were building FL2 ) and because they offered free dining ... couldn't pass it up. So glad we didn't.
Ditto. my SIL and her DDs loved Disney and I never really understood why. I had been as a kid and intended to take my kids at some point for a "once in a lifetime" trip. I kept putting it off because it was so expensive. We got free tickets the year they had the volunteer promotion and so we decided to go for a short weekend trip. Just 2 days at the park although we did stay onsite because it was the cheapest option (mostly due to free ME).

WE LOVED IT. Our whole family fell in love with the place. We've travelled a fair bit as a family and as a child I travelled a lot. We've been in Asia, in beautiful exotic beaches, in big cities, in beautiful national parks, in historic locales. I definitely saw it as my most favorite vacation spot.

3 months later, we were back - for an extended 10 day trip with free dining, etc etc. We fell in love even more. This year we are trying a Disney cruise. We did RCCL last year and liked it, but didn't love it. DH is dying to try a Disney cruise so that's what we're doing (for myself, I'm having a bit of a hard time with the premium cost, but it will be worth it to try it).

Pre and post cruise we will be in Orlando and I've decided not to go to a park because 1-2 day tix are just not worth it. I thought great - we'll see the rest of Orlando! But now we've gotten down to nitty gritty planning. DH vetoed Universal (he has motion sickness and won't ride the coasters and doesn't want to try those intense motion simulators either) and Sea World (he's not big on zoos and aquariums). We're hoping to do Wet n Wild, but it's all dependent on the weather in March.

Other than that, we just can't find stuff to do outside WDW that really interests us (isn't that awful?!!). We have 2 days in Orlando and I figure we will:
- eat in Celebration (I'm dying to check it out!)
- go to the Lego store in downtown Disney
- either do the Downtown Disney dance party (which my DD in particular enjoys) or the Chip n Dale campfire singalong
- eat at Earl of Sandwich
- dinner at Ohana and Wishes on the Poly beach
- one of the Disney minigolfs
- maybe do some resort hopping

There is literally NOTHING (other than Wet n Wild) that we are really interested in doing on I-Drive - oh yes, I do want to check out the big McDonald's. Even I am having a hard time swallowing how Disney-centric we are turning out to be! We have definitely drunk the Disney koolaid, particularly my DH.

Our closest friends have all been - but they don't get it. They do ask us frequently, "why Disney" as they'd like to understand. But really it boils down to - we drank the koolaid, they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
But, I have never gone to Las Vegas, so, I am not sure whether I would like it. I know there are shows and stuff, but they are expensive. I don't know how to play gambling games, and the idea of feeding money into a "game" just doesn't appeal to me.
We did Vegas for the first time last year and liked it. I liked the constant vibe of excitement and the feeling that there was always something to do. But yes, shows and food were $$ (I honestly thought it would be cheaper, but I can see the same shows in my city for the same price or less!). We actually chose to go mostly because we wanted to get away somewhere warm, and we wanted it to also be cheap. So we mostly planned to tour the hotels. We ended up also doing one of the minor shows, a 24 hr buffet pass. We also played a Facebook game called MyVegas and earned a couple of steak dinners for free. We've been playing the game since and our next Vegas trip we'll see 1-2 Cirque shows, get some of our accommodations, and all our food paid for. That way, it will be a cheap trip
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

We get this all the time, too. We're DVC members, which almost makes it easier in some ways. People know were going to keep going back, so they let it go.

My MIL is the one who has had the hardest time understanding. My husband finally found a way to explain it so that she hasn't mentioned it again in awhile. He said "You know, lots of people have houses on the Cape, or up in the Mountains...it's their vacation home. Our vacation home is in Disney. It's no different."

We've also travelled quite a bit (I'm even a travel agent!) but Disney is just what we like best. We always know it's money well spent because the entire family will have a good time. Want to play like kids at the park all day? Go ahead. Want to lay by a pool and relax with a fun drink like you would on a cruise? The resort pools are fabulous for this. We like our options when we're at Disney, and let's face it, you don't get that magic anywhere else.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
SplashMtnCrew
DIS Veteran

We're leaving for trip number 12 in three days! Seen Grand Canyon, Mexico lots of times, painted desert, skiing, Disneyland, NYC, Pacific Ocean, we live 20 minutes from Atlantic Ocean now, broadway shows, smithsonian, St. Louis arch, Indian reservations, museums, blah blah blah. We talk of other places but we always go back WDW. It fits our family perfectly. I look at the beach everyday, boring. I've learned to say " yes, again....where is your family going this year?" Generally the answer is "no where"and I say "how unfortunate."
CSR 11/2008, Poly~ Club Level 1/2009, POFQ 5/2010 & 10/2010, POP Century 10/2011, CBR 2/2013
SplashMtnCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
mystery222184
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashMtnCrew
We're leaving for trip number 12 in three days! Seen Grand Canyon, Mexico lots of times, painted desert, skiing, Disneyland, NYC, Pacific Ocean, we live 20 minutes from Atlantic Ocean now, broadway shows, smithsonian, St. Louis arch, Indian reservations, museums, blah blah blah. We talk of other places but we always go back WDW. It fits our family perfectly. I look at the beach everyday, boring. I've learned to say " yes, again....where is your family going this year?" Generally the answer is "no where"and I say "how unfortunate."
Have an awesome time!

Summer 1998: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2001: {Polynesian CL} ~ Spring 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Christmas 2012: {Polynesian CL} ~ Summer 2013: {Grand Floridian CL} ~ Christmas 2013: {Wilderness Lodge CL} ~ Summer 2014: {Polynesian CL} ~ Fall 2014: {Yacht Club CL/ Wilderness Lodge CL}
mystery222184 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I get the question, roll my eyes, bite my tongue about the questioner's every year habit (practically everyone we know vacations "up north" every summer), and say something like "Because we like it". We do go other places, and the balance will certainly shift from 'mostly Disney' to 'mostly elsewhere' as my youngest gets old enough to appreciate/enjoy a wider range of destinations and old enough for me to enjoy those other destinations rather than just managing her, but we all love Disney so we go back often.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #37
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

As a young single man most of my friends have no concept why I am such a big fan of WDW. I have finally convinced one of my friends to come with me in a year!
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
marybogue
Mouseketeer

My neighbor was in the Orlando area the week after Christmas with his two children because they were visiting friends. None of them had ever been to WDW, and on the spur of the moment decided to go. With no prep. During the busiest week of they year. And guess what? They hated it! He was making fun of the intense Disney fans he encountered in the parks, and generally just didn't get it.

So basically, I had to set him straight. Disney is a magically, unique place. And one that is expensive. You get out of it what you put into it! He was teasing me about my Disney love, and I am A OKAY with that! I am taking my kids for the first time in May, and hope to establish a long standing tradition of Disney trips, and will embrace the "Disney again?!" comments.

After all, I know I am in good company!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
herb102211
DIS Veteran

I get the same eye rolls from people at work, you're going to Disney again. I don't think people realize there are just as many things for adults to do there as there are for kids. Their loss, right?!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
You know, I was just talking about this with someone else.

My wife and I have no kids yet, we have been married a year and a half, in our late 20s early 30s. We honeymooned at Disney last February, and already our friends asked us ... "really ?".

They kind of blew it off as something cute, for a honeymoon they could kind of understand, but they still thought it was weird. "Don't you want to go down south ? Sit on a Beach ? Drink all day ? What about Europe ???" etc etc ...

We came back totally in love with disney, greatest 8 days of my life I think. And of course, couldn't wait to go back again. Sometime in the fall/early winter, people began planning trips for the winter (we live in Canada, we all try to get away for a bit if we can). A group of friends wanted us all to do Aruba, another
Friend was booking Punta Cana and wanted us to come, Anothe group wanted to do Sandals, another couple were going somewhere else down south. We, wanted to do Disney again, even bigger and better than the last time, and we would have loved to share it with some of our 'young adult' friends...

The amount of crap we have gotten from our friends about "maybe we we have kids we will do disney" and "isn't that just a little kiddie?" or "Isn't there somewhere better you want to go, like an all inclusive beach resort ..." etc etc
etc ....

Its so difficult to explain to people just how awesome disney is, how much there is to experience, how much you can do and at the same time how relaxing it all can be. How fully entertained you are ... its just awesome.

Its funny, our friends come back from their all inclusives, and they have a bunch of pictures, but not too many, and all they have really done is sat on the beach,
drank, swam, and went out for dinner. After a while the pictures all just look the same. I am sure they all love it, and I am glad that it works for them.

My wife is working on her scrapbook (its her hobby), she is on Day 2 of our 8 day trip. I can tell you she has more pictures, and we had apparently done more in the first 2 days of our trip then our friends did on an entire week of their various beach resort vacations.
Disney is awesome. But it seems really hard to make people understand. I know I didn't, until I experienced it. One of the major reasons we booked it is because my wife is a huge Little Mermaid fan (Her grotto was closed while they were building FL2 ) and because they offered free dining ... couldn't pass it up. So glad we didn't.
Glad you didn't either

We have two favorite vacation spots... Disney and the Smokey Mountains. Both are very special to us. People don't get it and frankly, idc
Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
SAT887
DIS Veteran

I tell people I'm going to Florida... I honestly stopped saying too much to people after the "again? Really?" Type responses.... I don't like wasting my time when people are disrespectful about it - and I prefer to be nicer than mean

What matters is we have a good time, my money, my vacation... I honestly don't let my family I on it too much (mostly brother & sister) because apparently if I have extra money I should funnel it to them However my parents bought DVC 20 years ago (which was transferred to me) so the trips are understandable to them. We just introduced part of DHs family to Disney in December. They never said anything but I don't think they understood either (they are super nice) now they want to go with us every year They told us what we did, the fun we had, and the little tips I gave them when we took our kids back for naps really helped them have fun...

And honestly I think deep down they are all a bit jealous
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #42
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

For many people that have never been to Disney World, Disney World is thought of as a once in a lifetime trip; and many people think of it as way more expensive than it actually has to be. I think this may be the reason for the unfair judgement towards those for whom Disney is an annual (or more) trip. It's a shame though because no one should be made to feel that they have to explain or apologize for their vacation of choice.

Me, DH, and our DS DD DD DS new baby DD

Last edited by 2Pirates2Princesses; 04-01-2013 at 09:36 AM.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #43
richkaryn
Mouseketeer

When we took DS (now 5) and our nephew (on DH's side, 14 at the time) for their first trip a couple years ago, we invited my inlaws to come along. My MIL actually said "I don't know why we'd want to go back or why you're even going, if you've seen it once, you've seen it and that should be enough." (DH was quick to point out to her that the last time she saw it, WDW was only MK and Epcot and they've since added 2 parks!.....they still didn't come along).
And it was a totally different experience for us with the kids than it was when we went for our anniversary prior to having DS. With the kids we rode rides/explored areas we never even went near on our pre-children trip. And half the magic was seeing things through the kids' eyes! This next trip we are staying at a moderate and doing things at a slower pace with a non-park day thrown in to relax and enjoy our resort. We've also gone with DxDP this time instead of DDP, bc for us last time eating was a big part of the enjoyment as well and we'd like to enjoy some things we didn't do last time food-wise. We've always been during Flower & Garden Festival in the past (mainly bc of when Spring Break dates fell) but this year we are going the beginning of June. Our ultimate goal as a family is to "upgrade" our experience in at least one way each trip.....that way it's a new and different experience (at least in some aspect) every time. If people can't understand that when we explain it to them, then I guess they never will understand until they get bitten by the "disney magic" bug themselves.
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #44
clapton
Mouseketeer

We have been going for a very long time, since our kids were little. Now we are DVC members, our kids are all grownup but we all still go every year. It is our annual family vacation and we love it! We have made so many wonderful memories that we all cherish. The people that say "again" just don't get it!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #45
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

While planning our honeymoon at Walt Disney World, my wonderful MIL, almost cried, she couldn't understand WHY we would go some place like that for our honeymoon. She even asked my DH if something was missing from his childhood and if that was why we were going to WDW.

We now are DVC members, and she doesn't bother us about it anymore.

I've visited other cities in the US, lived and traveled in other countries. DH has travelled extensively both for business and vacations. We both like being immersed in the "magic" no passport required.

Our kids, (DS15, DS13, DD9, DS7, DS4, & DD2) haven't really vacationed any where else, except to visit family in other states. Even our DS13 said tonight he is excited about going to Disneyworld again.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: