Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

I don't have a lot to add except that I'm with y'all on this. I need to work more on the "Because we like it." technique, because I tend to ramble and try to convince people why it's so great, and after a few lines, I get the patronizing smile and nod....and i HATE that.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
ella6599
Mouseketeer

I actually fell in love with Disney as a young adult (college age) when I went on a trip there with my grandmother. Before that I'd gone to DL at age 7, and Epcot twice in my teens (after my mom said "let's skip the Magic Kingdom" because it's just kids stuff, but we can do Epcot before we cut our trip short). Since then I've gone once with DH (and my grandmother again...I only convinced him because we needed to go with her...and he fell in love). We've gone since with our kids- they are 9 and 11 and this will be their 6th trip.

I agree with EagleScout, too, though (which makes vacation planning fun...I think we need to take a vacation every other month to go to all the places I want to go and still get our Disney fix. LOL Sadly, work and school don't agree )
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

when fam and friends ask me that ? ..which they do all the time..i give them the same response....Why are you asking me that question again?..
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Yes and I find myself trying to convince my new SIL (who does not understand why we go at all, never mind more than once a year) to come with us in May.

How do you explain to somebody who has not been there? I don't think it's that she doesn't want to come with us but she just doesn't understand what would be appealing for HER. They have no kids yet so she just keeps telling my brother they can go when they have kids.

It's more fun BEFORE you have kids. You can ride all the thrill rides without having to wait for the shorties, you can eat in the restaurants whatever time of day you choose without having to worry about nap schedules or hungry kids, etc., etc. I absolutely adore my kids and love going with them but the best trips I have had have been without them.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
MICKEY'S DREAMERS

Bringing the WL to you one screensaver at a time

Smile

We live in Italy - and have been blessed by coming and vacationing to US every August over the past 18 years !!
WHY ? friends always ask us ; ITALY HAS SO MUCH TO OFFER etc etc ...
I don't care ! IMHO you get the "Disney magic" or not !!

Have we been somewhere else in the US ? Yes , of course , we have been to Washington , NYC , Boston, Chicago , all over Florida and California , at Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon , even to Hawaii !!
Every place has its own charme - but Disney makes you live into a tale , closer to your self ( or what your dreams used to be as a child ) !!

The only OTHER place that for us is "pure magic" is Hawaii - unreal and incredible as a Disney tale !!
BUT then again ... friends are asking : Haven't you been to Hawaii already ?

I guess people change vacation until they find what REALLY MAKES THEM FEEL HAPPY !! To me this is EITHER DISNEY ( we have also Dineyland PARIS quite close !!! ) or HAWAII !!

Who cares about what others think of ??

We are glad we found our HAPPY PLACEs !!!!

MICKEY'S DREAMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
mystery222184
Mouseketeer

Definitely agree that it's always nice to try other types of vacations as well. I went to Cabo last year for an all-inclusive week with friends, and being in the North East it is easy to frequent the various beaches, slopes, NYC, Hershey Park, etc...

As much as I love all of that, I simply does not compare to everything there is to experience in Disney World. If you want the caribbean feel, have a Lupa Lupa while laying on the Poly beach and add Club Level to your stay. Europe? Go to the World Showcase for food and drinks. Safari? Animal Kingdom. First class hotel & spa? Deluxe resorts and the GF. Nightlife? Downtown Disney.

I didn't even get to the Magic Kingdom and everything else Disney has to offer. I can go to Disney a couple times a year and have very different feeling vacations. I guess I will just have to continue to tell people....You just dont understand how much there is to do

Summer 1998: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2001: {Polynesian CL} ~ Spring 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Christmas 2012: {Polynesian CL} ~ Summer 2013: {Grand Floridian SL} ~ Christmas 2013: {Wilderness Lodge CL} ~ Summer 2014: {Polynesian CL} ~ Fall 2014: {Yacht Club CL/Grand Floridian RPC}
mystery222184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

My response is this.

#1, disneys level of service is top notch and has been that way from day one. I expect good service when on vacation, or I cant relax.

#2, disney is to a great extent what you make of it. me being a smart individual, I (like many on this board) can do it better and cheaper than most people. What costs them $5,000, i can do in $3,000 for example.

#3, most people see disney as another amuesment park. to me, the "rides" are only a small potion of what disney is. too many people dont take the time to stop and smell the roses.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We just smile and tell people that we go back because we like it. It's not like it's the only place we ever go. We've travelled fairly extensively all over the world. But when we want a comfortable, enjoyable and familiar getaway, we take a Disney vacation.

I'm still chuckling over something that happened last fall. We were taking a 2 week guided tour of Japan and adding on 3 extra days at the end to explore Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. Our guide was also the tour organizer and made all the advance arrangements for us. But when we met him for the first time he told us that he was truly puzzled why we would want to spend SO much time at TDR when we didn't have any children with us. We just smiled and told him that if he had to ask, it wouldn't be possible to explain.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Tormania
Mouseketeer

I'm looking forward to my 2nd ever trip to WDW this Dec and taking my DS for the first time. And I think it's great that others are able to go to WDW as often as they do, more power to them.

But for us while we will try to go every few years or so we have so many other things on our list we want to do for big vacations that if we went to WDW every year we would not have the opportunity to experience other things.

I've never been to Yellowstone and can't wait take my family there when my son is old enough to truly enjoy it.
Will want to take my son to DC and experience everything there. I've been twice and still haven't seen everything I want to see.
Want to visit Chicago again and have never been to NYC or Boston and want to visit those places as well.
Never been to Hawaii or Alaska or the Carribean.
Want to take a 2-week trip to Europe when my son is around 13-15 so that will be a big trip with lots of planning.

So while some folks are perfectly happy going to WDW every year (and I wish we could to), we will be making time over the next 15+ years for other marque vacations with a couple trips to WDW mixed in here and there.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
mermaidblue!
Earning My Ears

We've had family members get snarky about Disney. They thought it was ok when we went the first time...we have two kids and none of us had been there, so they thought that was ok. But when we went again two years later, well, that was another story! Many frosty, rude comments.

It's been nearly two years since that second Disney trip. We're planning to go in May, (every other year is perfect for us) but we are super hesitant to tell our families. We'll most likely say we're headed to the beach, which is true. One night at the beach, six in WDW.

For some reason, it's fine to spend thousands renting a beach house, (we did that years ago and it was just ok) but spending $2000 for a family of 4 doing a week at WDW & Pop Century is over the top. Go figure.
mermaidblue! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Still Have Not Been to Universal...

I keep thinking we should go to Sea World and Universal Studios one time instead of Disney World. I've never been there. So what does Universal really have to offer?

DW is not into thrill rides at all... and Space Mtn and Expedition Everest are about the maximum thrill DS7 wants to do. I don't like anything beyond that myself. DS and I will go on Tower of Terror but scares me to death... Will try Rock n Roller coaster next trip.

Other amusement parks like Six Flags would be a waste of money and time. We won't do the major thrill rides and the other rides are not much more than carnival rides.

For rides and amusements... Disney World has it all. There are a lot of mild to medium thrill rides, shows, parades, fireworks, music, and fun places to eat... great resorts with nice pools and good service, easy and free transportation to/from airport, magical express handling of my luggage. I love how all 4 parks are different. And what's not to like about the waterparks? And all the special on the side things to do... tours, listening to the music bands at Downtown Disney, halloween and Christmas parties, Star Wars weekends, food and wine festival, etc.....
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

My mom is the biggest complainer in my family (in all respects, but she's the one we hear this particular quote from). She has been with us, she has taken her other grandkids twice, she's taken her children numerous times and they took me to Disneyland Paris when I was a teenager - she still doesn't "get it". She very much only sees the castle. My dad said as long as she sees the kids having fun in MK, she's fine. We get criticized all the time for our Disney trips - but before that, we got criticized for our beach trips (like I said, she's a complainer).

It's like she expects us to take a European tour with the kids every year. So this year we are doing a 2+week trip across the country (driving) to California and stopping to see a ton of sights on the way. But my mom didn't let me down - she's complaining because we're taking our new baby (who will be two months old) on a trip like that. I can't win. But I have great vacations!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

disney again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeH View Post
My mom is the biggest complainer in my family (in all respects, but she's the one we hear this particular quote from). She has been with us, she has taken her other grandkids twice, she's taken her children numerous times and they took me to Disneyland Paris when I was a teenager - she still doesn't "get it". She very much only sees the castle. My dad said as long as she sees the kids having fun in MK, she's fine. We get criticized all the time for our Disney trips - but before that, we got criticized for our beach trips (like I said, she's a complainer).

It's like she expects us to take a European tour with the kids every year. So this year we are doing a 2+week trip across the country (driving) to California and stopping to see a ton of sights on the way. But my mom didn't let me down - she's complaining because we're taking our new baby (who will be two months old) on a trip like that. I can't win. But I have great vacations!
I get the same thing from my DBF's sister,just before my wdw/fantasy cruise last year she asked me if there was any where eles i would like to go and i said no. A little background i had a 2010 that i would not wish on any one. I lost my sister and mom and i was hit by a truck and then i got evecited from my house by my nasty brother (that's another story) Any way my sister sandy left me some money that i used for the wdw/fantasy cruise. Because sandy allways called me disney nut wdw was a good place to heele from losing her. The first ride i went on was star tours. So when people ask me why disney again i just smile and say it's my happy place and it's my vaction money. Also there will be family or firends that just don't get it.
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest
a proud stockholder and a mariner and seahawk fan for life
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #29
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Yes, I do get the question as to why I am going AGAIN. But as people get to know me, they also see the excitement and happiness in my eyes and generally, they are happy for me And there are a couple of people out there that think I'm plain nuts Since I have traveled to over 30 countries in my life and have taken many different types of trips (and still do, in between my Disney time), I think they judge my Disney vacation choice less harshly.

While I do like a well-rounded life experience, my Disney vacations are my 'happy' place. Backpacking in Eastern Europe may be a unique experience, but I don't need to get hauled off the train at 3 am to pay 'taxes' in the middle of nowhere Bulgaria as they hold my passport and sister hostage - again Nor do I care to dance around all the automatic weapons at the underground nightclub in Israel again. And I can do without China - not just the dog market and seriously funky water, but in general! Great experiences, HUGE amounts of stress! Disney is much less stressful for me and CLEAN!!!

As to those that look at me funky-eyed, I know they don't get it because they have either never been or the one time they went, they were totally unprepared and thus, experienced the 'worst' (long lines, not the best dining, bad off property stay, no resting during the day, etc). I do encourage these folks to really investigate Disney as a vacation destination and to do their own research. When I talk about the many resorts, different parks (there are many people who just think of MK as WDW), dining options, different things to do, and that you can drink alcohol as an adult - they usually look more into it!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
karenklo
DIS Veteran

I just that same reaction last night! I told my BIL and SIL that we were planning a trip in July. They asked why we don't go somewhere else. We have been all over the US, London, and just love Disney! I just always say that we love it and our kids love it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: