Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
mystery222184
Mouseketeer

Red face "Why Disney again!?"

I've gone to Disney both with family and as a young couple. I feel Disney has so much to offer and with several varying parks/resorts, you can get a taste of many different types of vacations in one. But I can't be the only one who gets the usual, "Why are you going to Disney again!?"....Too many people see Cinderella's Castle only and don't seem to understand all you can do and experience in Disney...

Summer 1998: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2001: {Polynesian CL} ~ Spring 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Summer 2010: {Grand Floridian} ~ Christmas 2012: {Polynesian CL} ~ Summer 2013: {Grand Floridian SL} ~ Christmas 2013: {Wilderness Lodge CL} ~ Summer 2014: {Polynesian CL} ~ Fall 2014: {Yacht Club CL/Grand Floridian RPC}
mystery222184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

The majority of people who go to Disney to not plan or read anything about WDW. Thus, they most likely miss out of a variety of attractions, activities, dining, events, etc, etc. Their overall experiences most likely do not compare to the individuals who post on this site who normally visit every other year, every year or multiple times-every year.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery222184 View Post
I've gone to Disney both with family and as a young couple. I feel Disney has so much to offer and with several varying parks/resorts, you can get a taste of many different types of vacations in one. But I can't be the only one who gets the usual, "Why are you going to Disney again!?"....Too many people see Cinderella's Castle only and don't seem to understand all you can do and experience in Disney...
You know, I was just talking about this with someone else.

My wife and I have no kids yet, we have been married a year and a half, in our late 20s early 30s. We honeymooned at Disney last February, and already our friends asked us ... "really ?".

They kind of blew it off as something cute, for a honeymoon they could kind of understand, but they still thought it was weird. "Don't you want to go down south ? Sit on a Beach ? Drink all day ? What about Europe ???" etc etc ...

We came back totally in love with disney, greatest 8 days of my life I think. And of course, couldn't wait to go back again. Sometime in the fall/early winter, people began planning trips for the winter (we live in Canada, we all try to get away for a bit if we can). A group of friends wanted us all to do Aruba, another Friend was booking Punta Cana and wanted us to come, Anothe group wanted to do Sandals, another couple were going somewhere else down south. We, wanted to do Disney again, even bigger and better than the last time, and we would have loved to share it with some of our 'young adult' friends...

The amount of crap we have gotten from our friends about "maybe we we have kids we will do disney" and "isn't that just a little kiddie?" or "Isn't there somewhere better you want to go, like an all inclusive beach resort ..." etc etc etc ....

Its so difficult to explain to people just how awesome disney is, how much there is to experience, how much you can do and at the same time how relaxing it all can be. How fully entertained you are ... its just awesome.

Its funny, our friends come back from their all inclusives, and they have a bunch of pictures, but not too many, and all they have really done is sat on the beach, drank, swam, and went out for dinner. After a while the pictures all just look the same. I am sure they all love it, and I am glad that it works for them.

My wife is working on her scrapbook (its her hobby), she is on Day 2 of our 8 day trip. I can tell you she has more pictures, and we had apparently done more in the first 2 days of our trip then our friends did on an entire week of their various beach resort vacations.

Disney is awesome. But it seems really hard to make people understand. I know I didn't, until I experienced it. One of the major reasons we booked it is because my wife is a huge Little Mermaid fan (Her grotto was closed while they were building FL2 ) and because they offered free dining ... couldn't pass it up. So glad we didn't.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Thankfully, my family gets Disney. His family? Not so much, lol.

This is why we aren't telling anyone (including family) that we're going back to WDW in April.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

While I fully agree Disney is great (have been nearly ten times as adult, including 2 trips with my 3 yo and another in a few months-yes, he is probably spoiled), I would just put out there that also good to expose kids-and ourselves - to other experiences, and sometimes good for body and soul just to relax-beach or spa gype vacation. As a kid( admittedly bit geeky), I used to LOVE -and still do-when we went to historical places like DC, williamsburg, etc, and I also enjoyed seeing the various parts of our country and the associated natural splendor and "unique" cities-rockies, beaches, texas, blue ridge mountains, niagara falls, new orleans, etc. And I can also appreciate a relaxing beach vacation-sometimes good just to recharge, and something about ocean is literally magical for our family. My 3yo loves disney, but he may like atlantic city beach even more
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

EagleScout, I totally agree. My son loves hiking to a waterfall in the Smokey Mts. just as much as he loves going to Disney. There are so many beautiful places we love to visit.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I have learned to not pay attention to people who question our vacation choices. It's our money and we'll spend it how we like.

We love Disney! In April, DH and I will be on our 9th trips to the world (7 of them with each other, both of us went twice as children). We did college spring breaks at Disney (while everyone else went to Cancun...). We honeymooned in Disney. . And yes, now we take our daughters. April will be their 4th trip.

We have priced out and thought about other options. We were even considering Atlantis or the Dominican Republic for next February instead of Disney, but ultimately we agreed that Disney gives us the best bang for our vacation dollar and we love the time we have at Disney as a family. That time is priceless.

We are lucky that we live in the great state of NH, so that we are easily able to expose our kids to other types of vacations. Staycations for us include the beach (45 minutes away), the mountains (1 hr away), Boston (less than 1 hour away) and NYC (just under 4 hours away). Plus, with my mom living in MD, my kids have been able to visit DC many times and all it has to offer. I definitely believe that it is important to balance out their exposures. But, when we talk about our "big" vacation for the year...it's Disney for this family.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We have been asked. My answer is always a polite, "We like it". There is no need to explain anything you do to anyone.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I have learned to not pay attention to people who question our vacation choices. It's our money and we'll spend it how we like.

We love Disney! In April, DH and I will be on our 9th trips to the world (7 of them with each other, both of us went twice as children). We did college spring breaks at Disney (while everyone else went to Cancun...). We honeymooned in Disney. . And yes, now we take our daughters. April will be their 4th trip. G

We have priced out and thought about other options. We were even considering Atlantis or the Dominican Republic for next February instead of Disney, but ultimately we agreed that Disney gives us the best bang for our vacation dollar and we love the time we have at Disney as a family. That time is priceless.

We are lucky that we live in the great state of NH, so that we are easily able to expose our kids to other types of vacations. Staycations for us include the beach (45 minutes away), the mountains (1 hr away), Boston (less than 1 hour away) and NYC (just under 4 hours away). Plus, with my mom living in MD, my kids have been able to visit DC many times and all it has to offer. I definitely believe that it is important to balance out their exposures. But, when we talk about our "big" vacation for the year...it's Disney for this family.
This is pretty much us as well. Living in MA, we are lucky to be surrounded by some of the greatest beaches & we've spent many summers down at the Cape, Newport, RI and the South County RI beaches. My girls have spent many a summer in Boston and up North in NH. We've taken them to Cali & spent 2 weeks visiting San Fran, Monterrey, Carmel, Lake Tahoe & everything in between. One has done DC, the other has no desire and DH & I travelled quite a bit before the girls were even born so we experienced quite a bit from Europe to the Carribean From the moment my girls experienced Disney though for the first time, they were hooked and Disney is their preferred vacation spot.

OP...I totally understand your situation, we too get the same reaction from our friends & family and I've learned to respond to the ones who get snarky

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

I get the same thing every time I book a trip - I love it and it really doesn't need much more explanation than that.

My DD and I have compromised that every other trip will be a non-Disney trip (although she likes WDW, she wants to explore other places too).

It's funny though, when those that ask that question decide to bring their family to WDW (and they do), they always ask me for help and advice!

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
delilah
DIS Veteran

I have acquaintances at work who have gone to Vegas every year with their buddies from college and they are now 42 years old. But, they don't want to take their kids to Disney. They went once about 3 years ago, when their kids were about 5 and 8. So, all I can say is there are different choices for different people.

But, I have never gone to Las Vegas, so, I am not sure whether I would like it. I know there are shows and stuff, but they are expensive. I don't know how to play gambling games, and the idea of feeding money into a "game" just doesn't appeal to me.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
While I fully agree Disney is great (have been nearly ten times as adult, including 2 trips with my 3 yo and another in a few months-yes, he is probably spoiled), I would just put out there that also good to expose kids-and ourselves - to other experiences, and sometimes good for body and soul just to relax-beach or spa gype vacation. As a kid( admittedly bit geeky), I used to LOVE -and still do-when we went to historical places like DC, williamsburg, etc, and I also enjoyed seeing the various parts of our country and the associated natural splendor and "unique" cities-rockies, beaches, texas, blue ridge mountains, niagara falls, new orleans, etc. And I can also appreciate a relaxing beach vacation-sometimes good just to recharge, and something about ocean is literally magical for our family. My 3yo loves disney, but he may like atlantic city beach even more
I agree with everything you said, but I have to say a beach vacation with a 3 yo is not even close to relaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
This is pretty much us as well. Living in MA, we are lucky to be surrounded by some of the greatest beaches & we've spent many summers down at the Cape, Newport, RI and the South County RI beaches. My girls have spent many a summer in Boston and up North in NH. We've taken them to Cali & spent 2 weeks visiting San Fran, Monterrey, Carmel, Lake Tahoe & everything in between. One has done DC, the other has no desire and DH & I travelled quite a bit before the girls were even born so we experienced quite a bit from Europe to the Carribean From the moment my girls experienced Disney though for the first time, they were hooked and Disney is their preferred vacation spot.

OP...I totally understand your situation, we too get the same reaction from our friends & family and I've learned to respond to the ones who get snarky
this is us too. we do so much other than disney, but our whole family loves disney vacations, so we try to go as much as we can. we are just back, and before the plane landed I already decided when the next trip will be, LOL
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

I just got back from my annual trip in January and I'm going back in March. When people ask why go again so soon, I explain to them I want to celebrate my 21st birthday in Disney...you know, have my first drink there. Well, most of them tell me Disney doesn't serve alcohol...yeah. I usually reply with 'then they would be out of business if that were the case' (alcohol brings in a lot of money for them!)

If they knew that I'm planning on going back for F&W and MNSSHP, they're going to think I'm frivolous and rich. I'm not rich by any means, I just know where to spend my money!
GraceMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I was lucky enough to grow up with a place to go each winter and summer; since my grandparents owned a house and property on a lake. It was an idllyic place to grow up.

When they passed away and we sold it, because it was so far away, I was also ironically turning 40 the following year. I thought it was finally time to go out and discover the world and travel; not married and no children.

My boss suggested going to Disney on the land/sea package; he had just returned from one with his family.

I was hooked; it not only re-introduced me to Disney (I had been twice before on very short trips), but got me hooked on cruising.

I like the fact that I have a place I can look forward to going every year, just like my grandparents, that I feel very safe traveling alone or able to share with others. I also like the fact that it introduced to the cruise side and I have had an opportunity to discover new places.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

We get the eye roll when we tell others we are going back too but we don't care! It is our favorite vacation spot! We live in the mountains so we experience it daily. We are an hour and half from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge so we can do those in one day. My DH does not enjoy the beach but we both LOVE Disney and all it has to offer. Many don't realize all that you can do. We are going back for our third trip in three years this summer and we are probably more excited than we were the first trip. There are so many more things the kids will get to do this time. Plus, this will be our first DVC stay!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: