Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Grand Floridian vs Contemporary

Which do you prefer? Contemporary magic kingdom view or grand floridian garden view. Going in April and am a little concerned about construction at the floridian. Prices are very close with contemporary about $30 more per night. 2 adults no children.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2
Which do you prefer? Contemporary magic kingdom view or grand floridian garden view. Going in April and am a little concerned about construction at the floridian. Prices are very close with contemporary about $30 more per night. 2 adults no children.
Oops wrong forum
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
guynhawaii
Mouseketeer

Totally up to your taste

Aloha,

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different themed resorts. What appeals to you? If you are a kid at heart and like to watch the monorail go through the CR, enjoy a front row seat of the fireworks and like to take in all of the Disney atmosphere, then CR is for you.

If you like a Victorian resort, more elegance, slower pace, more exclusive then the GF is for you.

My family and I (two children and wife) have stayed at both and prefer the CR because that's what we're currently into. We're from Hawaii so we stay away from the Poly. We always get the Atrium Club Level facing the MK. The Disney atmosphere (train and boat whistles, watching all of the lake traffic and the MK rides, watching the fireworks explode right in front of you, walking right aboard the monorail from our room, etc...). We get an odd number room so the kids go to bed at night facing the MK.

I personally think the GF is more of an elegant retreat, less Disney, more elegance.

Once again, it totally depends upon what thrills you the most.
guynhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

It depends on what's most important to you. For me, it would be the MK view so I would go with the Contemporary.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

To be honest my preference would be the Poly instead. However for the two choices you have I'd give the edge to the Contemporary MK view. I'm not a fan of the Contemporary overall but looking out your window at the MK is just spectacular.

I've always felt a bit out of place at the GF. A garden view won't be great and certainly nothing like a MK view. I wouldn't worry about the construction next door though as they are pretty careful about what times they do noisy construction activities. You may luck out with a garden view on the other side of the resort anyway.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Only going by what others have said. The walk to the Contemporary is easy, but hard. After being on their feet all day, the thought of walking the additional distance back to the Contemporary is tough, though having to wait for a Monorail is just as tough, because the distance back is so close. Been told by many that even though the Monorail goes through resort, the only time they took it was to take the short trip to the TTC to change monorails, on their way to EPCOT.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

Ever since the Grand Floridian was being built, I've wanted to stay there. I can honestly say I never felt that way about the Contemporary. And after being in and around the Polynesian, I probably wouldn't choose that either.
I love the looks of the Grand Floridian and promised myself that one day I'd stay there. And now that's unlikely to happen.
Even when we were living in FL and had annual passes and all the "discounts" available because of that, I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $$ above and beyond what it cost at a Moderate.
Whichever you choose, I hope you have a fantastic time!
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We love the Contemporary - but we love it for it's location (we have young kids who usually like to go to MK four or five times in one trip).

It's my dream to stay at the Grand Floridian. We'll be staying at the Grand Californian in DLR this summer, but GF is still several trips away (we want to go all out when we stay there and really make the most of it).

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Of the two options, Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK is a huge advantage for us.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Reese D
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at both and normally, I would say GF, however, for this year, I would choose the Contemporary just because of the construction at the GF. That mess would drive me mad.
Reese D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Of the two options, Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK is a huge advantage for us.
100% agree.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

We enjoy both, but what I really enjoy is staying club Level. At CR, I like Bay Lake view CL (beautiful lake view from our room, upper floor, and MK view from the lounge whenever we want) , and GF we liked Outer Club Standard view. (I'm not sure if maybe we weren't upgraded: we ended up with, but one room had a pool view, the other had a marina view. GF CL did not see castle, but had excellent food!)

They are both beautiful resorts.

Construction has rarely been a problem whenever we've stayed at a resort that had some happeneing. If the pool is closed, that can be a slight bummer, but you'll know when you book. At GF you'll still get a nice pool at your resort. The only other inconveniece was when monrail was down. I dont think that will happen to you, but if that's a concern- go with CR.

Of the two, GF has been ambiance and better TS dining. Last year the QS at GF was not good at breakfast the one morning we tried it- but otherwise the TS places are excellent. The CL food was great.
CR is a bit the reverse. It has less ambiance, the pool is less fun- but the QS is great. The TS are not as great (The Wave has good food, just little ambiance). CR has a huge advantage though when it comes to transportation. Of all the resorts on property, it's got a big plus. You can quickly get to any WS showcase TS dining- even WL via boat. Getting around withn the resort is fast and easy- much faster than most other resorts - including GF and Poly. Even self parking is close, at GF self parking lot is far. Another big plus of CR- as long as MK is open - you can get to any of the other resorts via bus via MK bus stop.

Two places that are NOT convenient from either CR or GF are the World Showcase and DTD (esp via bus). If you want to be close to WS eating- stay at one of the BWK area deluxes.

Yes, the walk from CR to MK is about 10-15minutes to the gate. If you have been to the MK bus stop- it's about twice the walk from those stops. Once you are at CR tower- as long as your room is in the tower- you are basically at your room. At GF or Poly- once you arrive back at the resort via monorail -you still have to go down and out of the main building, walk to your building, and go up to your floor. You also have to wait for the monorail. At CR- most people don't take the monorail bacuse it's often faster to walk- no wait.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses even though this is kinda in the wrong forum. It would only be for two nights, so maybe the contemporary is the way to go so we can experience the magic kingdom view before heading over to the wonderful but very different boardwalk.

Everyone keeps saying avoid the GF during construction. I guess that construction is a serious eye sore.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

We love the CR but would also really like the chance to stay at the GF sometime. Just a little too pricey for us. BUT, simply due to the construction, I'd stay at the CR this time. The construction is pretty unsightly, especially near the beach/pool area. I would not want to be paying those sort of rates for anything less than the best.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
Been told by many that even though the Monorail goes through resort, the only time they took it was to take the short trip to the TTC to change monorails, on their way to EPCOT.
This is my experience, and we love CR (BLT, actually, but that's unimportant for the purposes of the question) for this reason. I would add, although at the end of the day it may seem like the last thing you'd want to do is do that last walk back to the resort, in our experience, that is far preferable to taking the monorail, which involves walking up a ramp in the opposite direction, probably waiting before walking up a ramp some more, eventually getting on and taking a short ride, getting off, and walking more to get to your room. If you just keep moving as you exit the park, it's a drop in the bucket and a real relief to see your final destination basically steps away.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: