Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #76
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotifNumberOne
That being said, I'm moderately sure you're a troll, so enjoy the thread!
Lol. I tend to assume troll always when the subject is a hot mess. That doesn't mean the topic isn't interesting.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #77
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
So it is ok to sexualize a young lady but you also believe is purity ring concepts? I don't understand how that computes.

Dress up like a hooker, strut around encouraging fantasy but don't act on any of it. :/
Like I said, dd is not in pageants. She was in dance at one time--ballet, tap and hip hop. Now she is in Show Choir.

Not sure what it is that you feel sexualizes--is it the costumes, the make up, or their presence on stage?

The dresses they wear do not sexualize them. So maybe the costumes for their talent or whatever its called. I haven't seen any that are so different than a lot of dance costumes or cheer uniforms (and very young girls are getting into cheer these days). Or maybe its the make-up, well it stands to reason that if a child is in a beauty contest that make up is going to be used on stage--same for dance and competitive cheer. Some too much and over the top and some not so much. Make up has to be worn pretty heavy to show up under those lights.

How does it compute? One has nothing to do with the other.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #78
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

I would like to preface this by emphasizing that I am not suggesting every single pageant girl is an idiot.

That being said, does anyone remember about ten years ago or so the Miss America pageant added some sort of quiz portion to the final competition? I just remember thinking it was hysterical that the organization says the stereotype that beauty queens are stupid is a bad rap and they are actually really smart, accomplished young women and blah blah blah. I assume they did the quiz portion that year to provide support for their position.

The quiz was given to the ten finalists and I believe there were ten questions. I wasn't even thinking about the questions and got eight correct with no trouble. I think one, maybe two, of the contestants got eight right. The only question they all got right was the question asking where the next summer Olympics would be held. These were not difficult questions. However, the five or however many that made it to the next round only answered two or three of the ten questions correctly. So basically, the organization argues that they are beautiful, intelligent, accomplished young women and then the ones that the move to the next round are the biggest airheads and morons left. Smooth.

Mmhmm.....yeah those girls were Rhodes scholars in the making. They only did that portion of the pageants once. Maybe because it made the entire pageant industry look like idiots? I don't know but it sure was funny.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #79
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I want to be clear, that I'm only answering this because you asked directly. I would never tell someone that the hobby they chose for their child is wrong, unless it was something like Toddler fight club....
Ssssshhh...remember the 1st rule of Toddler Fight Club....
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #80
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

So OP, what are your thoughts after reading all of these posts?

And kudos to the Disers for giving their opinions without attacking anyone on this controversial topic.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #81
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

ANything that has little girls wearing professional adult makeup, fake hair, fake teeth, fake nails and fake anything else is just wrong. So basically, you aren't anything based on your own merits but must disguise yourself in fakeness to win. Sorry, I woudn't be able to handle that. There is not one redeeming child quality that is even judged.

While dance, cheer, etc does have some all that makeup and sometimes odd choices in costumes, at least these girls are developing a talent, working with a team and being physically fit. There is talent , discipline, dedication and hard work there.

Walking down a stage ,at a young age, full of prostestics is
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #82
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
ANything that has little girls wearing professional adult makeup, fake hair, fake teeth, fake nails and fake anything else is just wrong. So basically, you aren't anything based on your own merits but must disguise yourself in fakeness to win. Sorry, I woudn't be able to handle that. There is not one redeeming child quality that is even judged.

While dance, cheer, etc does have some all that makeup and sometimes odd choices in costumes, at least these girls are developing a talent, working with a team and being physically fit. There is talent , discipline, dedication and hard work there.

Walking down a stage ,at a young age, full of prostestics is
I agree about the fake anything, I don't think they should do that.

Don't these girls have to do a talent of some sort? And isn't there some modeling involved?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #83
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
I agree about the fake anything, I don't think they should do that.

Don't these girls have to do a talent of some sort? And isn't there some modeling involved?
I don't think the talent portion kick in until they are a little older. The OP's 10 year old may have to do a talent for example but I don't think the really young ones do beyond a little dance in a costume.

I wouldn't consider modeling a skill or redeeming feature of child beauty pageants.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #84
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Some if the dance costumes and makeup for dance and cheer are a little too much too. That part isn't limited to pageants. But until judges start deducting points or disqualifying people, those boundaries will continue to get pushed.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #85
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Yuck. Those pageants are disgusting and creepy to me. I feel sorry for the kids involved. They're just kids - they don't know that mom has put them in an activity that many people find abhorrent or questionable at the least. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but OP did ask.

Also, maybe I shouldn't say this, but the people around here who are involved in that stuff seem to have taken an extra dose of redneck.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
I don't think the talent portion kick in until they are a little older. The OP's 10 year old may have to do a talent for example but I don't think the really young ones do beyond a little dance in a costume.

I wouldn't consider modeling a skill or redeeming feature of child beauty pageants.
Yeah, I was thinking of the OP's child's age.

You don't think it does enough training for modeling or you don't think its worth worrying about whether it helps to do modeling?

I was just looking at the pictures from the link someone posted and they are most definitely photogenic. I would think that most of those girls could do some modeling. (not cat-walk/fashion show but ads and such)

Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #87
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLWKBWkn3s
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #88
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Lol. I tend to assume troll always when the subject is a hot mess. That doesn't mean the topic isn't interesting.
This is the second thread she started on pageants this week. Previously she asked if there were any pageant coaches in Arkansas. Perhaps that one didn't get the responses she was looking for.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #89
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Hilarious, okeydokey! Tom Hanks is great - he really pegged the whole cheesy thing, hahaha! Also, Jimmy Kimmel and Ron Howard - too funny! Thanks for posting the link.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #90
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Like I said, dd is not in pageants. She was in dance at one time--ballet, tap and hip hop. Now she is in Show Choir.

Not sure what it is that you feel sexualizes--is it the costumes, the make up, or their presence on stage?

The dresses they wear do not sexualize them. So maybe the costumes for their talent or whatever its called. I haven't seen any that are so different than a lot of dance costumes or cheer uniforms (and very young girls are getting into cheer these days). Or maybe its the make-up, well it stands to reason that if a child is in a beauty contest that make up is going to be used on stage--same for dance and competitive cheer. Some too much and over the top and some not so much. Make up has to be worn pretty heavy to show up under those lights.

How does it compute? One has nothing to do with the other.
New rule in cheer: Everybody except seniors must have full top uniforms. No more crop tops for the little ones. And there is a rule on the length of skirts/shorts. So, you can't use competitive cheer as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Some if the dance costumes and makeup for dance and cheer are a little too much too. That part isn't limited to pageants. But until judges start deducting points or disqualifying people, those boundaries will continue to get pushed.
The cheer industry is trying to distance themselves from any kind of pageantry image. They want the focus on the athletics of the sport, not the imagery. So yes, starting in a couple of years (need to let the current uniforms age out), crop tops is out for everyone except seniors and anything suggestive is forbidden. Starting this year, all teams must remain covered up unless on the mat or at awards. So, everyone has to wear their warmups over their uniforms. So, no little tinies running around in a crop top and teeny skirt.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 02-22-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pageants

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: