Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #166
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Isn't in total unrealistic to believe no one ever "judges" based on perception? The reality is human beings are perceptional creatures. Yes, the way you dress, speak, act sends certain "messages". if you wear a police uniform, yes I totally judge you are not out on public selling drugs. Sure some times it's wrong, but for the most part Howe you look plays an important part in relationship. Now if I dress my 10 year old up as a 20 year old in suggestive clothing then have her perform some serious "put a ring on it" gyrations. All of a sudden were going to pretend it does not convey a certain attitude?

Call me judgmental then, my sons do not dress like thugs. They do not leave my house with there pants hanging below their backside, they do not wear sneakers without shoe strings. Why? Because i do not raise thugs not hood rats and no you don't get to look like one.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #167
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

As far as I'm concerned pageants, glitz or not, are an antiquated activity that promotes a terrible mindset. Pretty is the most important thing and if you aren't the prettiest you are a loser.

I was I pageants as a child and my sister as well. My mother had to beg me to do them. She bribed me with a new prom dress so I would be in my high school pageant. So I know what I speak of.

There is no way on earth I would put one of my girls out there for a rank stranger to "judge" if she is pretty or not. I know they are PLUS they have many other more important qualities that cannot be judged. That makes them who they are not what they look like in hooker makeup.

And all those "they learn poise and interview skills"? Huh? Poise is: Noun
Graceful and elegant bearing in a person. Why would an 8 year old need that or interview skills? Do they really, REALLY think they are going to be stars that will be interviewed? How many celebrities started out in pageants?

I have a friend whose girlfriend and future wife was involved in pageants and he detested them. He would say, "if you really want to see who is the prettiest, have them jump right out of bed in the morning, go to the garden to work all day and then see who looks the best."
J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #168
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Are you talking about dance or pageants?
I'm really talking about all of these activities where a young girl is dressed in a revealing manner and dances in an age-inappropriate way in public, whether it's pageants, cheer, or dance. I've never been to a pageant, but I've seen cheerleader and dance routines recently that were absolutely shocking. I had no idea that cheerleading and dance had sunk to such a level. It didn't used to be this way, and it doesn't have to be this way now. To me, it's a reflection of the moral decay of our society. Like I said earlier, I'm certainly no uptight prude or anything, but this is really appalling to me because these are kids doing this stuff.

I think that the adults in charge of these things are really undermining the parents' attempts to teach modesty and morality to their girls by having them perform in such an objectionable manner, and I think parents really should consider the mixed message that this is sending to their daughters and get these "cheer coaches" and whatnot to do the right thing and stop having these young girls do these trashy routines.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pageants

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: